PDA

View Full Version : plug observation please.

sandpiperx
06-22-2006, 09:45 PM
Hello, Good people of the Talon forum. I need some input on Spark plugs types and what do you think works well with my L with mild mods. Getting ready for a tune and going through things I want to replace at the same time. Mp:tu:

Sixpipes
06-22-2006, 10:12 PM
I think most guys are using TR-6 NGK. You might get away with using a TR-5. :cool:

tiffo60
06-22-2006, 10:38 PM
I think most guys are using TR-6 NGK. You might get away with using a TR-5. :cool:

no go on the tr5's, mine lasted about a day with stock pullies before i toasted the ground strap on 2 of them, the tr6's have proven themselves

sandpiperx
06-22-2006, 10:53 PM
I do thank you guys and must agree. I have seen a couple other posts and write ups on my travels thru cyberspace today that have backed up your posts and I now must order a set so I can go and finish the tune. Have either of you 2 changed the plug wires or are the stock sets holding up well. I have not noticed any ignition problems and are not throwing any codes so to speak. Just wondering if this is a worthy option or a waste of good cash. thanx mp.:tu:

tiffo60
06-22-2006, 10:55 PM
i would spend it else where:tu:

sandpiperx
06-22-2006, 11:05 PM
Life is good!!!!! Mp.:tu:

Silver_2000
06-23-2006, 07:42 AM
These trucks dont have classic plug wires

They have coils on each plug. Ive not seen many people show real improvement from aftermarket coilpacks

Doug

sandpiperx
06-23-2006, 10:49 AM
So is buying aftermarket coil packs a specific mod worthy of the expense or something that should be upgraded if a coil pack fails. great posts people. This info is priceless to me. thank you. mp.:tu:

tiffo60
06-23-2006, 03:56 PM
So is buying aftermarket coil packs a specific mod worthy of the expense or something that should be upgraded if a coil pack fails. great posts people. This info is priceless to me. thank you. mp.:tu:

seems like the ones LFP sells are only good for about 5+ hp which doesnt justify the money, but if you have a couple go bad then why not but if the ones you have are in good condition then no need

dboat
06-24-2006, 07:06 AM
seems like the ones LFP sells are only good for about 5+ hp which doesnt justify the money, but if you have a couple go bad then why not but if the ones you have are in good condition then no need

The mod might be worthwhile if you have to replace them since the aftermarket ones are cheaper than stock ones.. otherwise, not worth the mod money.
Dana

PoorSvtman
06-25-2006, 03:41 PM
The mod might be worthwhile if you have to replace them since the aftermarket ones are cheaper than stock ones.. otherwise, not worth the mod money.
Dana

not worth the hassle everyone is having with them either...

dboat
06-25-2006, 08:32 PM
not worth the hassle everyone is having with them either...

it seems that some brands of plugs work with some and others dont.. just check the compatibility and you are fine... at least thats what I have gotten out of all the posts out there..

Dana

PoorSvtman
06-25-2006, 08:44 PM
it seems that some brands of plugs work with some and others dont.. just check the compatibility and you are fine... at least thats what I have gotten out of all the posts out there..

Dana

should be made to work with all the plugs not just a select few.. Granted they do work with any plug but some plugs tend to be a tad taller so the coil pack wont go all the way down when you bolt them in... the cause is the solid wire being used unlike the spring type that is used in the stock COPS.. They need to do something to the COP where it bolts down, either a spacer that clips onto the mounting base or something.. But as the replys from the people over at the place that makes these granatelli or whatever COPs are not in it for the customer but just to make money and not make a fix...

dboat
06-26-2006, 07:35 PM
should be made to work with all the plugs not just a select few.. Granted they do work with any plug but some plugs tend to be a tad taller so the coil pack wont go all the way down when you bolt them in... the cause is the solid wire being used unlike the spring type that is used in the stock COPS.. They need to do something to the COP where it bolts down, either a spacer that clips onto the mounting base or something.. But as the replys from the people over at the place that makes these granatelli or whatever COPs are not in it for the customer but just to make money and not make a fix...

I understand that some are just trimming the cord on the inside to fit their favorite plugs.. some of the vendors are trimming to fit too. Not a bad mod, but wouldnt do it unless I had several out of order.
Dana

PoorSvtman
06-26-2006, 07:37 PM
yea trimming the cord works.. but what if you change to a different plug? cant cause you cut the cord.. some sort of spacer with a clip to secure it would be a better idea

dboat
06-26-2006, 07:59 PM
yea trimming the cord works.. but what if you change to a different plug? cant cause you cut the cord.. some sort of spacer with a clip to secure it would be a better idea

no doubt.. I wasnt defending them, only explaining..

Dana

PoorSvtman
06-26-2006, 09:40 PM
no doubt.. I wasnt defending them, only explaining..

Dana

i know :tu: just stating my opinion on them