01-18-2006, 01:29 AM
http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=30&article_id=10569

BC Lightning
01-18-2006, 09:48 AM
Finally, that truck is one ugly piece of crap

Although I do like the LS2 power plant it comes with

dboat
01-18-2006, 07:22 PM
Does that surprise anyone? they were the most useless pieces of crap that they ever made in a pickup truck. You cant do anything with them and they are based on a mid sized truck to boot.. however, just wait and see, they will show up in 10 years as a collectors item and be worth 3X as much as they are charging now.. :Bullshit

Dana

Tex Arcana
01-18-2006, 11:57 PM
When the SSR came out, it was hitting the "retro" wave just right (accident on their part, tho, considering they're just now producing three other retro-styled vehicles). What really killed it was threefold: 1) underpowered, 2) overpriced, and 3) too damn heavy. I think it looked fine, tho it could've used a bit more passion in the design.

Lyfisin
01-19-2006, 09:21 AM
What really killed it was threefold: 1) underpowered, 2) overpriced, and 3) too damn heavy. I think it looked fine, tho it could've used a bit more passion in the design.

Didn't they fix two of those three in the last year though? I thought it had the LS2 and the price came way down from the 50k they were getting when they first came out.

Even if they fixed all three, I wouldn't be interested. I never really cared for the look.

David N
01-19-2006, 10:44 AM
you can buy NEW 06 with LS2 around 32k ...msrp is 49k...they are not selling, some dealer still have new 04's on the lot.....

tiffo60
01-19-2006, 03:52 PM
i was under the impression that the 05's had the 6.0L in them?

David N
01-19-2006, 04:24 PM
i was under the impression that the 05's had the 6.0L in them?

yes they do..

6,000 cc 6 liters V 8 front engine with 101.6 mm bore, 92 mm stroke, 10.9 compression ratio, overhead valve and two valves per cylinder LS2

tiffo60
01-19-2006, 04:28 PM
cool :tu:

tliss
01-19-2006, 04:49 PM
I can't stand those things. Good riddance to that POS. That whole retro fad made me want to puke.

Tom

Lyfisin
01-19-2006, 05:32 PM
Not me. I'm still likin that new Camaro and Challenger concept and the Mustangs are great looking also.

But then I'm old(er) so maybe that makes a difference.

dboat
01-19-2006, 07:42 PM
Not me. I'm still likin that new Camaro and Challenger concept and the Mustangs are great looking also.

But then I'm old(er) so maybe that makes a difference.

+1

David N
01-19-2006, 08:11 PM
I liked my 04 silver ssr..made a good daily driver ..had it for about seven months...paid 31k new and sold it for 34k.... Plan to buy A 2006 this year but i'm working on paying off my Credit cards first......

Mark #2
01-19-2006, 08:35 PM
I liked my 04 silver ssr..made a good daily driver ..had it for about seven months...paid 31k new and sold it for 34k.... Plan to buy A 2006 this year but i'm working on paying off my Credit cards first......

You think that we can get a 2006 for $32K? If so, maybe a replacement for the K5?

David N
01-19-2006, 08:54 PM
You think that we can get a 2006 for $32K? If so, maybe a replacement for the K5?

Mark,

look on ebay ...you can get a 06 around 35kto 37k today.. i saw few 06s listed in plano with few miles on them for that price...05s have a $6500.00 rebate and can be bought 29k to 32k all day new with no miles..06 is offered with six speed and two-tone paint but pretty much the same as 05's.......

David N
01-19-2006, 09:16 PM
Here is 05 in dallas ..buy it now 32k...bet you can get it for 29k..11k mile on it...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chevrolet-SSR-LS-05-CHEVY-SSR-LOADED-MANY-EXTRAS_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ90971QQitemZ4605 014685QQrdZ1

Mark #2
01-19-2006, 09:22 PM
Here is 05 in dallas ..buy it now 32k...bet you can get it for 29k..11k mile on it...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chevrolet-SSR-LS-05-CHEVY-SSR-LOADED-MANY-EXTRAS_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ90971QQitemZ4605 014685QQrdZ1

Is there any difference from 2005 to 2006?, but I was thinking black this time.

David N
01-19-2006, 09:41 PM
2005 saw many changes, the most notable of which are the optional Tremec M10 or T56 (it's reported both ways) six-speed manual transmission and the new Generation IV 6 liter LS2 V8, with 390 horsepower and 405 lb-ft of torque. With those changes, 0-60 times dropped from a four-cylinder-style 7.6 seconds to a blistering 5.5 seconds (with automatic; 5.3 with stick). The quarter mile comes in under 14 seconds.

There's also a retuned steering system for better on-center feel and lower low-speed effort, a quasi-dual exhaust, dead pedal, new engine cover, self-supporting gas hood struts, and MP3 playback ability. New options include an auxiliary gauge package, windbreak, and body color paint on various internal surfaces. The new steering tuning includes retuned valves and torsion bars, a new bearing, and a low friction steering sealing package. Finally, the driver's side floor mat has been revised and Aqua Blur replaces Ultra Violet. the automatic is now the 4L65-E.

More effective and less restrictive catalytic converters are mounted closer to the exhaust manifold for quicker “lightoff” and reduced cold-start emissions.

New for 2006

Horsepower increased to 400 (298 kw) with six-speed transmission, 395 horsepower (294 kw) with four-speed automatic
Available two-tone appearance exterior color scheme with Smokin’ Asphalt over Ricochet Silver Metallic, or Ricochet Silver Metallic over Smokin’ Asphalt
Pacific Blue Metallic exterior color
Available chrome package (includes exterior and interior trim pieces)
Available dealer-installed accessories, including bright hood blanket (underside of hood) with SSR logo, cargo organizer, soft side-saddle storage bags, upgraded towing package with soft side-saddle storage bags and pre-cut foam insert for storing the trailer hitch and ball inside the bags
New accessories sold through the accessory catalog

Mark #2
01-19-2006, 09:48 PM
2005 saw many changes, the most notable of which are the optional Tremec M10 or T56 (it's reported both ways) six-speed manual transmission and the new Generation IV 6 liter LS2 V8, with 390 horsepower and 405 lb-ft of torque. With those changes, 0-60 times dropped from a four-cylinder-style 7.6 seconds to a blistering 5.5 seconds (with automatic; 5.3 with stick). The quarter mile comes in under 14 seconds.

There's also a retuned steering system for better on-center feel and lower low-speed effort, a quasi-dual exhaust, dead pedal, new engine cover, self-supporting gas hood struts, and MP3 playback ability. New options include an auxiliary gauge package, windbreak, and body color paint on various internal surfaces. The new steering tuning includes retuned valves and torsion bars, a new bearing, and a low friction steering sealing package. Finally, the driver's side floor mat has been revised and Aqua Blur replaces Ultra Violet. the automatic is now the 4L65-E.

More effective and less restrictive catalytic converters are mounted closer to the exhaust manifold for quicker “lightoff” and reduced cold-start emissions.

New for 2006
Horsepower increased to 400 (298 kw) with six-speed transmission, 395 horsepower (294 kw) with four-speed automatic
Available two-tone appearance exterior color scheme with Smokin’ Asphalt over Ricochet Silver Metallic, or Ricochet Silver Metallic over Smokin’ Asphalt
Pacific Blue Metallic exterior color
Available chrome package (includes exterior and interior trim pieces)
Available dealer-installed accessories, including bright hood blanket (underside of hood) with SSR logo, cargo organizer, soft side-saddle storage bags, upgraded towing package with soft side-saddle storage bags and pre-cut foam insert for storing the trailer hitch and ball inside the bags
New accessories sold through the accessory catalog

Classic GM, get it right and cancel, thank you.

dboat
01-20-2006, 04:27 AM
Mark,
How would it replace the K5? its a two seater with a very small cargo area in the back for a bed. I dont believe it has much of a tow rating, but I honestly dont know. It does come with a hard tonneau and it is a convertible..
Just trying to make the leap from a K5 to it.. unless you are only using the K5 as a daily driver..
Dana

BLACKSUNSHINE
01-21-2006, 04:52 PM
I think its a cool looking truck...or car or whatever. But is it just me, and im not saying this because im a ford guy, but GM designers have never really "stuck" to a solid style I mean they go half ass between...solid lines and the bubble look (90's), edgy lines but a outdated looking interior...I mean they seem to really have a hard time with new innovative designs. The crap box truck style change for like 15 years or something. They just cant let go of their signature, the bar across the bowtie on ALL their vehicles, but really, it looks bad they need to give that look up. IMO The vette and caddies are cool...to me thats it. The rest of the GM line to me just sucks, hummers, pontics, I mean hell they couldnt even redesign the GTO (an American ICON) they took the build directly from Holden, its an Aussie design...They always made good power out of their motors, just cant seem to put them in anything i'd want to drive (minus the bad ass Z06)

They need to re-do their entire design dept if you ask me, or their going to under.

Tex Arcana
01-22-2006, 06:29 PM
I think its a cool looking truck...or car or whatever. But is it just me, and im not saying this because im a ford guy, but GM designers have never really "stuck" to a solid style I mean they go half ass between...solid lines and the bubble look (90's), edgy lines but a outdated looking interior...I mean they seem to really have a hard time with new innovative designs. The crap box truck style change for like 15 years or something. They just cant let go of their signature, the bar across the bowtie on ALL their vehicles, but really, it looks bad they need to give that look up. IMO The vette and caddies are cool...to me thats it. The rest of the GM line to me just sucks, hummers, pontics, I mean hell they couldnt even redesign the GTO (an American ICON) they took the build directly from Holden, its an Aussie design...They always made good power out of their motors, just cant seem to put them in anything i'd want to drive (minus the bad ass Z06)

They need to re-do their entire design dept if you ask me, or their going to under.

QFT, their "design by committee" methods are as extinct as front beam axles. And Lutz is nothing more than an attempt to make buyers believe they're doing something about it, when in fact he's got all the pull of a blown motor.

Mark #2
01-22-2006, 06:36 PM
Mark,
How would it replace the K5? its a two seater with a very small cargo area in the back for a bed. I dont believe it has much of a tow rating, but I honestly dont know. It does come with a hard tonneau and it is a convertible..
Just trying to make the leap from a K5 to it.. unless you are only using the K5 as a daily driver..
Dana

Yeah most of the time it is just for going to work and Home Depot, but the L can do those things. I use the 4x4 function less than 5 times a year but very useful when I need it. Guess I just keep the K5 forever. I have started thinking about a Jeep. What ever happened to the new Bronco?

L8 APEX
01-22-2006, 10:16 PM
The K5 is a proven and paid for work horse. Jeep build quality has been poor in the past we do a LOT of axle and hub bearings on them. Keeping the K5 is a no brainer.

Mark #2
01-22-2006, 10:35 PM
The K5 is a proven and paid for work horse. Jeep build quality has been poor in the past we do a LOT of axle and hub bearings on them. Keeping the K5 is a no brainer.

That is why it is still here, but we are talking about +15 years, you would think that something better would be offered in that time frame.:D

L8 APEX
01-22-2006, 11:13 PM
Better for who? Todays vehicles are built with the EPA and sissys in mind not lumber jacks. Todays buyer demand a smooth ride from a truck and dual climate control. 70% of the costs are govt mandated safety and emmissions crap and fru fru trim.