PDA

View Full Version : How many tunes can an EXCAL2 hold?

QDRHRSE
12-06-2005, 03:34 PM
How many tunes can an SCT EXCAL2 hold? Can additional tunes be sent and loaded over the net?

I bought an Art Carr 2400 rpm connverter. A lot of you told me a while back that this is a good street converter and that I will still be able to do some towing. Is this still true? Just checking. I've got my new motor going in Sunday....trying to get everything organized. Is there anything special that I might need? Which plugs should I run (I have a new set of NGKTR6's or TR7's- not sure which)?

Thanks,

Tom

LivinEZ
12-06-2005, 04:45 PM
4 and yes for the tuner portion of your question

tiffo60
12-06-2005, 06:36 PM
most people use the tr6's

BC Lightning
12-06-2005, 06:45 PM
Xcal 2 is an awesome tuner :tu:

2400 stall you can still tow with, I tow my boat and towed my trailer down to the TFC this weekend :tu:

TR6 plugs :tu:

QDRHRSE
12-06-2005, 08:28 PM
Sweet! Thanks.

L8 APEX
12-06-2005, 08:38 PM
3 custom tunes plus the factory tune. The Art Carr is as good as stock in any condition.

QDRHRSE
12-06-2005, 09:02 PM
What does as good as stock mean? Does that mean it's a POS or it will perform as good as stock? Also, I'm thinking of selling the switch chip that's at your shop and having you get me an EXCAL2. I guess I need to PM you about it. I've got all m parts so I know exactly what combo I'm running now. Any news about the rims? I gotta ask:) .

L8 APEX
12-06-2005, 09:20 PM
What does as good as stock mean? Does that mean it's a POS or it will perform as good as stock? Also, I'm thinking of selling the switch chip that's at your shop and having you get me an EXCAL2. I guess I need to PM you about it. I've got all m parts so I know exactly what combo I'm running now. Any news about the rims? I gotta ask:) .
Loaded them up will see if they are warrantable if not they are junk.

QDRHRSE
12-06-2005, 09:22 PM
What about the converter? Junk? One of my friends got me a smokin deal. Does that mean that eventually it will be a tranny smokin deal?

L8 APEX
12-06-2005, 09:34 PM
I only sell Art Carrs they have excellent street manners. They are as good as stock IMO in their driving manners. Most aftermarket converters make a lot of heat and cause driveability issues.

dboat
12-08-2005, 01:14 PM
Loaded them up will see if they are warrantable if not they are junk.

The paperwork says a lifetime warranty.. if they dont cover them.. then :flaming:

because I dont want it to be me :crying:

Dana

QDRHRSE
12-08-2005, 04:00 PM
You tell 'em Dana! Good for me. I want you on my team!:beer:

L8 APEX
12-08-2005, 08:06 PM
The paperwork says a lifetime warranty.. if they dont cover them.. then :flaming:

because I dont want it to be me :crying:

Dana
He said their invoices print that phrase automatically. It is not for the chrome, their is no lifetime warranty chrome I know of. He said they are 1 year warranty (purchse 2/03) and it @ 600 bucks to re chrome them. I told them to go ahead since they are worthless as is.

dboat
12-08-2005, 08:19 PM
He said their invoices print that phrase automatically. It is not for the chrome, their is no lifetime warranty chrome I know of. He said they are 1 year warranty (purchse 2/03) and it @ 600 bucks to re chrome them. I told them to go ahead since they are worthless as is.

not sure I'll net anything out of that but lets get er done and get em sold..
Thanks
Dana

L8 APEX
12-08-2005, 09:36 PM
not sure I'll net anything out of that but lets get er done and get em sold..
Thanks
Dana
That's what I was thinkin'.

QDRHRSE
12-09-2005, 10:48 AM
Let me know what happens. I really need wheels soon.

dboat
12-09-2005, 07:54 PM
The only other thing that crossed my mind was to get them sandblasted and painted... but its too late for that now.. could have come up with some weird combo to try out..
Dana

QDRHRSE
12-09-2005, 08:22 PM
Terry,

Hopefully you see this. The stupid F..k's @ Fedex dropped by new torque converter and bent one of the studs on the back. Can that be fixed without taking the thing apart? I don't have time to send it back or fight with Fedex because it needs to go in on Sunday. Can the stud be bent back and rethreaded?

L8 APEX
12-09-2005, 08:32 PM
Terry,

Hopefully you see this. The stupid F..k's @ Fedex dropped by new torque converter and bent one of the studs on the back. Can that be fixed without taking the thing apart? I don't have time to send it back or fight with Fedex because it needs to go in on Sunday. Can the stud be bent back and rethreaded?
The clutch is glued to the plate behind the stud. If it deforms then it burns the clutch. Or the stud will break off when you tighten it up.

QDRHRSE
12-10-2005, 02:15 PM
The clutch is glued to the plate behind the stud. If it deforms then it burns the clutch. Or the stud will break off when you tighten it up.

Terry,

This is not true, but just the same, you are right. There's nothing glued in there and the clutch kind if floats. Its sprocket shaped and fits in the cover sort of like a motorcycle clutch fiber fits into its clutch basket.

I didn't know it but I live close to, pehaps, the best converter builder in California. They build serious $hit for a lot of places. They're called Valco. My friend put me in touch with them. I went over there and they told me that the billet cover on the converter was toast. I decided to have them fix it and we cut the converter open...I guess they were actually closed but since I know some people I got the grand tour. The old timer showed me everything you could ever want to know about a converter. I will send pics of the inside of a heavily moded Art Carr unit next week. He's not going to weld it up until I come to pick it up. I'm sorry to say but an Art Carr converter is really a sub par unit. They use phenolic pieces for the stator covers, don't really weld the fins in the converter, and use sub standard clutch material. I was really surprised.

QDRHRSE
12-10-2005, 05:13 PM
I actually need to appologize. I re-read your post and yes the clutch is fused to the plate behind the cover. For some reason I thought that you we're saying the clutch was part of the cover or something. I don't know what I was thinking. I should probably not stress out about all this stuff but its killing me.