PDA

View Full Version : astronomy

L1nt2B
01-09-2006, 07:13 AM
any amateur astronomers out there? A couple of months ago I bought a MEADE ETX80 telescope with auto star and it didn't take long to get the bug and feel like I have out grown it. So a few days ago I put a deposit down for a MEADE LDX-75 SN10 AT. it should be here in a week or two and I cant wait to take it out for first light. Should be awesome!

my2002lightning
01-11-2006, 08:37 PM
Tim,

You might be interested in this url: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10806310/
and http://www.topshareware.com/Celestia-download-40555.htm

I've played around with Celestia late-nights some as you can even watch, track in real-time and get tons of info. on military/commercial satellites orbiting the Earth, as well as zeroing in on planets, moons and anything else in the universe.

I used to be into astronomy big-time when Halley's Comet made it's pass in early '86. I recall discussing it with my Great Grandmother before she passed away. I understand it was at one of it's perigees to the Earth when they all saw it in 1910. She said the comet's tail almost stretched from one horizon to the opposite horizon as the Earth actually passed through Halley's tail.:eek2:

It's amazing that this comet has been looping past the Earth to no-telling where in this universe and we as a humans have been amazed by it since 239 BC, 11 BC, 66 AD, 1066 AD (one of the most famous visits was during the Battle of Hastings and portrayed in the Bayeux Tapestry), 1758 AD, 1835 AD, 1910 AD and 1986 AD.

The next visit will be in 2062 AD - 53 yrs. from now. I plan on telling my children all about my Great-Grandmother experiencing it in 1910, me in 1986 and them seeing Halley's in 2062. Fascinating.

Oh, one of my Dad's coworker's is HUGE into astronomy! He drove from Oklahoma to Michigan and bought some decommissioned government NASA ~6-ft. diameter (~1 ft. thick) objective lense from a medical doctor for his one-off project. Dad's seen his photo-work from this creation and has been invited over to his house to check it all out.

Get this, the part of the house that houses this monster has a retracting roof-top!:eek2::bows

Amazing. Have fun!

Ronald

any amateur astronomers out there? A couple of months ago I bought a MEADE ETX80 telescope with auto star and it didn't take long to get the bug and feel like I have out grown it. So a few days ago I put a deposit down for a MEADE LDX-75 SN10 AT. it should be here in a week or two and I cant wait to take it out for first light. Should be awesome!

L1nt2B
01-11-2006, 09:56 PM
Thanks for the reply Ronald, that Hubble video was very interesting. That is my goal to dabble in astrophotography and with this new scope I should be able to hang with some of the big dogs. I will post some photos as they become available