PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on transmission flush?

98Cobra
12-28-2005, 09:40 AM
Dealership is saying my girlfriends '04 Mustang, with 35k on the clock, needs a trans flush. Are they worth it? Opinions, please!

tiffo60
12-28-2005, 10:17 AM
i always get my trans flushed every 30k and filter change every 60k i dont let the dealership do it because they charge way too much i just go to kwik kar or something like that

QDRHRSE
12-28-2005, 10:27 AM
How often has she been changing it? Mustang auto's need service every 15k. Ford may say 30k but I know from experience that they need it more often. They do not like stuff in the fluid. If this is her first tranny service then I would recommend a flush and then subsequent fluid changes every 15k. I've had so many late model mustangs that I have ran out of fingers and toes to count them with.

Sixpipes
12-28-2005, 10:37 AM
I've done mine every 30K and am still on the original transmission after a lot of abuse and 90K+ miles. :cool:

PoorSvtman
12-28-2005, 10:44 AM
those trans flushes arent good IMO... it uses pressureises the system pretty good.. The dealership i worked at did away with the flushes because it messed up a few trannys. They did it the old fashen way.. change fluid and filter ran it and changed it again....

PoorSvtman
12-28-2005, 10:45 AM
i always get my trans flushed every 30k and filter change every 60k i dont let the dealership do it because they charge way too much i just go to kwik kar or something like that

why flush it and not change the filter... thats like changing your oil and reusing the filter......

L8 APEX
12-28-2005, 11:25 AM
I'd just do a pan and filter every 30K at least.

tiffo60
12-28-2005, 12:20 PM
i just did that way, filter never was all that bad at 30 so i just did every other one, but you can do it every time either way it all should be atleast every 30k

WA 2 FST
12-28-2005, 04:32 PM
I agree with Poorsvtman. No "power" flushes here. I just change the fluid/filter every 15-20k miles in my trucks. Never had any problem with an auto trans yet.

That's what I'd do, even if its been 35k miles with no fluid change.

PoorSvtman
12-28-2005, 04:44 PM
I agree with Poorsvtman. No "power" flushes here. I just change the fluid/filter every 15-20k miles in my trucks. Never had any problem with an auto trans yet.

That's what I'd do, even if its been 35k miles with no fluid change.

ive sat and had hour long discussions with the BG chemical guy. they supply alot of the cleaners and tranny cleaning machinces to dealerships.. He could never give me a good answer as to why just flushing the fluid and not changing the filter was a good idea... All he could say was that changing the filter wasnt needed. Got that answer from 3 different bg guys lol... I asked him if i could just change my oil every 3k miles and change the filter 6kmiles.. He said that wouldnt be a good idea....

Thats what you get when you have people design stuff for cars that only have book knowledge of vehicles...

L8 APEX
12-29-2005, 12:21 AM
Engines deposit a lot of carbon and fuel into the oil. Transmissions stay pretty clean with no combustion etc. The fluid does break down over time and starts to harm seals and parts. That is why you want to change the fluid to keep its chemical integrity within spec.

PoorSvtman
12-29-2005, 02:08 AM
Engines deposit a lot of carbon and fuel into the oil. Transmissions stay pretty clean with no combustion etc. The fluid does break down over time and starts to harm seals and parts. That is why you want to change the fluid to keep its chemical integrity within spec.

But auto trannys still produce metal shavings.. I just cant see the point in skipping out on changing a filter...

my2002lightning
12-29-2005, 03:15 AM
My L was given the RP trans. flush as they mentioned it wasn't actually a filter, but actually a screen. :confused::cool:

She still runs like brand-new approaching 40k.

Ronald

PoorSvtman
12-29-2005, 11:15 AM
My L was given the RP trans. flush as they mentioned it wasn't actually a filter, but actually a screen. :confused::cool:

She still runs like brand-new approaching 40k.

Ronald

Tranny filter is a filter not a screen....

Nick Tosie
01-01-2006, 07:53 PM
They're not bad but are expensive...fluid is part of why they're expensive and we get paid an hour to do them, so there is alot of cost for the dealership. I like to flush at 15K, then filter at 30k, flush at 45K, filter at 60K, etc etc.

Switch to full synthetic fluid while you're there. Its more costly but well worth it.

Nick