PDA

View Full Version : WOT Gutters?

Mark #2
04-02-2006, 07:11 PM
I am thinking of taking the gutters off the house for more even watering of the foundation this year.

Is there any downside to doing this?

Silver_2000
04-02-2006, 07:17 PM
they say that too much water around the foudation is as bad as too little
And thats why the diverters - BUT around here I doubt its a problem

Doug

Mark #2
04-02-2006, 07:38 PM
Too much rain around here hasn't been a problem for the past 15 years that I have seen.

No gutters on the shop for years and no issues, while the house with gutters has had some issues as there are wet areas and dry areas due to the downspout locations.

But as soon as I pull them off we'll have a record 60" rainfall season.;)

Again, more input is requested.
Thanks,
Mark

dboat
04-02-2006, 08:58 PM
Well, when it does rain, it will have a tendency to create a washed away dirt area underneath rather than leave the area smooth.. also, water will tend to puddle in the most unopportune places and possibly flood areas of the house.

Mark, why not get those things that attach to the end of the downspout that rollup when dry and rollout when its raining? they tend to disperse the water fairly well..

There are also those other type of water diverters that look like louvers and when the rain rolls off of the roof, it hits them and they cause the water to turn into a spray/mist so no need for downspouts.

Dana

Moonshine
04-02-2006, 09:28 PM
Well, when it does rain, it will have a tendency to create a washed away dirt area underneath rather than leave the area smooth.. also, water will tend to puddle in the most unopportune places and possibly flood areas of the house.

Never had either of these happen, and haven't had gutters on either of the two houses I've owned for the past 19 years. Never had a problem, and I'm still trying to figure out the value of gutters beyond keeping the gutter folks employed.

dboat
04-02-2006, 09:33 PM
Never had either of these happen, and haven't had gutters on either of the two houses I've owned for the past 19 years. Never had a problem, and I'm still trying to figure out the value of gutters beyond keeping the gutter folks employed.

I had to put gutters on the front of my house in Dallas.. I had water coming in the front bedroom.. I got those gutters with the cap built in, so I never had to clean them:banana: But I had a couple of low spots in the yard.. I also had a creek out back too.. the gutters on the back side of the house drained directly in to it.

Dana

PoorSvtman
04-02-2006, 09:45 PM
i just have a gutter around the front door area...if there wasnt a gutter the front walk way would flood and wash the bushes and wood chips away

L8 APEX
04-02-2006, 09:58 PM
My house built in 99' never had gutters and I wish it did. The concrete all the way around the house exposed to the runoff has erosion damage. The flowerbeds and grass has about 3-4"s of recess where it has cut the soil away. Also if you park outside the rain washes shingle granules onto your paint job. If you can keep them clear gutters are a nice thing to have. Also working in the garage with the door up in rain is dreadful without gutters the sheet of water splashes back inside.

Beaudee
04-02-2006, 11:20 PM
Make sure the water runs away from the house.If it doesnt drain good plant some shrubs.

Sixpipes
04-03-2006, 08:04 AM
I've got gutters, but I also have a sprinkler system that goes around the perimeter of the house and keeps everything watered evenly. Getting too much water in spots around the foundation can cause problems, but I doubt a gutter system could create that kind of a problem. :cool:

99WhiteBeast
04-03-2006, 10:11 AM
My neighbor recently removed his gutters. Now I have a drainage problem- all his water that was once getting diverted because of the gutters now flows to my driveway.:mad:

I've also seen erosion over the years on houses that did not have them- these varies depending upon grade, soil type, and grass or flowerbeds underneath.

You have to keep them clean of debris or you'll have some water damage to the fascia boards over time if they are over flowing all the time.

Silver_2000
04-03-2006, 10:14 AM
I only have gutters along the garage and near the front door

The other parts of the house you can see a small depression where the years of water hitting has eroded the soil

I wish I had small gutter over back door
May try to install it myself

Doug

Mark #2
04-03-2006, 10:19 AM
Okay, thanks for all the replys.
I guess I will leave them on. Now I have to get up there and clean them out.:)

dboat
04-03-2006, 08:02 PM
Okay, thanks for all the replys.
I guess I will leave them on. Now I have to get up there and clean them out.:)

I used to get up on the roof with my trusty hose... cleaned right out every time. :burnout:

Dana

my2002lightning
04-03-2006, 11:19 PM
We have a gutter/sprinkler system at this brick '99 4/2/3 home with not a crack in the foundation/brick that I can see.

This outfit is on a bit of a high-spot with no drainage issues.

Ronald

Mark #2
08-09-2011, 06:58 PM
I think this was the correct response to the question.
5 years later the gutters aren't any newer and need repair or replace, so I am taking them off and will see what happens.
What are gutters for in TX?
Collecting leaves, wasting my time cleaning them, rotting fascia boards when I don't clean them, breeding insects, and a highway for rodents into the attic as far as I can tell.:confused:

Moonshine
08-09-2011, 08:21 PM
I had to re-read the entire thread to refresh myself on this. Must be getting old. :hammer: Anyway, I'm now at nearly 23 years with no gutters, and I have no issues. No depressions, no concrete erosion, no foundation problems, etc. But, as Steve noted, my results may be based on soil type, grade, etc. Both of my houses have been built on the side of a slope so water drains away from the house. As Terry pointed out the water does sheet off the roof when it rains hard, so if I have the garage doors open some water does splash inside, but it's not a big deal. I'm still happy with no gutters.

Of course, this year may not count, as I haven't had any measurable rain here since April. Despite watering the yard to the tune of 30,000 gallons per month I have cracks over 4 feet deep.

Silver_2000
08-12-2011, 07:41 PM
not gutter related but I just got home from 30 days away and was worried that I was over watering while I was gone

As it turns out if the sprinklers had run any less my trees and grass would be in trouble

Silver_2000
08-13-2011, 08:35 AM
and since when I left NY it was raining and when I woke up at 4 I manually turned on the sprinklers to water the parched trees Ill take credit for the few sprinkles of rain today :D

Moonshine
08-13-2011, 09:03 AM
Ill take credit for the few sprinkles of rain today :D

:bows Credit is gladly given. I've gotten 2/3" and it's still spitting. For the first time in months I can leave the house without great fear that a grass fire will burn it to the ground before I return. Now, I just need you to go back and forth to NY until I get say, 10 more inches. :D

Mark #2
08-13-2011, 05:55 PM
and since when I left NY it was raining and when I woke up at 4 I manually turned on the sprinklers to water the parched trees Ill take credit for the few sprinkles of rain today :D
I was going to take credit since I took the gutters off.;)

L8 APEX
08-15-2011, 04:46 PM
I was going to take credit since we rented a house and had an outdoor celebration with dogs and all in Aledo this weekend... We got over an inch".

gbgary
08-15-2011, 09:33 PM
not gutter related but I just got home from 30 days away and was worried that I was over watering while I was gone

As it turns out if the sprinklers had run any less my trees and grass would be in trouble

here at thorntree they haven't watered for over a month. never seen it look like this. i guess they know what they're doing. i can't imagine them letting everything die. i guess it goes dormant or something.