PDA

View Full Version : Eureka!!! I Ficksed It!!!

Tex Arcana
03-11-2006, 12:16 AM
Yep, I ficksed the PCV system!!

Basically, I rerouted the system. Based on what Herb on NLOC told me in thread I posted there, I didn't think that one could pull ALL the PCV flow from the metering orifice; however, I do have check valves (from my earlier attempt to improve the system with two oil separators), so I decided to put 'em to use, thusly:
http://i2.tinypic.com/r73fk6.jpg

This way, under normal flow, the supply air comes from the snorkel. When under boost, the lower intake orifice pressurizes, pushed out any oil in there, and dumps the oil into the driver's side PCV vent; while the check valve closes and prevents oily air from getting into the snorkel. On the passenger side, the upper plenum keeps vacuum on the PCV valve and keeps flow thru the crankcase and the separator--honestly, tho, the separator may not be needed anymore, tho I'm keeping it to be sure.

knana

BigBobsL
03-11-2006, 04:50 AM
So Tex, where do you have you separator in this system?

Thanks - Bob

WA 2 FST
03-11-2006, 09:16 AM
The separator would be indicated by the blue circle inline with the passenger side VC to intake hose.

Tex Arcana
03-11-2006, 10:59 PM
Thank you Wes, that's right. Here be some pics, if you can figure them out:

PCV routing pics:

The separator side:
http://i2.tinypic.com/r8rzty.jpg

The other side:
http://i2.tinypic.com/r8s2l4.jpg
http://i2.tinypic.com/r8s5tj.jpg
http://i2.tinypic.com/r8s75g.jpg

After today, I have about a half inch of oil in the separator, meaning it's still sucking oil thru the alleged PCV-valve, so it's still necessary, dangit. :flaming:

I had a chance to look over some '05 Mustang PCV systems today, and it seems like they've installed some sort of filters in the PCV system. I need to have a closer look, tho.

Mark #2
03-11-2006, 11:02 PM
Under normal operating conditions the snorkel is pulling vacuum not pressurized, pull off the pipe and check for yourself.

And you are pressurizing the driver’s side valve cover under boost= valve cover gasket leak or you will blow off the line on the back of the manifold.

My recommendations, oil separator in the upper intake on the passenger side (oil vapor condensation surface), and a sprinkler head filter in the drivers side valve cover (oil vapor condensation surface), again keeping the factory routing.
All IMHO, as this has been discussed ad nauseam for years, but changing the factory routing is wrong IMHO.
http://www.nloc.net/forum/images/statusicon/user_offline.gif

Tex Arcana
03-11-2006, 11:16 PM
Under normal operating conditions the snorkel is pulling vacuum not pressurized, pull off the pipe and check for yourself.

And you are pressurizing the driver’s side valve cover under boost= valve cover gasket leak or you will blow off the line on the back of the manifold.

My recommendations, oil separator in the upper intake on the passenger side (oil vapor condensation surface), and a sprinkler head filter in the drivers side valve cover (oil vapor condensation surface), again keeping the factory routing.
All IMHO, as this has been discussed ad nauseam for years, but changing the factory routing is wrong IMHO.
http://www.nloc.net/forum/images/statusicon/user_offline.gif

Even under the factory routing, under boost you're pressurizing the crankcase (don't forget the ENTIRE crankcase is part of that cavity, not just the valve cover area); all this does is move that from the passenger side, where a constant vacuum is being pulled, to the driver's side; and, with the check valve, it controls the boost building into the intake boot. Even with boost building in the crankcase, it's no different that the way it was before, except that now the system will never reverse flow and push oil into the snorkel.

And I already have "oil vapor condensation surfaces": steel wool in the lines just above the PCV vents. ;)

Mark #2
03-11-2006, 11:26 PM
Even under the factory routing, under boost you're pressurizing the crankcase (don't forget the ENTIRE crankcase is part of that cavity, not just the valve cover area); all this does is move that from the passenger side, where a constant vacuum is being pulled, to the driver's side; and, with the check valve, it controls the boost building into the intake boot. Even with boost building in the crankcase, it's no different that the way it was before, except that now the system will never reverse flow and push oil into the snorkel.

And I already have "oil vapor condensation surfaces": steel wool in the lines just above the PCV vents. ;)

Not: the lower manifold tube goes to the top of the passenger intake not the crankcase.

Tex Arcana
03-11-2006, 11:32 PM
Not: the lower manifold tube goes to the top of the passenger intake not the crankcase.
WTF are you talking about?? Try that again, and please make better sense! :confused:

Mark #2
03-11-2006, 11:47 PM
WTF are you talking about?? Try that again, and please make better sense! :confused:

It comes off the lower manifold at the back and goes to the upper blower intake plenum on the passenger side, so it is pressurizing the intake not the block or valve covers. Does that make sense?

Tex Arcana
03-12-2006, 12:16 AM
It comes off the lower manifold at the back and goes to the upper blower intake plenum on the passenger side, so it is pressurizing the intake not the block or valve covers. Does that make sense?

Yes. And you're not correct: the upper plenum connection is all-vacuum, where the PCV system derives its vacuum to begin with; the vent on the snorkel is actually the air-supply for the PCV. When at normal throttle/driving/off-boost, the system is flowing from driver's side to passenger side, and the metering orifice (remember that's it's smaller than 9/32") is either neutral or puling slight vacuum (jury's out on that one), and into the upper plenum. However, under boost, the only reason it reverses is that the pressure from the metering orifice overwhelms the vacuum at the upper plenum, and pushes pressure thru the block via the valve cavities and crankcase, up into the vent (driver's) side, and into the snorkel. And that, combined with the fact the plenum vacuum pulls oil up as well, contributed to our oil problem.

All I"ve done is reroute the "purge vent" in such a way that it ALWAYS deposits the oil into the valve cover area; under normal throttles, the majority of air is still drawn from the snorkel and into the crankcase, and back up into the plenum--which is as it should be. No unmetered air, and no chance of oil being blown back into the snorkel.

dboat
03-12-2006, 01:00 AM
Tex,

come on, clean that engine bay...

Dana

Tex Arcana
03-12-2006, 01:05 AM
Tex,

come on, clean that engine bay...

Dana

First I clean the cuts on my arms... then I clean that. Any suggestions (the easier the better)?? :d

dboat
03-12-2006, 01:13 AM
First I clean the cuts on my arms... then I clean that. Any suggestions (the easier the better)?? :d

the easy way is to hire someone.. I have done that before.. otherwise, go get some of that orange stuff at Autozone and spray and wipe.. try to stay away from the water (and the urge to use it).. I have pics of mine after it was detailed..man, it looked great..
Dana

on your arms, lava soap :evil

Tex Arcana
03-12-2006, 01:15 AM
the easy way is to hire someone.. I have done that before.. otherwise, go get some of that orange stuff at Autozone and spray and wipe.. try to stay away from the water (and the urge to use it).. I have pics of mine after it was detailed..man, it looked great..
Dana

on your arms, lava soap :evil
How 'bout steam... on the motor, that is?? :evil

dboat
03-12-2006, 01:18 AM
How 'bout steam... on the motor, that is?? :evil

:nono: :nono:

QIK KAT
03-15-2006, 03:25 PM
I tend to agree with Mark, i did exactly what he did, after buying & trying about a 100 differant tee's elbows, check valves, hoses, etc,etc,etc isaid the hell with it:hammer: I also tend to agree with Dana, clean that dam thing!:eek:

Tex Arcana
03-19-2006, 06:22 PM
I tend to agree with Mark, i did exactly what he did, after buying & trying about a 100 differant tee's elbows, check valves, hoses, etc,etc,etc isaid the hell with it:hammer: I also tend to agree with Dana, clean that dam thing!:eek:

Well, it's working very well, with just a trace of oil in the bottom of the collector, and no engine lights thrown. If it keeps oil out of the blower/intercooler, then I'll stick with it--the rest of you can go thru the trouble of cleaning your inductions systems every few months. :nono: