PDA

View Full Version : Plug blown or??

mikelemoine
01-10-2006, 11:02 PM
I think I may have blown a plug today. Went to lunch with a co-worker and punched it at about 20. It hit second and just as I went to let off, it started shuddering and missing. I was almost to the office when it happened and it stalled as I pulled in and parked. Went to go home and it's running really rough and smells rich, after a mile the check engine light started blinking too. I couldn't get under to see the heads, and I can't even see the wires from up above so I can't tell if I blew a plug or if it's electrical (hopefully I burned a wire with the headers, but I doubt it). There was no loud noise when it happened or nothing hanging below, but something is definitely wrong. Guess I'll have to take it in and suck it up. I only have 12K but there is no hiding the big lower pulley, boost/pyro guages and chip so I am worried. I don't run it too hard but I bought it used with these mods, so I have no idea what it went through in it's past life. I've seen the threads about plugs popping off but know it's largely a matter of finding a cool dealer. For that matter, plugs should be the last thing to blow off an engine anyway! Any suggestions on sweet talking the dealer if a plug blew?

Alpine
01-10-2006, 11:08 PM
I think I may have blown a plug today. Went to lunch with a co-worker and punched it at about 20. It hit second and just as I went to let off, it started shuddering and missing. I was almost to the office when it happened and it stalled as I pulled in and parked. Went to go home and it's running really rough and smells rich, after a mile the check engine light started blinking too. I couldn't get under to see the heads, and I can't even see the wires from up above so I can't tell if I blew a plug or if it's electrical (hopefully I burned a wire with the headers, but I doubt it). There was no loud noise when it happened or nothing hanging below, but something is definitely wrong. Guess I'll have to take it in and suck it up. I only have 12K but there is no hiding the big lower pulley, boost/pyro guages and chip so I am worried. I don't run it too hard but I bought it used with these mods, so I have no idea what it went through in it's past life. I've seen the threads about plugs popping off but know it's largely a matter of finding a cool dealer. For that matter, plugs should be the last thing to blow off an engine anyway! Any suggestions on sweet talking the dealer if a plug blew?If you blow a plug, you will definately know it. It will be really loud and very obvious. Check the vacuum line that goes to the top of your egr valve. They like to melt to the side of the egr tube, its on the drivers side. It would cause what you are having, it did on mine when it happened. If you cant figure it out, let Terry look at it, he will be able to tell you instantly what is wrong with it I bet.

03BCLIGHTNING
01-11-2006, 09:57 AM
If you saw my post, the same thing was wrong with mine so I took it to my friends shop and it came to be a blown plug.... #3. I dont know of your preference, but i use TR6 plugs!:tu:

Hopefully that will be the only thing wrong, if not....:eek: :vomit: :mad:

WA 2 FST
01-11-2006, 12:05 PM
Check my thread about 2 months ago on a "trans issue"... same basic symptoms as yours. Turned out it was a blown fuse. :) I know it sounds impossible as poorly as the truck runs, but you may want to check it out.

FWIW, I was doing the _same_ type of thing when mine went limp like that.

Here's the link to that thread:
http://www.talonclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9684

QDRHRSE
01-11-2006, 04:12 PM
I had similar symptoms from a bad coil pack. Hooking it up to a scanner might be your best bet. Although I'm not sure if a scanner has a code for a blown plug ...anything else will come up right away. There's probably a way to figure out that a plug has come out by a series of codes that might come up as result....I'm not an expert.

bluesvt
01-11-2006, 07:41 PM
I agree with Tom, hook it up to the scanner and see what it is, that is going to be your best bet. Does kinda sound like a coil pack to me but there are many other things that could cause that. Good luck. :beer:

diablolightning
01-11-2006, 09:22 PM
if it is a blown plug it will be like a loud exhaust leak and run really rough.

mikelemoine
01-14-2006, 11:09 PM
I didn't hear any loud noises or exhaust sounds so I'm hoping it's a coil pack. Of course the only way to find out is to get in there and have a look and/or hook up a scanner. If it's a coil pack, it should be covered under warranty since I'm only at 12K so I am hoping. My wife just had outpatient surgery so I am in for the weekend waiting on her hand and foot, so no time to deal with it yet. I need to get it to Terry anyway since I don't know what mods I have and I need a thorough checkup to make sure I am not driving a time bomb (and I want a shift kit!). What are the chances of damaging the O2 sensor, Cats or?? if I drive it 30 or so miles to Terry with a bad miss? I've already driven 22 miles home.

bluesvt
01-15-2006, 12:49 PM
As long as your check engine light is not on I believe you are good to drive.

WA 2 FST
01-15-2006, 01:55 PM
Mike,

Do yourself a favor and check fuse #23 (you can find its location in your manual). It will take you 5 minutes to do, and based on your description of what the truck is doing, believe it or not it could be your problem.