PDA

View Full Version : Electric Trailer Brake Plug

Lyfisin
04-17-2006, 08:17 PM
I've looked in the Owner's Manual, The Owner's Guide Supplement and used the Search Button for info on the Electric Brake plug and couldn't find enough concrete info. From a post in 2004, it looks like the black, or possibly dark brown wire is only hot while the ignition is on. The wires are labeled

Blue = Electric Trailer Brake
Red = Feed Wire from Battery
Green = Stop Lamp
White = Ground
Brown = Illumination

Does anyone know for sure if any of these are hot only while the key is on? I'll have a voltmeter tomorrow, but I'm wondering if I should already be thinking about plan B, or possibly even F knowing my luck.

PoorSvtman
04-17-2006, 09:04 PM
brown is pretty much never used on trailer brake controlers unless its a fancy one...

Ive wired a ton of these, and most of the time the trailer brake control has never worked when the ignition was turned off....

Lyfisin
04-17-2006, 09:32 PM
I'm not wiring brakes to it. I just wanted to know if any of the individual wires was a switched hot so I could wire something else to it.

PoorSvtman
04-17-2006, 09:33 PM
just use a test light if you have one...

PUMP
04-17-2006, 10:17 PM
PM me with your E-mail address and I will e-mail the wiring diagrams (pdf format).

From quick look, it appears that the trailer tow adapter is Hot all times, with various leads being switched by relays in Battery Junction Box (BJB). Which makes sense, i.e. night driving lamps are powered when headlights are on.

Tex Arcana
04-17-2006, 11:34 PM
If you need a hand with this, holler at me... got some experience with multimeters. :tu:

Lyfisin
04-18-2006, 06:48 AM
Mike, I don't even have a test light. :(

Pump, PM Sent.

Tex, I'm good with the multimeter. I've got years of experience with them. I use them at work but just never bought one for myself. I'll have one this evening though and put this project to rest. Or maybe tomorrow evening since it's supposed to be much cooler.

Lyfisin
04-18-2006, 05:24 PM
No luck for me.

Blue = Electric Trailer Brake - Never got it to change voltage
Red = Feed Wire from Battery - Always hot (big surprise)
Green = Stop Lamp - Only hot when Brakes are on.
White = Ground - Hey, it's Ground.
Brown = Illumination - Only hot when Parking Lights are on.

Off to plan B.

Pump, thanks for the email.