PDA

View Full Version : First time at the track

QDRHRSE
03-25-2006, 12:55 AM
I went to the track for the first time with the L. I was already aware of the fact that the truck hasn't been running that great. When we put the new PCM in I forgot to unlock the EXCAL2 so now the I have to send it back to SCT. I also have a slight exhaust leak and it's running pig rich.

I went by the track on my way home from work for shitz and giggles. What a mistake. Where I live its high desert. The elevation is 3000+ and we have bad dry air to boot. My best time was 14.23 @ 96 mph which is 13.7x altitude corrected. No matter what I did the truck left terribly. My best 60ft was 2.17 and I didn't have much wheelspin. I did mangage to beat a couple of equally fast relatively stock vehicles including a brand new GTO that didn't even have plates yet. I beat him by .07 but his MPH was a lot higher.

Anyway, should I feel bad that my truck was so slow? It's a 2000 and because of the EXCAL2 problem I'm running the stock 80mm mass air meter with a c&l plenum and elbow, 4lb pulley, conical air filter, and a bassani cat back. Are my times among the worst that you've ever heard of? Seems like it to me. I'm really bummed. Any advice?

dboat
03-25-2006, 07:11 AM
Any advice?

Tom, I will take the truck off your hands for $3000 as long as the wheels come with it.. :evil

Just get the other stuff fixed and you will be fine.. change that MAS too.

QDRHRSE
03-25-2006, 09:35 AM
I have an SCT BA2400 but I can't use it until my EXCAL2 gets unlocked. I'm running some mods with the stock tune. I'm hoping thats why the truck is so pathetic. When you load a tune from an EXCAL to the truck, the EXCAL is "locked" to your PCM until you unload the tune. By doing this 1 unit can only be used by 1 vehicle at a time. When we changed my computer I must of forgot to unload the tune because the EXCAL reads "wrong vehicle" everytime I try to load a tune. SCT is being difficult about resetting it too. At least my stereo system turned out ok. This truck is nothing but a pain in the ass.

dboat
03-25-2006, 01:20 PM
Tom, I will take the truck off your hands for $3000 as long as the wheels come with it.. :evil

the offer still stands.. I'll even come get it..

QDRHRSE
03-25-2006, 01:38 PM
Ok Dana, I'll think about it....for a long while....

03LightningRocks
03-25-2006, 03:08 PM
I went to the track for the first time with the L. I was already aware of the fact that the truck hasn't been running that great. When we put the new PCM in I forgot to unlock the EXCAL2 so now the I have to send it back to SCT. I also have a slight exhaust leak and it's running pig rich.

I went by the track on my way home from work for shitz and giggles. What a mistake. Where I live its high desert. The elevation is 3000+ and we have bad dry air to boot. My best time was 14.23 @ 96 mph which is 13.7x altitude corrected. No matter what I did the truck left terribly. My best 60ft was 2.17 and I didn't have much wheelspin. I did mangage to beat a couple of equally fast relatively stock vehicles including a brand new GTO that didn't even have plates yet. I beat him by .07 but his MPH was a lot higher.

Anyway, should I feel bad that my truck was so slow? It's a 2000 and because of the EXCAL2 problem I'm running the stock 80mm mass air meter with a c&l plenum and elbow, 4lb pulley, conical air filter, and a bassani cat back. Are my times among the worst that you've ever heard of? Seems like it to me. I'm really bummed. Any advice?

You are lucky you ran as good as you did. The only power adder you have is the pulley. The C&L isn't your restriction point right now...the 80mm mas is. So no gain from the C&L...IMHO.

First...get that exhaust leak fixed. I didn't see where you said the leak was, specifically....but I have heard of folks creating problems with the motor when exhaust leaks are around the exhaust manifolds.

Second...that stock 80mm mass is robbing you of probably 20 H.P. which is around an 8% loss.

Next...your tune is probably costing you a good 25-30 H.P. At your H.P. level...that is around a 10% power loss by itself.

SCT shouldn't have a problem unlocking your programmer. WTF is with them? Maybe they just want to be sure you aren't using it for more than one vehicle....which is dumb considering if you did..the tune would be stuck on the second vehicle once they unlocked the programmer. Maybe put the old computer back in just long enough to unlock your programmer?

QDRHRSE
03-26-2006, 09:46 AM
I was thinking the same thing about the old computer. I'm not sure if they have it at the dealership. You are also dead on about SCT. They want proof that the PCM was changed from the dealership or $150. The problem with that is all my work was done as a side job by a couple of friends and I'm not sure if they can get me the documentation that SCT wants- but I do have a way to get it. I've only put 1000 miles or so on it so I'm still getting used to it. I think the exhaust leak is at the header/midpipe. That's going to be an easy fix.

Sixpipes
03-26-2006, 02:21 PM
Sounds about right to me, especially if you have the stock 3.55 gears. :cool:

QDRHRSE
03-27-2006, 06:16 PM
How many tenth's do you think 4.10's and a 2600 stall are worth? I have the convertor already. Are 4.10's ok on the highway? I actually don't care but gas so fricken expensive....I spent over $200 this week on gas. A tank in the Lightning, 3 in the honda, and 1 in the Cobra. What's the deal with gas prices?

WA 2 FST
03-27-2006, 08:03 PM
How many tenth's do you think 4.10's and a 2600 stall are worth? I have the convertor already. Are 4.10's ok on the highway? I actually don't care but gas so fricken expensive....I spent over $200 this week on gas. A tank in the Lightning, 3 in the honda, and 1 in the Cobra. What's the deal with gas prices?

4.10s and a higher than stock stall are only worth it if you're running slicks. Otherwise, you'll just spin the tires harder for the first 200'.

QDRHRSE
03-28-2006, 01:42 AM
Ya I know. I have a set of Metco's on the bench in my garage already.

QDRHRSE
03-31-2006, 11:54 AM
Help is on the way! I bought a second EXCAL2, for the other car, and my tuner is going to set it up for my L while my first one gets unlocked. then he's going to load the original with tunes for my Cobra. Also, I should be getting and installing a JLP Ram air, a FTVB, and a accumab throttle body this next week. Hopefully it will get me well into the 13's next week. A 13.40 at my local track is an altitude corrected 12.99. That is my goal on radials. After that, I'm throwing my Zex kit on!