PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever driven an 18-wheeler?

my2002lightning
11-30-2005, 10:48 PM
I spoke 2x today with one of my close college-friends/groomsmen, Dustin. He was the big-guy/orange sweatshirt with me at Hallsville last yr. for the TALON Fall Classic.

He's quitting his 9-5 job and starting his own independent trucking business.:bowsDustin's buying 1-2 yo. Freightliner Columbia/Century double-sleeper and doing free-lance work. knana

He's picking it up in 1-2 weeks and I get to drive it! :nana2:bowsAssuming my right-arm is better by then.:hammer:

The catch is I have to let Dustin drive the L. :evilThis is going to be fun!

I'll mention the possibility of maybe getting a flat-bed/car-hauler to run to KCIR '06 if any are interested to haul Ls up/back from there. If interested, let me know.

It's going to look very similar to this, but not sure what final color the rig is going to be.

http://www.computrucks.com/img/trucks/039793.jpg

Ronald

tiffo60
11-30-2005, 10:56 PM
we have a couple at my company and there fun to drive just to feel the power of them, when you have 40,000lbs behind you and you take off with ease its pretty cool, but you get tired of shifting gears after a while

gagspa
11-30-2005, 11:12 PM
My cousin owns a couple of trucks that he leases out to companies. I have gone for several ride-alongs with him, but never driven it.

skalywags
11-30-2005, 11:48 PM
isn't that what Trei did, as well? Sounds like it's working out pretty good, too!

Nuhklz
12-01-2005, 06:33 AM
I drove one in the service hauling fuels and earth moving equipment all over Germany. I was in the 37th trans company and drove an International 4070 cabover. I have lots of stories...

Sixpipes
12-01-2005, 08:09 AM
It's a beating IMO. People that do that for a living have my respect for sure. :cool:

tliss
12-01-2005, 10:17 AM
It's a beating IMO. People that do that for a living have my respect for sure. :cool:

My brother-in-law drives for a living and it is a beating. The plus side is they get to eat all that greasy truck stop food and talk all that trucker lingo on the CB! :tu: Tell him to stay away from "commercial fun." They ARE NOT referring to that retarded dancing old guy on the ads for Six Flags.:eek:

Freelance is the way to go, as I have heard working for the big trucking companies really sucks. Most of them drive your ass off and pay you crap.

Tom

microsuck
12-02-2005, 04:15 PM
Yeah, my diesel only has 6 gears and shifting that thing is a full time job. I cant imagine a 12 speed!!! No seriously, I hit the redline at 11mph in 1st:eek: