PDA

View Full Version : Spark Plug Change

Lyfisin
07-19-2006, 12:41 PM
From f150online.com

Stock truck with a tune, pulley, filter kit, and plugs. A 12 second truck with about 390rwhp or so. That's the best way for maximum enjoyment out of these trucks, IMO.

The above quote was from Sal.

Why would he be say to change the plugs as one of the early basic mods. I did the chip/pulley/filter and tune as my first performance mod. As long as I've been around, I rarely have seen much conversation going on around here about plugs although the recommendation is almost always the same.

At what point, from a performance standpoint, should the plugs be changed?

04SVTRACING
07-19-2006, 02:48 PM
When I bought my Pulley, Filter, and Tuner from LFP. They said we offer a kit that includes Pulley, Filter, Tuner, Plugs, and 160 Degree themostat. They highly recommended changing the spark plugs to a cold firing spark plug. Mine are now the NGK-TR6. That is what came in the kit.

tiffo60
07-19-2006, 02:53 PM
i would change the plugs to the tr6's as soon as you add more boost, going colder is just safer for the motor

99WhiteBeast
07-19-2006, 03:01 PM
a colder plug allows more timing (tune) to be ran before detonation occurs

more timing=more HP (to a point)

PUMP
07-19-2006, 04:30 PM
Strange as it may seem; the OEM (Ford) plugs are platinum electrode:flaming: General rule is; Never use platinum plugs in a blown engine (SC or TC).
IMHO, if you use anything other than the stock tune (which is a very conservative tune, read "pig rich"), plugs should be the first thing changed.

WA 2 FST
07-20-2006, 03:32 PM
Bob and the others are right on. I can only assume Ford used platinum electrode plugs so they could use the "100,000 miles before tune-up" claim.

Brook, I guarantee your plugs have been changed by Terry with your combo.

But even mine (which makes the power Sal references) has NGK TR6 plugs in it. Once you go above 2-3psi over stock, its time to swap the plugs for sure.

Lyfisin
07-20-2006, 04:37 PM
Brook, I guarantee your plugs have been changed by Terry with your combo.

They were changed out. I was just trying to understand at what point or why people change them. When I got my chip/pulley/filter, I didn't have them changed, but Sal sort of indicated he would have done it right then.

It was more of a future reference question for me and thanks to all who replied.