PDA

View Full Version : Will this work in a Lightning??

BC Lightning
03-23-2006, 06:02 PM
Like Dana said, I'm really thinking out of the box on new guage pods. I really like this. However, I would still want to use my odometer, turn signals, SES light and etc. I know there is no way you could just drill holes and set the new guages in, but is there a way to fab a new piece for the guages and put those pieces on it. Probably not, hopefully someone comes up with a solution to where they can.

http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/medium/Gauges0011.jpg (http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=18075&size=big&cat=500&ppuser=220)

http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/medium/Gauges0021.jpg (http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=18076&size=big&cat=500&ppuser=220)

03LightningRocks
03-23-2006, 06:37 PM
I don't know that I like that look. A guy on F150 stormline posted a neat two gage pod that fits in that depression on the dash. If you add to that the three gage pillar pod...and then get a steering colum pod...that would give you six gages. I don't know if I could look at any more than that.

Tex Arcana
03-24-2006, 12:20 AM
That much stuff in the binnacle wouldn't do you much good, because when you're in the middle of dragging or maneuvering you'll be too busy to look at them, unless they have some sort of BRIGHT idiot-light function.

What I don't like about pillar pods is they tend to block even more than the A-pillar already does; if they made one that put the gauges more in line with the a-pillar, then I'd be on that in a second.

Think of it this way: the MOST IMPORTANT gauge should be as near eye level as possible, within your field of sight, and should have a bright-ass idiot light that flashes to warn you of a problem. You shouldn't have to read the gauges to figure out you have a problem, 'cuz reading can cause a huge problem when you're busy.

Tex Arcana
03-24-2006, 12:22 AM
I don't know that I like that look. A guy on F150 stormline posted a neat two gage pod that fits in that depression on the dash. If you add to that the three gage pillar pod...and then get a steering colum pod...that would give you six gages. I don't know if I could look at any more than that.

Probably give you a brain aneurysm...:d

03LightningRocks
03-24-2006, 12:28 AM
Probably give you a brain aneurysm...:d

It just might. But my biggest fear is eating the wall at about 120 MPH because I start trying to study the darned gages. Hell, I can't tell you how much boost I made at the end of a pass. I am usually concentrating on the track and the other driver.

I probably check my EGT gage more than any other.

Tex Arcana
03-24-2006, 12:40 AM
It just might. But my biggest fear is eating the wall at about 120 MPH because I start trying to study the darned gages. Hell, I can't tell you how much boost I made at the end of a pass. I am usually concentrating on the track and the other driver.

I probably check my EGT gage more than any other.
Exactly my point: it's called "human factors", and it's something alot of people overlook. When I saw TErry's thread on his new wideband gauge, I was afraid it'd be a pure digital gauge, without a sweep (which is easier to read without actually "reading")--if you look at the control panel of an aircraft, you'll notice that all the gauges will have their nominal readings pointing straight up; that way, you can just glance at all of them and determine if they're normal.

They tell us at MSR and such to check the gauges on the straights, because we're too damn busy to look at them while turning. At one point, Coleman had found a "HUD" display, but it was too limited in *how* it displayed things, i.e., it couldn't do a decent set of idiot lights along with a tach sweep. Something like that would be nice.

L8 APEX
03-24-2006, 12:42 AM
The PATS theft sytem is intergral with the cluster. We can turn it off with SCT but your truck may get stolen. I am not sure about shifting or any other issues. You also need to figure if the speedo is compatible with the analog or digital signal the truck sends to the cluster.

StormShadow
03-25-2006, 12:20 PM
I don't know that I like that look.

+1

BC Lightning
03-25-2006, 09:50 PM
It's not any more to look at than the stock guage cluster. I don't see whats not to like? If I were to do it then it would be painted black with Autometer Lunar or NV series indaglo (?) guages. I have noticed that the autometer tachs, mechanical, etc guages are alot quicker response to the stock tach, boost guage, etc. It would be replacing the stock boost guage to read what #'s I'm actually running, putting a full sweep water temp, tranny temp, and half sweep fuel level guages. Getting rid of my a pillar pod (ricer pod :vomit: ) and just going with my expy overhead dual pod with EGT and oil pressure guages and dash bubble dual pod with dynojet wideband and fuel pressure guages.

I didn't know that it affects the PATS, so I wont be doing this do my 2004 L, maybe in a year or two I can get a 99 and put it in there.