PDA

View Full Version : Hey Computer Guys

dboat
01-22-2006, 03:28 PM
Well, I am ready to get a new PC.. my old one (well the hard drive) is starting to make noise and I dont want to lose any data..

I generally only use mine to do Talon, Quicken, and various web surfing. I do keep some pics from the digital camera on here but thats about all.. I have had this one for close to 5 years.. it has a 1.2Ghz proc, 512mb of ram, and 2 40g hard drives.. it usually does pretty good until Doug puts snowflakes on the Talon pages at wintertime (:evil )..

So I dont need much of a PC..

But I do want a DVD burner in my new one.. am looking at a Compaq SR1750NX since it has the laseretch technology, comes with 1G of ram and plenty of everything else..

Is there anything I should be aware of? do I need to really look hard at front bus speed? Level 2 cache size? what kind of processor? (this one above is an AMD Athlon).. I dont push mine much.. so I dont really need much and what I am buying is overkill as it is..
Oh, do I really need 1G ram or would 512mb do me just fine?

Post up your opinions as I am ready to buy asap..

Thanks
Dana

Silver_2000
01-22-2006, 03:34 PM
light scribe media is expensive

with what you want to use it for ANY new pc will be over kill

1 gig of ram is MINIMUM for these days
Looks like a decent PC for the price

Doug

dboat
01-22-2006, 04:46 PM
light scribe media is expensive

with what you want to use it for ANY new pc will be over kill

1 gig of ram is MINIMUM for these days
Looks like a decent PC for the price

Doug

Based on your recommendation, I went ahead and got it..

I know that the scribe media is pricey but I dont have to use it all the time, however, like everything else, I am hoping that many companies will sell it and have the price go down over time..
we just realized that this pc must be over 6 years old.. so thats not too bad.. Kim built it herself a long time ago.. and I havent had a problem.. :banana:
But its life with me is coming to an end.. we will swap in a new hard drive and then send it to her parents..
Dana

dboat
01-22-2006, 05:30 PM
is there aneasy way to get everything copied over to the new pc?:confused:

Silver_2000
01-22-2006, 05:39 PM

Depends on what you mean by everything

Applications must be resinstalled

Data can be moved easily using Files and Settings transfer wizard

Just get both pcs connected to your router and look in the system tools part of start menu ... Its pretty easy

Doug

Ivanhoe_Farms
01-22-2006, 05:57 PM

There use to be a software package called ALOHA BOB that would trasfer everthing. :cool:

Tex Arcana
01-22-2006, 06:36 PM
Just take out the old drive, set it to "slave", and plop it into the new PC, and copy the stuff you need over. Or, if you have a router/firewall (which I HOPE you have), just plug in a network cable and copy what you want to keep over, before you blow it out and reimage the HD for your parents.