PDA

View Full Version : Todays project

Mark #2
01-15-2006, 05:21 PM
Water pump

Sixpipes
01-15-2006, 07:04 PM
Looks like Cobra to Navigator? I made that switch last fall, but I can't tell any difference.

http://www.f150online.com/galleries/images/211-300-146693.jpg

Mark #2
01-15-2006, 07:09 PM
Looks like Cobra to Navigator? I made that switch last fall, but I can't tell any difference.

Yeah, the thermostat opens at the same temp so I'm guessing I won't notice either, but it's supposed to have better circulation.:confused:
I left the 160 stat in so we'll see if I get a code for not heating up fast enough.

dboat
01-15-2006, 08:25 PM
I was going to ask if the old one had failed.. but I guess not..

Mark #2
01-15-2006, 08:27 PM
I was going to ask if the old one had failed.. but I guess not..
No, just an upgrade, maybe:confused:

dboat
01-15-2006, 08:29 PM
No, just an upgrade, maybe:confused:

gotcha.. I have read so many posts on this one that I havent thought much about doing it. Let us know if you feel there is a real difference.

Dana

Mark #2
01-15-2006, 10:28 PM
gotcha.. I have read so many posts on this one that I havent thought much about doing it. Let us know if you feel there is a real difference.

Dana

I timed electric fan on and off times at idle from 90c to 80c
Cobra pump 5 min.
Nav pump 2 min.
So it moves a lot more water at idle.
Mark

Sixpipes
01-15-2006, 10:31 PM
I can tell you that our ass-o-meters are not that sensitive to detect such a small improvement (if any), but more water is better IMO. :cool:

Dana

dboat
01-16-2006, 01:47 PM
I can tell you that our ass-o-meters are not that sensitive to detect such a small improvement (if any), but more water is better IMO. :cool:

That is why I like things that register on the ass-o-meter.
Dana

wesman
01-16-2006, 02:52 PM
I timed electric fan on and off times at idle from 90c to 80c
Cobra pump 5 min.
Nav pump 2 min.
So it moves a lot more water at idle.
Mark

What makes the pump come on and move water again ?

--wes

Mark #2
01-16-2006, 03:34 PM
What makes the pump come on and move water again ?

--wes

Nothing it pumps all the time, the fan turns on and off.
The assumption is that water is moving faster through the radiator...lowering cooling times.
Mark

wesman
01-16-2006, 05:00 PM
Nothing it pumps all the time, the fan turns on and off.
The assumption is that water is moving faster through the radiator...lowering cooling times.
Mark

lol...I meant the fan.

What I'm getting at is that the cobra pump may only come on every 5 mins because the truck is still reading cooler temps, thus the fan doesn't need to come on to cool the water as often. While the nav pump has to come on every 2 mins to keep the same temps.

Does that make sense ?

--wes

Silver_2000
01-16-2006, 05:05 PM
the pumps both run all the time

If you have elcetric fans the fans may cycle shorter or of you have a clutch driven fan it may not suck as much HP as often. But the pumps run as long as the engine is turning and the belt is on...

Doug

Mark #2
01-16-2006, 05:06 PM
lol...I meant the fan.

What I'm getting at is that the cobra pump may only come on every 5 mins because the truck is still reading cooler temps, thus the fan doesn't need to come on to cool the water as often. While the nav pump has to come on every 2 mins to keep the same temps.

Does that make sense ?

--wes

No when the fan came on with the Cobra pump it took 5 min to cool from 90c to 80c

With the Nav pump when the fan comes on it cools from 90c to 80c in 2 min.

I did not time the whole cycle though on off on again.

Someone must know the flow rate differences, but I'm not going to start that conversation again. Too much on water pumps already out there.

Mark #2
01-16-2006, 09:03 PM
Just FYI, with the Cobra pump the fans would come on while sitting at a stop light, today they didn't.;)
Max temp 77c versus over 90c(fan turn on temp).

Sixpipes
01-16-2006, 09:25 PM
Just FYI, with the Cobra pump the fans would come on while sitting at a stop light, today they didn't.;)
Max temp 77c versus over 90c(fan turn on temp).

I'm getting similar results. :cool:

Mark #2
01-16-2006, 09:35 PM
I'm getting similar results. :cool:

Well that qualifies as ASS_O_Meter then.:D

wesman
01-16-2006, 10:37 PM
No when the fan came on with the Cobra pump it took 5 min to cool from 90c to 80c

With the Nav pump when the fan comes on it cools from 90c to 80c in 2 min.

I did not time the whole cycle though on off on again.

Someone must know the flow rate differences, but I'm not going to start that conversation again. Too much on water pumps already out there.

Ahh...mis-understood. Thought you meant it took 5 mins for the cobra pump to come on, 2 mins for the Nav pump to come on.

Cool...looks like the Nav pump is better hands down.

--wes

QDRHRSE
01-17-2006, 10:44 AM
I think the Nav pump is higher volume. FYI: Pumping water through a cooling system too fast can cause the system to be less effective. The water needs to move slow enough that it can actually exchange heat with the radiator. I doubt that the Nav pump operates at a much higher pressure, rather, it probably just moves more water.

gagspa
01-17-2006, 10:55 AM
That is why I like things that register on the ass-o-meter.
Dana
The problem with the ass-o-meter is that it is often influenced by the person's need to justify spending the money.

SILVER2000SVT
01-17-2006, 12:06 PM
I think the Nav pump is higher volume. FYI: Pumping water through a cooling system too fast can cause the system to be less effective. The water needs to move slow enough that it can actually exchange heat with the radiator. I doubt that the Nav pump operates at a much higher pressure, rather, it probably just moves more water.

The navigator pump is the same flowrate as the stock Lightning pump, The only difference between it and a Lightning 03-04 pumps is that it has a shorter snout and an aluminium housing.

I made the change over to the navigator pump to replace the cobra pump a couple of months ago myself. I decided to go back to the stock 180 deg thermostat as well. I don't believe everything I read and I've never had a code thrown with the 160 in there for two years but there are some valid points in arguing to keep the stock temperature thermostat and that 160 is possibly a little too cool.

Mark #2
01-17-2006, 09:19 PM
The navigator pump is the same flowrate as the stock Lightning pump, The only difference between it and a Lightning 03-04 pumps is that it has a shorter snout and an aluminium housing.

I made the change over to the navigator pump to replace the cobra pump a couple of months ago myself. I decided to go back to the stock 180 deg thermostat as well. I don't believe everything I read and I've never had a code thrown with the 160 in there for two years but there are some valid points in arguing to keep the stock temperature thermostat and that 160 is possibly a little too cool.

Looks like temps run at 77c pretty consistently on a 160F stat, or 170F which is a little cool IMHO too. Now have to drain the fluid again:confused:

dboat
01-17-2006, 09:20 PM
The problem with the ass-o-meter is that it is often influenced by the person's need to justify spending the money.

True, but then I do FEEL better about it.. :evil