PDA

View Full Version : Home Repair fun

Mark #2
12-21-2005, 04:05 PM
Fix water leaks quickly. I let this one go for a while and the termites ate 13 studs in half. No live termites found due to the treatment in the summer, but what a mess.

Beaudee
12-21-2005, 07:54 PM
Looked like mine when i remodeled.Always said my old house was built on a termite mound.Put the green treated studs back in.:tu: Least give em a belly ache next time.

Mark #2
12-21-2005, 08:04 PM
Looked like mine when i remodeled.Always said my old house was built on a termite mound.Put the green treated studs back in.:tu: Least give em a belly ache next time.

This was rebuilt about 12 years ago with some green ones in there and the rate appears the same to me.

Aggie Mom
12-21-2005, 08:20 PM
My house had a serious termite problem and I had to replace every wall. I treated all the new wood with a product called tim-bor and bora-care. I got it at:

PestSupply.com
10875 Plano Rd. #105
Dallas, Texas 75238
http://www.epestsupply.com

It seems to have worked. But, I also have the ground treated every year. Hope this helps.

Mark #2
12-21-2005, 08:31 PM
My house had a serious termite problem and I had to replace every wall. I treated all the new wood with a product called tim-bor and bora-care. I got it at:

PestSupply.com
10875 Plano Rd. #105
Dallas, Texas 75238

It seems to have worked. But, I also have the ground treated every year. Hope this helps.

Thanks, and I think we are in similar situation, maybe not all walls but they got to the ceiling. That place is just around the corner, I will check them out.
I also have had a 13 year termite contract, just because they aren't on the outside doesn't mean they aren't on the inside. No symtoms, dirt trails or flying swarms either.

Mark

dboat
12-21-2005, 08:52 PM

PestSupply.com
10875 Plano Rd. #105
Dallas, Texas 75238

Cathy,
is that the stuff that makes the wood too hard for the termites to eat?
Dana

Aggie Mom
12-22-2005, 06:45 AM
Cathy,
is that the stuff that makes the wood too hard for the termites to eat?
Dana

I'm not really sure what it does. Once you spray it on, it forms shiny crystals all over the wood. My house is about 100 years old and where ever there was still the original lead based paint on the framing, the termites avoided it. Too bad I can't get that kind of paint anymore. I also put about a million pounds of borax between the studs and new sheet rock. Most insects won't crawl through borox, so the bug population has become non-existant.

dboat
12-22-2005, 08:36 AM
I'm not really sure what it does. Once you spray it on, it forms shiny crystals all over the wood. My house is about 100 years old and where ever there was still the original lead based paint on the framing, the termites avoided it. Too bad I can't get that kind of paint anymore. I also put about a million pounds of borax between the studs and new sheet rock. Most insects won't crawl through borox, so the bug population has become non-existant.

:tu: :tu:

Mark #2
12-23-2005, 07:05 PM
Okay so the SO and I walk in to see the progress today after they leave and guess what they put up the wrong color tile. Spent the past hour taking down what it took them all day to put up.
I left them alone today, as I hate to be micromanaged.

I guess I have to do everything myself, like work, the Lightning, and K5.

Silver_2000
03-20-2009, 12:31 AM
Okay so the SO and I walk in to see the progress today after they leave and guess what they put up the wrong color tile. Spent the past hour taking down what it took them all day to put up.
I left them alone today, as I hate to be micromanaged.

I guess I have to do everything myself, like work, the Lightning, and K5.
So is now a bad time to ask who did the tile work ?

Your bathroom from 2005 reminds me of mine in 2009

Cathy gave me the same advice a day or 2 ago

Shiner1
03-20-2009, 08:11 AM
Fix water leaks quickly. I let this one go for a while and the termites ate 13 studs in half. No live termites found due to the treatment in the summer, but what a mess.

Ouch!! but you needed to replace the purple wallpaper anyway...:icon_mrgreen:

Mark #2
03-20-2009, 06:23 PM
So is now a bad time to ask who did the tile work ?

Your bathroom from 2005 reminds me of mine in 2009

Cathy gave me the same advice a day or 2 ago

Not sure if you are really asking but it was Sanchez Quality Remodeling in Wylie. I cannot recommend them, but all these guys are questionable IMHO, the lesser of evils. The owner Ben was at least competent.