PDA

View Full Version : PIAA or Hella aftermarket bulbs?

my2002lightning
12-30-2005, 12:09 AM
I've been running the Sylvania Silverstars (9005/9007) combo. for the headlights/fogs, but the fogs last 4-6 mos. and burn-out. No fried fog-light harnesses, either. Good updrade over stock!

I'm looking to upgrade the L's bulbs to something more reliable - the Sylvania headlights are fine, it's just that the fogs seem to be flaky. I never run the fogs in rain and no cracked lenses, either.

Also, I'm looking at setting up the parents with upgraded lights (including fogs) for their '01 and '06 F-150 4-doors as they've already hit one deer at night on rural roads.

Anyone here have any experience with PIAA or Hella lighting systems? True HIDs would be nice, but I'm not looking to spend crazy-cash, right now.:)

Thanks,

Ronald

PoorSvtman
12-30-2005, 12:17 AM
Piaa bulbs are nice but real expensive.. they tend to burn out quickly as well...I ran piaa bulbs in my civic... they were nice but not worth the money... i had a connection for them back in the day.. I need to see if he can still get them for me at cost...

Ive had a sliverstars in my headlights for over a year now... same ones

Moonshine
12-30-2005, 09:31 AM
Although I ran the silverstars in my L. and liked them, Consumer Reports did a test that showed that none of the aftermarket bulbs put out significantly more light than OEM. In fact, several were less than OEM.

Not the same thing as replacement headlight bulbs, but I did the PIAA auxilliary lights on the SD and I love them. Maybe too big for an F150, but the PIAA 80 Racing are some bad mammajammas. :tu:

dboat
12-31-2005, 02:53 AM
Although I ran the silverstars in my L. and liked them, Consumer Reports did a test that showed that none of the aftermarket bulbs put out significantly more light than OEM. In fact, several were less than OEM.

Moonshine,
Is there a link to this review?
Dana

Moonshine
01-01-2006, 10:05 PM
Moonshine,
Is there a link to this review?
Dana

Dunno' if it's on CR's website or not, but it was in the most recent magazine issue. Results varied from car to car, but the bottom line was that none of the aftermarket bulbs offered any significant improvement. That came as a surprise to me, because the Silverstars always semed brighter/whiter than the OEM bulbs in my L.

dboat
01-02-2006, 03:10 PM
That came as a surprise to me, because the Silverstars always semed brighter/whiter than the OEM bulbs in my L.

Me too, and significantly so.. :confused:

Thanks
Dana

BC Lightning
01-02-2006, 04:47 PM
Piaa bulbs are nice but real expensive.. they tend to burn out quickly as well...I ran piaa bulbs in my civic... they were nice but not worth the money... i had a connection for them back in the day.. I need to see if he can still get them for me at cost...

Ive had a sliverstars in my headlights for over a year now... same ones

whats too quickly?? I ran the PIAA bulbs in my headlights and fog lights for over two years and never had problems, maybe I was just lucky

jcblack
01-02-2006, 06:32 PM
whats too quickly?? I ran the PIAA bulbs in my headlights and fog lights for over two years and never had problems, maybe I was just lucky

No, Mike just ran around with his hi beams on all the time to make it look like HID's:D. J/K