PDA

View Full Version : GM officially dumps the Pontiac GTO

FRDRCING
02-22-2006, 11:40 AM
Here is the link

http://www.autoblog.com/2006/02/21/gm-officially-dumps-the-pontiac-gto/

98Cobra
02-22-2006, 11:52 AM
Didnt read the article, but this was done last year, as Holden is no longer making the Monaro, which is what a GTO really is.

I have been giving serious thought to picking up one. Corvette power for $30k? Hmmmmmmmm.

Beaudee
02-22-2006, 01:08 PM
I would like to see the T/A come back.I have an 05 gto and miss the old 02 Ws6 more than i ever liked the gto..Probally be selling the gto next year.

skalywags
02-22-2006, 04:34 PM
they mentioned this on MSNBC to day. the reason they gave - fitting the air bags to meet safety regulation.

SpeedyBolt
02-22-2006, 05:13 PM
they mentioned this on MSNBC to day. the reason they gave - fitting the air bags to meet safety regulation.
What they meant to say was "We are losing our a$$ on this car and don't want to make it anymore." Maybe this will open the door wider for the new Camaro.

Tex Arcana
02-22-2006, 06:01 PM
Owned. GM screwed the pooch on this one from day one. They had a great chassis, a good motor (:vomit: ), and the potential for some great sales, if they had just listened to the writers and enthusiasts and made the thing LOOK more like an old Goat. Just a few well-placed lines and creases, a true Ponitac nose, and that thing would've sold.

But what'd'ya expect? :shrug:

Tex Arcana
02-22-2006, 06:04 PM
What they meant to say was "We are losing our a$$ on this car and don't want to make it anymore." Maybe this will open the door wider for the new Camaro.

Yeah, as a front-driver on the Limpala platform. :vomit:

98Cobra
02-22-2006, 06:58 PM
Owned. GM screwed the pooch on this one from day one. They had a great chassis, a good motor (:vomit: ), and the potential for some great sales, if they had just listened to the writers and enthusiasts and made the thing LOOK more like an old Goat. Just a few well-placed lines and creases, a true Ponitac nose, and that thing would've sold.

But what'd'ya expect? :shrug:

My only real beef with the GTO is that I think from the side it looks, well, kinda plain.

However, if you are trying to not get noticed when speeding it can only help. :)

Tex Arcana
02-22-2006, 07:09 PM
My only real beef with the GTO is that I think from the side it looks, well, kinda plain.

However, if you are trying to not get noticed when speeding it can only help. :)
Tru dat.
But, look at how well the 'stang is selling, or how well the PT Cruiser sold, and tell me a retro body style woudln't helped. ;)

dboat
02-22-2006, 08:08 PM
In my book a typical GM move... wait until you start getting some interest in it and then shut it down before you might turn a profit... Tex, I agree with you on this one, make a few body changes and you could have a great looking car with some guts to it.. too bad.

98Cobra
02-22-2006, 09:26 PM
Well, the other thing to remember, and this is important, is that this is NOT a GTO. They didnt spend months in design, test, etc. They took an existing car, from another market, and stuck the GTO name on it. I think if they hadnt tried to brand it as a GTO, and instead come up with a different name, it might have done better. People expect something specific when you say GTO, and this Holden Monaro is not that, IMO.

Still, it seems a good car on its own merits. Price/performance is good, and its not made here, which is a plus in my book!

Tex Arcana
02-23-2006, 12:03 AM
Well, the other thing to remember, and this is important, is that this is NOT a GTO. They didnt spend months in design, test, etc. They took an existing car, from another market, and stuck the GTO name on it. I think if they hadnt tried to brand it as a GTO, and instead come up with a different name, it might have done better. People expect something specific when you say GTO, and this Holden Monaro is not that, IMO.

Still, it seems a good car on its own merits. Price/performance is good, and its not made here, which is a plus in my book!

It's a pretty quick car, overall, despite it's weight; I rode with one of my fellow a-x'rs who got himself an '04 goat, and it runs like a scalded cat. Not to mention the Aussie Supercars are basically this same car, and they can run with the best.

If GM had rebodied it, then it might've gained more acceptance.

L8 APEX
02-23-2006, 12:11 AM
They never built the car right to begin with. So long GTO.

Tex Arcana
02-23-2006, 12:22 AM
They never built the car right to begin with. So long GTO.

What was "right" to begin with, besides design?

skalywags
02-23-2006, 01:16 AM
I liked it! that's about the only GM I would have wanted