PDA

View Full Version : 12 Hour Coolant flush

SILVER2000SVT
11-21-2005, 09:47 AM
I had a coolant flush on my to-do list for this past Saturday. I figured this would take a couple of hours tops....

I went to autozone and got a couple of bottles of flush, a bottle of water wetter and a couple of gallons of anti-freeze.

I started off nice and neat and drained the radiator, and the engine block. THe water was greenish red, it was bad but I've seen a lot worse before.

Then I filled the system back up with the two bottles of flush and purified water. I then ran the truck for about 15min until the thermostat opened and then about another 10-15min to circulate the flush really well.

I have a Reverse Osmosis DI water filter system for the Aquarium which makes great purified water for just about anything, so I don't have to buy the bottled distilled water at the store.

I drained the flush and the water that came out was really dark, I couldn't even see the bottom of the bucket with 1" of the flush in there.

I then filled the system up with the purified water again (thinking this would be the final rinse), Ran the engine until warm and then drained again. It was still really dark brown....

This was when I went ahead an replaced the waterpump with the new navigator water pump, and changed the 160 thermostat back to a new 180 degree.

I ran another rinse cycle. Each time draining the radiator and engine block and I'm getting a little over 3 gallons out. It was still brown.
I repeated this 12 times!!! by the time I got to the 12th time the rinse water was where I could finally see the bottom of the bucket, barely. It looked like extremely dark pee. Here's the thing that worried me the most, I was getting a lot of particles out each time I drained it. It looked like iron and rust particles. It started with about a tablespoon full with the first rinse, and by the time I got to the 12th rinse I was only getting a small amount, maybe 1/4 of a teaspoon. The last couple of rinses I used the purifed water, but inbetween I just used hose water, my filter system couldn't make water fast enough to use it every time.

It's a 2000 and this was it's first coolant change/flush in 5 years and 50K miles. This is why you should do this ever year or two like they recommend! I'll probably do mine again in 6 months or so, just because it still wasn't as clean as I had hoped it would be.

Silver_2000
11-21-2005, 10:11 AM
I wonder if your heater core is rotting ?

SILVER2000SVT
11-21-2005, 10:22 AM
I wonder if your heater core is rotting ?

You may have a point, something could be wrong like that. I know the particles were really dark in color, almost black. Some were in clumps, but if I pinched those clumps between my fingers it would just be grainy and powdery. My thought is that it was the cooling jacket flashing and iron particles from the block.

My thought is that I couldn't get it all to drain out each time, and that I was just diluting it each time. But If I wasn't getting it all out where was it at, I figured if I drained the radiator and the block I should have gotten most of it.

dboat
11-21-2005, 01:22 PM
I do mine every 2 years. :eek2:

QDRHRSE
11-21-2005, 01:59 PM
Regardless of how miles you drive a year, 1 or 1,000,000, you need to flush the system a minumum of once a year. The only way you guys are going to get your trucks to last is if you maintain them well. Mobile 1 every 3k isn't enough. I am surprised at hearing some of this stuff from you guys. The aluminum radiators in newer vehicles are not as durable as the old copper/brass units of the past. They are also thinner and consequently clog much easier. Plus aluminum oxydizes. I have 3 friends that own shops that specialize in radiators, cooling, and a/c. They would take my truck away if found out that I was falling behind on routine stuff like that. Shame on you!

:nono: :nono: :nono:

SILVER2000SVT
11-21-2005, 02:09 PM
... Shame on you!

:nono: :nono: :nono:

:o

I probably deserve that....

I'm wondering if I should pull the radiator and do a reverse flush, because I saw all the particles in the rinse water? I can just see those particles clogging the inlet side of the radiator if there were enough of them.

Moonshine
11-21-2005, 05:06 PM
Mobile 1 every 3k isn't enough.

So, how often would you advocate doing oil/filter changes? And what do you predict as the dire results of failure to follow that maintenance schedule?

Silver_2000
11-21-2005, 05:16 PM
So, how often would you advocate doing oil/filter changes? And what do you predict as the dire results of failure to follow that maintenance schedule?

I think he means you have to do MORE than just change the oil

QDRHRSE
11-21-2005, 05:37 PM
I don't mean it that way silly! What I mean is premature oil changes with synthetic oil isn't enough....it helps though! Its a good start but there's alot of other things too. For example: servicing your cooling system yearly. That's what I mean.

dboat
11-21-2005, 08:45 PM
Ok,
I have done a lot of research on the oil thing and changing your synthetic oil more often that every 3k miles just isnt worth it.. I change mine every 6k miles and use a M1 filter. That is more than enough to keep the engine in tip top shape.. you could go even further on the miles than I do, but I am AR about it..
Dana

03LightningRocks
11-21-2005, 09:53 PM
Ok,
I have done a lot of research on the oil thing and changing your synthetic oil more often that every 3k miles just isnt worth it.. I change mine every 6k miles and use a M1 filter. That is more than enough to keep the engine in tip top shape.. you could go even further on the miles than I do, but I am AR about it..
Dana

Damn...I change my oil every 5-6 miles. Yes I use mobile one. I also change my fuel filter every 5-6 miles. Sometimes even more. Radiator gets flushed every 50-60 miles.

Man....3000 miles??? Holy sh!t!!!!!!! What the hell is wrong with you people???

Oh yeah...I go through about 8-10 sets of plugs a year.

Rocks

Mark #2
11-21-2005, 10:03 PM
Damn...I change my oil every 5-6 miles. Yes I use mobile one. I also change my fuel filter every 5-6 miles. Sometimes even more. Radiator gets flushed every 50-60 miles.

Man....3000 miles??? Holy sh!t!!!!!!! What the hell is wrong with you people???

Oh yeah...I go through about 8-10 sets of plugs a year.

Rocks

Changing plugs now, Mobil 1 and filter tomorrow, fuel filter this weekend, I hate changing that filter . About every 1K miles for me but I drive mine everyday.:D

Showtime
11-21-2005, 11:01 PM
Changing plugs now, Mobil 1 and filter tomorrow, fuel filter this weekend, I hate changing that filter . About every 1K miles for me but I drive mine everyday.:D
<

QDRHRSE
11-22-2005, 12:04 PM
Ok,
Dana

I was just using that as an example. I change mine every 6k too. Although I haven't had my L long enough to do that. I noticed that a lot of people do that and I was just making the point that there is a lot more that you need to do than just use sythetic oil and change it alot. Your cooling system, intercooling system, oil, air filter, tranny,plugs....all need routine care/maintainance. I didn't mean to freak everybody out. By the way, you can get Moblile1 pretty cheap @ Sams Club and Costco. I usually stock up. I use it in everything.

dboat
11-22-2005, 01:47 PM
I was just using that as an example. I change mine every 6k too. Although I haven't had my L long enough to do that. I noticed that a lot of people do that and I was just making the point that there is a lot more that you need to do than just use sythetic oil and change it alot. Your cooling system, intercooling system, oil, air filter, tranny,plugs....all need routine care/maintainance. I didn't mean to freak everybody out. By the way, you can get Moblile1 pretty cheap @ Sams Club and Costco. I usually stock up. I use it in everything.

Wow, we agree:tu: .. I use M1 in all my cars, and my 4 cycle yard stuff..

microsuck
11-22-2005, 03:06 PM
U usually just stick the water hose in the radiator hole and just leave it on while the engine runs. It cuts down your coolant flush time by like 10000% ;)

03LightningRocks
11-22-2005, 09:04 PM
Wow, we agree:tu: .. I use M1 in all my cars, and my 4 cycle yard stuff..

Would you two like a room? :cool:

QDRHRSE
11-22-2005, 11:19 PM
Would you two like a room? :cool:

Don't be jealous Rocks! We love you too. I would watch out for me though. I have SUPERSPERM....and I just found out that my wife is pregnant. Unless Dana wants some baby action too- he might want to steer clear as well!!!knana

dboat
11-23-2005, 02:16 AM
Don't be jealous Rocks! We love you too. I would watch out for me though. I have SUPERSPERM....and I just found out that my wife is pregnant. Unless Dana wants some baby action too- he might want to steer clear as well!!!knana

nope, way too old for that...