PDA

View Full Version : Attn Electricians and Computer Network Nerds

tliss
02-03-2006, 03:35 PM
I am looking to possibly put my home networking equipment in my attic rather than on my desk and I would need to put a new electrical outlet up there to power it. I all ready have a light up there that was put in by the builders, but no outlet. I don't believe I would need to run a new circuit up there, but I am unsure. Can anybody pipe in and provide some guidance here? I am also looking to run some Cat 5 cable from the networking equipment to a few outlets so I can hardwire my computer and print server to the network, and maybe have one more outlet in the house that will give me access to the network, but can't find any RJ45 wall outlets that I can use. Anyone know where I can pick these up? Any other thoughts on equipment I might need to stregthen it (basically I've got the cable modem, a good wireless router and a print server for the printer...would I need a switch or gateway or anything else that you can think of?)?

Thanks for the help.

Tom

98Cobra
02-03-2006, 04:17 PM
Bad idea. It will be less accessible if you have problems and need to troubleshoot, plus, during the summer, the heat in your attic may cause your equipment to fail, since it isnt designed to run in those conditions.

Tex Arcana
02-03-2006, 04:27 PM
Bad idea. It will be less accessible if you have problems and need to troubleshoot, plus, during the summer, the heat in your attic may cause your equipment to fail, since it isnt designed to run in those conditions.
^^^ What he said. That would be the kiss of death.

If you're serious about hiding your equipment, you might consider a closet instead, if you have one that doesn't get too hot in the summer.

In the old house, the network/phone/cable center was in an upstairs climate-controlled closet, with a nice wiring box that fit between the studs in the wall, and I could stuff the router and cablemodem in the box (tho it was a VERY tight fit). If you do that, hit Homo Depot or somesuch, and get one that's vented and large enough to hold all of your equipment.

tliss
02-03-2006, 04:34 PM
OK. I have been considering a lower level closet. Still need a power outlet in there and the other questions still stand. I have some planning to do before I'm done. All info/suggestions welcome.

Tom

Tex Arcana
02-03-2006, 04:36 PM
OK. I have been considering a lower level closet. Still need a power outlet in there and the other questions still stand. I have some planning to do before I'm done. All info/suggestions welcome.

Tom

Give me a call, bud, I'm available to talk RIGHT NOW!! :tu:

Silver_2000
02-03-2006, 04:49 PM
Tom no matter what tex says its not that big of a deal

For power if you have one of those ceramic light sockets you can swap it for one that has an outlet in it - real cheap and easy

You dont need a gateway or anything

Home depot and lowes both sell all the equipment you need to install rj45 jacks - anything they dont have Altex electronics has. To do the jacks you will have to learn to terminate rj45 but its just color codes. I have rj45 crimper but you wont need that unless you are doing your own patch cables.

Just replace your telephone wall jack with this
http://www.altex.com/images/kwp-2w.jpg

get a few of these in wahtever color you want for both rj11 and rj 45

http://www.altex.com/images/KJ-110BL.jpg

and you got it made

Tex Arcana
02-03-2006, 10:54 PM
Tom no matter what tex says its not that big of a deal

For power if you have one of those ceramic light sockets you can swap it for one that has an outlet in it - real cheap and easy

You dont need a gateway or anything

Home depot and lowes both sell all the equipment you need to install rj45 jacks - anything they dont have Altex electronics has. To do the jacks you will have to learn to terminate rj45 but its just color codes. I have rj45 crimper but you wont need that unless you are doing your own patch cables.

Just replace your telephone wall jack with this
http://www.altex.com/images/kwp-2w.jpg

get a few of these in wahtever color you want for both rj11 and rj 45

http://www.altex.com/images/KJ-110BL.jpg

and you got it made

I guess you don't read your manuals, especially the part that states the operational temperature range. :hammer: Why don't you put your netowrking equipment in the attic and tell us how long it lasts, or how well it runs. :nono:

Silver_2000
02-03-2006, 11:39 PM
I guess you don't read your manuals, especially the part that states the operational temperature range. :hammer: Why don't you put your netowrking equipment in the attic and tell us how long it lasts, or how well it runs. :nono:
Tex Where did I say put it in the attic ?

Tex Arcana
02-03-2006, 11:46 PM
Tex Where did I say put it in the attic ?
You implied with your response that you approved his thought to put it in the attic, at least that's how I saw it. Sorry if that's not the case, I'm pissy as hell 'cuz I can't breathe for sh!t tonite... :(

Silver_2000
02-04-2006, 01:06 AM
Attic or the top of a closet - I have done both installs quite a few times

When customers want to put stuff in the attic I always tell them to buy good equipment - Not the dlink **** you get at walmart. and have the electrician put a wall switch so that you can power cycle the equipment if need be from down stairs.

Doug

PS - its funny how electricians always talk up thier ability to put in networking when typically it means stretching cat 5 thru the attic and leaving it unterminated. Well you jerkoff its not a network cable till you put it thru the wall - terminate it correctly, test it and finish it with a face plate.

03LightningRocks
02-04-2006, 01:19 AM
SNIP.................Well you jerkoff ........SNIP

:eek: :rll: :rll: :rll:

Alpine
02-04-2006, 01:42 AM
You still lookin' for an Electrician? :d

L-Fever
02-04-2006, 11:02 AM

:rll::rll::rll::rll:

tliss
02-04-2006, 01:23 PM

That little bastard looks like he can git thru the attic without any problems! :rll:

I've gotten advice to get a licensed electrician to put in an outlet...is that little bastard licensed and willing to come up to McKinney for beer?

Tom

99WhiteBeast
02-04-2006, 08:20 PM

Mr Stubbs is the **** but he probably can't reach the attic

99WhiteBeast
02-04-2006, 08:21 PM
That little bastard looks like he can git thru the attic without any problems! :rll:

I've gotten advice to get a licensed electrician to put in an outlet...is that little bastard licensed and willing to come up to McKinney for beer?

Tom

Heck I can't get him to come to Arlington for free lunch and brownies

Tex Arcana
02-04-2006, 11:33 PM
Attic or the top of a closet - I have done both installs quite a few times

When customers want to put stuff in the attic I always tell them to buy good equipment - Not the dlink **** you get at walmart. and have the electrician put a wall switch so that you can power cycle the equipment if need be from down stairs.

Doug

PS - its funny how electricians always talk up thier ability to put in networking when typically it means stretching cat 5 thru the attic and leaving it unterminated. Well you jerkoff its not a network cable till you put it thru the wall - terminate it correctly, test it and finish it with a face plate.

even the consumer-grade "good" stuff can't handle the heat in an attic, expecially here in Texas. Maybe you did it up in the land of yellow snow, but down here, the only thing that MIGHT last is mil-spec stuff, which is beyond the means of most people.

My electrician doesn't do that, but then again he's highly trustworthy. :tu: And cheap. :D

Tex Arcana
02-04-2006, 11:56 PM

Tom

So you decided you needed that licensed electrician? :tu: Holler if Shorty can't make it, either I cna help ya work it out (it is NOT hard, ain't rocket science), or I can point my guy at ya. Honestly enough, after the little discussion we had, I don't think it'll be a tough problem, and I've got the Romex, electrical boxes, and even an outlet or two, if'n you need 'em. ;)