PDA

View Full Version : Tire Questions

Lyfisin
04-17-2006, 01:05 PM
I got two new tires today and had the rear ones moved to the front when I did. On one of the front tires, they removed the weight that was there and put on a different, smaller one. The tire shouldn't have been removed from the wheel, but I believe they put them all on the machine to check balance. Can the balance change over time? This was an original tire/wheel from when I bought the truck.

Also, on one of the new tires, there are two huge (to me) weights that say 1.5 on one side and 43 on the other side. I think at the last Firewater meet, someone said something about having too much weight and having the tire spun 180 degrees on the same wheel and that might bring the tire more even.

That seems like a lot of weight to me and I don't particularly care for the way it looks either. I know weights can be stuck on the inside, but I was actually fine with what I had until these things were stuck on. :vomit:

Moonshine
04-17-2006, 01:36 PM
Balance can change over time as a tire wears. On the new tire with all the weight, are the two 1.5's right next to each other? If so, 3 oz. is a lot of weight in one spot. The 43 on the inside should be 43 grams, which isn't much at all. Turning the tire on the wheel can sometimes help, and a good tech would probably try it before putting over 2 oz. in a given spot.

gagspa
04-17-2006, 01:39 PM
It also depends on how worn the tire is. When the remounted my DRs last time they had a really hard time getting it balanced. They flipped it 180 and it still needed a lot of weight. They said it is because the tread was almost gone.

Lyfisin
04-17-2006, 01:43 PM
The 43 is on the right side of the same weight where it has 1.5 on the left side. The two weights are right next to each other. They're on one of the new tires, so there shouldn't be a tread wear issue.

The worn tire is the one where they went from a larger to a smaller weight. Sorry for the confusion.

Moonshine
04-17-2006, 01:47 PM
OK, but you've got 3 oz. total right next to each other, right? I'd still say that's a lot of weight for a brand new tire, unless you theink the wheel has been dinged at some point.

Of course, the biggest issue is did he get the balance to zero out after putting all that weight on? Som tech's will settle for getting a wheel/tire within 1/4 oz., but I always want it to zero out completely.

Lyfisin
04-17-2006, 01:53 PM
Yes. 3oz right next to each other. The wheel has never been dinged. The only scuff on it is where they took the former weight off right at the end of the new ones. No idea on if he achieved true balance or not. I wasn't watching him use the machine and I would have to have been taught what to look for.

Sixpipes
04-17-2006, 01:59 PM
Yes. 3oz right next to each other. The wheel has never been dinged. The only scuff on it is where they took the former weight off right at the end of the new ones. No idea on if he achieved true balance or not. I wasn't watching him use the machine and I would have to have been taught what to look for.

Run it up to about 100 mph and you'll know if you have any balancing issues. :cool:

Lyfisin
04-17-2006, 02:11 PM
Well that sounds like fun. :burnout: Glad it's the L and not the Wrangler. 100MPH in that thing would be a challenge and, quite frankly, scary. :eek: Pretty sure the Jeep won't even do 100 anyway.

I'll test it, but I wasn't too worried about it being out of alignment. I just didn't care for the look of the weights.

Moonshine
04-17-2006, 03:30 PM
I'll test it, but I wasn't too worried about it being out of alignment. I just didn't care for the look of the weights.

Wheel balance and alignment are totally separate issues. What Dennis means is that if you have a balance problem, then by 100 you'll feel like your teeth are about to rattle out of your head.

Lyfisin
04-17-2006, 05:29 PM
Wheel balance and alignment are totally separate issues.

Yep, that was a poor choice of words on my part. I know the difference. I just put down bad text. Wheel balance is an alignment process of sorts, but it's certainly not the same as a front end alignment.

Thanks for helping me keep my story straight!!

PoorSvtman
04-17-2006, 05:50 PM
did you tell them not to put any wieghts on the outside of the rim? They can set the machine up to do that....

Sounds like the tech just was to lazy to spin the tire on the rim heck the machine tells you where to put a arrow on the tire and a arrow on the rim and then spin it to match the arrows..... It may just be a bad tire as well...

When i mounted my nittos myself at my old work some 2 of them were a pain to get to zero out... but after spinning the tire on the rim it was alot better.