PDA

View Full Version : Rolex 24 hrs

Mark #2
01-28-2006, 10:48 PM
I am very disappointed that no one is interested in this event. I guess that says a lot about sports car racing in the US.
Top drivers, cool cars, but that is just my opinion, and I raced against one of Porsche car owners in the 80s regionals, and I have the trophy.:ron:

Tex Arcana
01-28-2006, 11:40 PM
I am very disappointed that no one is interested in this event. I guess that says a lot about sports car racing in the US.
Top drivers, cool cars, but that is just my opinion, and I raced against one of Porsche car owners in the 80s regionals, and I have the trophy.:ron:

Now, THAT is an acheivement I find impressive!! Not that trumped-up pint-sized-NASCAR-in-fiberglass garbage they're trying to pass off as "racing". I watched some of it, and the only thing of interest (besides Danica in a Puny-ac) were the wrecks, which reminded me more of CRASHCAR than anything else. :nono:

I think half the problem is American's do'nt have the patience to handle a 12-hour or 24-hour race; and with NASCAR involvement, and no *real* American sportscars of note racing in the series (despite the lone Goat I saw), interest is waning because it's become nothing more than a choked spec-series, and there's no chance of something *different* happening.

I wish they could bring some vestige of the European Touring Car/DTM/Aussie Supercar over here in some way, shape, or form. THAT would rule.

Speaking of, didja catch the Aussi Supercar race at Bathurst?? REAL cars, door-slammers, on a REAL road course, running like bats out of hell, and ACTUALLY racing! :eek2: THAT rules. :tu:

L8 APEX
01-29-2006, 01:32 AM
I miss attending this event, we went every year with the Corvette Registry from 1999-2002. It is the most grueling event to watch for 24hrs straight much less compete in. The GranAm/Speed GT events prior are also great. But you are right road racing is all but dead in the US. We went for two years and there were few spectators but all were quality individuals watching. Then Chevy hired Erndhart and son to drive the C5R and all hell broke loose, it was packed with ignorant drunk rednecks that year.

dboat
01-29-2006, 06:26 AM
As much as I like watching road racing, it is a bit grueling to keep track of. Part of the waning in interest is that you have to be a big fan of it to keep track of it due to lack of coverage. You dont get coverage unless there is interest and there isnt much in the way of marketing it to raise the level of interest.. it took me a couple of years of watching F1 to get interested in it to the point of watching every race and now attending.
Also, it is competing with all other forms of entertainment. Football, basketball, hockey, movies, etc for the disposable income dollar. Car racing is just not as ingrained into the American psyche as those other items, except Nascar has made headway. Who knows, over time, it just might. When people get tired of hugely paid, psychotic athletes.
Dana

Silver_2000
01-29-2006, 09:48 AM
As much as I like watching road racing, it is a bit grueling to keep track of. Part of the waning in interest is that you have to be a big fan of it to keep track of it due to lack of coverage. You dont get coverage unless there is interest and there isnt much in the way of marketing it to raise the level of interest.. it took me a couple of years of watching F1 to get interested in it to the point of watching every race and now attending.
Also, it is competing with all other forms of entertainment. Football, basketball, hockey, movies, etc for the disposable income dollar. Car racing is just not as ingrained into the American psyche as those other items, except Nascar has made headway. Who knows, over time, it just might. When people get tired of hugely paid, psychotic athletes.
Dana

That plus our local nerd didnt post this till it was almost over.. So we coudlnt find it if we wanted to ..:beer:

Doug

Silver_2000
01-29-2006, 12:56 PM
here is a 24 mb mpg of overnight highlights

http://www.talonclub.com/24hrsdaytona06.mpg

03LightningRocks
01-29-2006, 01:23 PM
Nice vid Doug............thanks :tu: .

TP Derrick D
01-29-2006, 04:52 PM
Mark,
I have been watching bits & pieces of it for past few years. Probably a couple years before Earnhart,Jr charbroiled himself. I have to admit I don't know the rules. I mean several different GT classes, different color headlights,etc. I guess if I watched all the time I'd probably learn more. What's the different between Sports car & Trans -Am? I use to follow Trams -Am a little when Tommy kendall and Archer was in it with their Mustang & Viper. As for as no one going. Probably that way because in NASCAR it started out with cars and rules real people can relate to. The old saying win on Sunday sell on Monday.Check out the NASCAR stickers and see what vehicle they stuck to. Not Porsches & Beemers. Real everyday people and not the rich can relate to Dodge,Chevy & Ford and Toyota next year. Not Lola & Dallara chassis and protypes or Ferrari Formula1's ,IMO, Just a real person that relates to Ford & NASCAR. Chevy & Dodge in the past.

Mark #2
01-29-2006, 05:04 PM
Mark,
I have been watching bits & pieces of it for past few years. Probably a couple years before Earnhart,Jr charbroiled himself. I have to admit I don't know the rules. I mean several different GT classes, different color headlights,etc. I guess if I watched all the time I'd probably learn more. What's the different between Sports car & Trans -Am? I use to follow Trams -Am a little when Tommy kendall and Archer was in it with their Mustang & Viper. As for as no one going. Probably that way because in NASCAR it started out with cars and rules real people can relate to. The old saying win on Sunday sell on Monday.Check out the NASCAR stickers and see what vehicle they stuck to. Not Porsches & Beemers. Real everyday people and not the rich can relate to Dodge,Chevy & Ford and Toyota next year. Not Lola & Dallara chassis and protypes or Ferrari Formula1's ,IMO, Just a real person that relates to Ford & NASCAR. Chevy & Dodge in the past.

No one follows Trans-am any more either and they are US based cars and Pontiac has won the past two years in the 24 hours. Toyota(Lexus) won this year and there were Ford engines in the race too. Yes there are lots of Porsches.
I guess it's the same reason that CART died and IRL lives, and F1 has always been dead in the US, everyone likes oval track racing.

dboat
01-29-2006, 05:53 PM
I guess it's the same reason that CART died and IRL lives, and F1 has always been dead in the US, everyone likes oval track racing.

yep, that way you can see the track from any seat in the house... I did flip over there this morning long enough to see them interview Danica Patrick.. then catch a few of her Peak antifreeze commercials.. :banana:

her winning would be a good thing for the sport..

Dana

skalywags
01-29-2006, 09:26 PM
I watched a lot of it while it was on. I liked it. But then I like pretty much any form of motorsports that involves turning, even more when it is turning right and left. Even more when it on two wheels, and most, of course, on dirt with jumps (SX, MX). Hell, for some reason I even watched some lawn mower racing that was on after the Supersross on Speed yeaterday.
I'm with Dana, too (based on other posts). Looking forward to F1 this year.

Sixpipes
01-29-2006, 10:23 PM
I usually watch the Rolex 24, but prefer the Goodwood classic (on Speed tonight) and the Monterrey event held at Laguna Seca every year. I really love the old classic sports cars. :cool:

Tex Arcana
01-30-2006, 01:48 AM
No one follows Trans-am any more either and they are US based cars and Pontiac has won the past two years in the 24 hours. Toyota(Lexus) won this year and there were Ford engines in the race too. Yes there are lots of Porsches.

oval track racing = NASCAR, which isn't racing anymore, just WWE on wheels. :(

Tex Arcana
01-30-2006, 01:50 AM
I usually watch the Rolex 24, but prefer the Goodwood classic (on Speed tonight) and the Monterrey event held at Laguna Seca every year. I really love the old classic sports cars. :cool:

Bastard, made me find it and TIVO it. :d

skalywags
01-30-2006, 11:26 PM
I used to really like that Trans Am stuff. I'm telling y'all, you need to watching some of the SX on Sundays or on Speed, too. It's no longer a one man show. It'll be the top 3, maybe even a 4th creeping up there. Iguess not many of you are into to 2-wheel racing, though.
I saw some of the Greenwood, last night. that was pretty cool watching those old cars racing. they dice it up in there pretty good, too!

TP Derrick D
02-01-2006, 12:47 AM
Mark ,you & Dana makes good points. I guess when I was saying Ford , Dodge & Chevy I meant cars not engines. When I started following NASCAR in the early-mid '70's I wanted a Dodge Charger because my man Richard Petty drove one. Back then the cars was basically a stripped down factory car with roll bars and suspensions. The year after the Superbird debuted NASCAR put in rules to stop the areo & engine competition that was going on between the manufactures. Put a limit on cubic inches and the cars started looking alike except the front & rear. But even with that I believe people relate to Tauras, Monte Carlo, Charger, Thunderbird, Cutlass, Torino,Gran Prix, Lumina, Intrepit, Regal and any I missed.
you get the picture. All the cars that NASCAR ran in the last 30 years. Also keep in mind NASCAR is run all in the US except for that trip to Mexico. So is the INDY league. Those "other" sanctions are all over the globe so its not American. That's just my .02