PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ever blown a motor in the 1/4 mile?

Mark #2
12-15-2005, 09:44 PM
I know JDM did it once, but how many others on stock blocks?

Seems like it happens on the street most of the time.

L8 APEX
12-15-2005, 09:50 PM
I have seen a few at least two were on NOS over 100 shots.

Mark #2
12-15-2005, 10:00 PM
I have seen a few at least two were on NOS over 100 shots.

Yes, that was JDMs also, so if I only add a 75 shot I should be okay right:D

Sixpipes
12-15-2005, 11:47 PM
I saw Ken Cryder's at Cherokee County (Rusk, TX). I think he was on a 150 shot, but I'm not sure. There was also a Red 2000 in Orlando this year that blew up at about the 1000' mark on a run right before me at FFW (no NOS). And JDM's at FFW Ennis 2002 are the only three I have seen at a strip. I think Halo has popped a bunch of motors at the track. :cool:

03LightningRocks
12-15-2005, 11:53 PM
I saw Ken Cryder's at Cherokee County (Rusk, TX). I think he was on a 150 shot, but I'm not sure. There was also a Red 2000 in Orlando this year that blew up at about the 1000' mark on a run right before me at FFW (no NOS). And JDM's at FFW Ennis 2002 are the only three I have seen at a strip. I think Halo has popped a bunch of motors at the track. :cool:

The red one belonged to a fellow by the name of Bob Churan. It was a 1999 with about 8 billion miles on it. He had driven it to every event in 2004 and when he got to Orlando, it was pinging and clanking. If memory serves, he was usely running it in the high 12 low 13 range. I think it died of old age more than hot tuning...:rll: . Oh another one. The same guy blew another motor in Jersey. Rumor has it that he got had by a little scum sucker by the name of J.R. J.R. hooked Bob up with a built motor by some guy out of Florida. The motor may have been sh!t to begin with...but it goes in the books as blown in the quarter.

Oh yeah...in 2004 Jim D. roasted the valves in one in the first round of TT using a heavy hit of nitrous. Not many folks realized it was toast because he somehow won that round and came back for round two...clanking all the way down the track. He lost in that round.
Rocks

dboat
12-16-2005, 06:25 AM
I know JDM did it once, but how many others on stock blocks?

Seems like it happens on the street most of the time.

Given the responses here, I think you are correct.. usually on those long high speed passes at WOT.... right?
Dana

L8 APEX
12-16-2005, 10:09 AM
Every motor I blew or built was over 100 down the highway in COLD air.

benyouall
12-16-2005, 01:47 PM
i thought you were talking about ennis,i saw a red one blow at ennis i was told it had way more than a 100 shot may have had more than 200 shot .it came apart at 1000ft.mark going into overdrive.12.01et speed 100 last 320 in netural. ben

Shiner1
12-16-2005, 02:57 PM
I was running a 125 shot on mine and I always knew that that's the way she was going to die. Never did though. I was at Denton one night and watched a Tool in a Cheby do a burn out with the juice on and it blew the manifold, carb and hood clean off the truck. Looked like a flame thrower shoot'n outa there. I don't think he trashed the bottom end but the end result was the same....No more passes that night.:d

microsuck
12-16-2005, 03:15 PM
I saw Ken Cryder's at Cherokee County (Rusk, TX). I think he was on a 150 shot, but I'm not sure.

Ken Cryder runs more than a 150 shot.:D Shshhhhh, but you didnt hear it from me. I'm not supposed to tell.............:nono: I learned alot of my sneaky nitrous tuning tricks from him. Cool guy to be around.

Shiner1
12-16-2005, 04:57 PM
Ken Cryder runs more than a 150 shot.:D Shshhhhh, but you didnt hear it from me. I'm not supposed to tell.............:nono: I learned alot of my sneaky nitrous tuning tricks from him. Cool guy to be around.

He's the first L owner I met. He is the one who turned me on to TALON. :tu:

Mark #2
12-17-2005, 09:47 PM
Every motor I blew or built was over 100 down the highway in COLD air.

http://www.f150online.com/forums/showthread.php?t=221482

Another one, and why I don't post to f150online very often.;),

dboat
12-18-2005, 05:15 AM
http://www.f150online.com/forums/showthread.php?t=221482

Another one, and why I don't post to f150online very often.;),

Wow, I just read that whole thing.. whew.. it was up to 11 pages.. I forgot about those kinds of threads. I hardly go over there anymore. I have to agree with Tim Skelton on a lot of the issues he comments on over there and hence the lack of attention to that site by me.

Dana

03LightningRocks
12-18-2005, 01:56 PM
Dana and Mark..........

What's with you two??? That kind of thread is the reason to go there...:rll: .

You guys can't tell me you don't like to watch a good train wreck now and then.

Rocks:banana:

dboat
12-18-2005, 02:11 PM
Dana and Mark..........

What's with you two??? That kind of thread is the reason to go there...:rll: .

You guys can't tell me you don't like to watch a good train wreck now and then.

Rocks:banana:

Oh yeah, like that 30+pager you were in recently. I forget the details but eventually the guy gets owned.. I dont have the time for it anymore.. however, I do plan on going to LFest next year and doing the 1320 for the first time.. as long as I get some good advice from a few of the boys here in advance.
Dana

03LightningRocks
12-18-2005, 02:42 PM
Oh yeah, like that 30+pager you were in recently. I forget the details but eventually the guy gets owned.. I dont have the time for it anymore.. however, I do plan on going to LFest next year and doing the 1320 for the first time.. as long as I get some good advice from a few of the boys here in advance.
Dana

:rll: ............who...me???? I am innocent....not me...oh no you don't...I didn't do it...:cool: .

Cool on the plans for L-Fest....you might want to leave the kids at home....LOL....or at least don't let them near the parking lot after 8 P.M.

Pointers??? I will start...pull up to the starting line. Light the two lights at the top of the tree. On the third yellow...move your foot off the brake and mat the gas peddle. You are on your way...:nana2 .

Rocks:beer:

dboat
12-18-2005, 06:48 PM
No kids but bringing the wife with me.. she can drink as well as anyone... Hopefully I can learn a few things and get a decent time and be able to drive it home in one piece..
Dana