PDA

View Full Version : How many miles are to many????

SpeedyBolt
01-12-2006, 11:12 AM
Since my wife was in a wreck not to long ago and totaled the truck, we have been looking for another one. We are probalby going to be getting another one just like she had, at least the same body style. The problem we are running into is, all the trucks like we had are all high mileage. We had a 2000 and it had 76k on it and we thought that was a bunch. She has found an '02 FX4 that she really wants but it has 126k on it. Other than the high miles the truck is in great shape. Some people say that 100k isn't that many miles on these new vehicles. I know I used to run away from them in the past.

My question is what mileage should I stay away from?

L8 APEX
01-12-2006, 11:25 AM
Since my wife was in a wreck not to long ago and totaled the truck, we have been looking for another one. We are probalby going to be getting another one just like she had, at least the same body style. The problem we are running into is, all the trucks like we had are all high mileage. We had a 2000 and it had 76k on it and we thought that was a bunch. She has found an '02 FX4 that she really wants but it has 126k on it. Other than the high miles the truck is in great shape. Some people say that 100k isn't that many miles on these new vehicles. I know I used to run away from them in the past.

My question is what mileage should I stay away from?
Stay under 5 years or 60K unless you want to start fixing it right away. The average driver puts 15K a year on these days. Gas engine vehicles dropp off the scale past 100K unlike a diesel which holds value past that.

00Bolt
01-12-2006, 01:10 PM
although Iv never followed this rule, i have heard that card tend to last about 10 years / 120k miles on AVERAGE. of course depending on how well u take care of them... so i think its really just up to you. how long do you plan on keeping it? if u want it to last 5 more years, do what terry said and stick with a car 5 years new and <60k miles

99WhiteBeast
01-12-2006, 01:20 PM
An 02 with 126k sounds excessive to me.Compare to my 95 with 110K. If someone is really driving that much they may not have time to maintain on a regular basis.

My expercience with cars and trucks over 100K is the little things tend to start to go south-alternators, water pumps, seals....YMMV

Moonshine
01-12-2006, 03:22 PM
I would be far more concerned with how a vehicle has been maintained than how many miles are on the clock. I sold my L with 120K on it and Sixpipes said mine was tighter and more solid than Gorilla. I sold my wife's LS1 Firebird with 137K on it, and it was in much better shape than a comparable Z28 with 67K on it that I'm familiar with. When you find a vehicle that seems to have high mileage for its' age that will likely be because the driver does lots of highway driving, which is about the easiest miles you can put on a vehicle. As an example, the original brake pads on my wife's LS1 lasted 100K miles. The car spent most of its' life just loafing along at 1600 RPM in 6th gear. I would not be frightened of a high mileage one owner vehicle if they had maintenance records to show that it had been properly cared for.

L8 APEX
01-12-2006, 11:11 PM
Unless you are buying from the original owner like in Brian's sales then it is hard to trust them. I did get my brother in a three year old 110K mile truck a few years back. I met the owner and he had a legit story of living in Argyle and working in Dallas 120 miles a day or more on the highway. I inspected the truck and it was quiet and tight like a 30K mile truck. He had owned it for two years and it has been great. Keep in mind though we bought it for 13K and it had a sticker of 39K so it depreciated like a rock.
Then there is one customer that though he got a good deal on a 2001 F250 with only 68K miles. We had to replace the front hubs, steering arm, water pump, etc... He knew the guy he bought it from but it really had about 140-160K on it. 2001 was the old analog gauge odometer and most all Super Duty owners pulled the ABS fuse and it stopped counting mileage. We all laughed cause the truck was ragged out and he still swears to this day the mileage is right, lol.
Buying used cars is a crap shoot, unless your are prepared to fix things yourself it can be very costly.

my2002lightning
01-13-2006, 01:10 AM
I just clicked over 39,9xx on my late-build '02 L and she runs just as tight,strong and dependable as the day I bought her brand-new.

I've also maintained the heck out of it with RP engine/trans. fluids.

Good luck, Billy. Hope your wife is well.

Ronald

SpeedyBolt
01-13-2006, 12:54 PM
Unless you are buying from the original owner like in Brian's sales then it is hard to trust them. I did get my brother in a three year old 110K mile truck a few years back. I met the owner and he had a legit story of living in Argyle and working in Dallas 120 miles a day or more on the highway. I inspected the truck and it was quiet and tight like a 30K mile truck. He had owned it for two years and it has been great. Keep in mind though we bought it for 13K and it had a sticker of 39K so it depreciated like a rock.

See that's just the thing. This guy is only wanting 11,900 for this truck and he said that is very negotiable. I looked up trade in value on this truck on kbb.com and it's still like 10,500 and retail is still over 17k. I looked the truck over and everything looks tight on it.I'm going to drive it tomorrow and see whats up with it. I told my wife that if we do get this truck she might as well plan on having it forever because we will never be able to get anything on it. From what we gather from the dealer, the guy that owned it drove from Weatherford to Ft.Worth every day for work. I don't know, we are going to look around this weekend for something. There are alot of these trucks out there and are all pretty reasonable.

Billy

SpeedyBolt
01-15-2006, 01:56 PM
Man, we have been looking a trucks this weekend and I'm shocked at how many miles most of these trucks have on them. I mean people must really drive the sh!t out of these or something. Our '00 had 72k on it, and I thought that was alot.We looked at four truck yesterday and they follow like this;

'02 F150 FX4 5.4 126k(the one my wife is in love with) 11,900
'02 F150 FX4 5.4 78k 14,950
'03 F150 FX4 Lariat 76k 19,950
'05 F150 4X4 Lariat 53k 25,550

I just can't belive that people drive that much. It looks like were just going to have to settle for a high mileage truck because my wife is determined to have the same truck that she had.