PDA

View Full Version : KB dyno #s are in

WA 2 FST
08-15-2006, 01:41 PM
Went over to RPM in Lewisville this AM to have the truck dyno'd. By the time I got it on the dyno (~10:30-10:45am) it was 100^F in the shop.

I only made two pulls, but it ran great.

459rwhp (peak at ~5000... but it was over 450rw from 4600-redline)
534rwtq (peak at ~3800 and stays over 500rw until 4700rpm)

Right at redline, I did see 15-16psi from the KB. Before the Eaton was putting out ~13psi in the summer, but 14 in the winter.

Compared to my canned tune from Troyer, which Terry and I agreed was too aggressive (after looking at the plugs) this is quite an improvement.

I last dyno'd it in 55^F weather, boost was 13-14psi from the Eaton and it made 393rwhp (peak was at 4800)/481rwtq.

So a 66rwhp/53rwtq gain and really the max boost is not much more than I had before (although I know its comparing apples to oranges, given the weather conditions).

Oh and for those who still don't think the heat makes a big difference... back when I dyno'd it before the _actual_ HP was 417 (corrected down to 393). Today the actual HP was 435 (corrected up to 459 due to the extreme heat).

Given that the truck ran 12.8 @ 109 at H-ville in 50^F weather, I would hope it would run low-12s at 115+ now... in the same good air conditions.

wesman
08-15-2006, 02:02 PM
Very nice Wes....KB is a lot of fun.

--wes

WA 2 FST
08-15-2006, 02:52 PM
actually I'd be really happy with 450rwhp/530+rwtq. I wasn't really planning on doing any exhaust work (I have a cat-back already), but do think its wise to reduce backpressure, especially with vastly improved airflow into the motor.

^^^^

The above quote was by me back in April. I guess the goal has been reached. :) It would be interesting to see what it would do if it was 45-55^F.

Beaudee
08-15-2006, 03:12 PM
Got any traction trouble :evil :tu: .Where is rpm @ in lewisville?I was wanting a dyno on mine.,its the first thing i get asked when someone sees my truck.What model KB are you using.I would love to see an engine pick of a KB install.I guess this took the itch out of wanting to sell the L..Probally like a whole new ride on the fast side :tu: .:burnout:

TXLIGHTNING
08-15-2006, 03:19 PM
Very nice #s Wes!:tu:

Beaudee
08-15-2006, 03:48 PM
You need one of these http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2000-2004-SVT-Lightning-FAST-Sonic-Blue-Chrome_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ50446QQihZ002QQi temZ120019079760QQrdZ1 :D

WA 2 FST
08-15-2006, 04:15 PM
Got any traction trouble :evil :tu: .Where is rpm @ in lewisville?I was wanting a dyno on mine.,its the first thing i get asked when someone sees my truck.What model KB are you using.I would love to see an engine pick of a KB install.I guess this took the itch out of wanting to sell the L..Probally like a whole new ride on the fast side :tu: .:burnout:

Actually it hooks up great... but realize that the _actual_ HP today was only 435rw in this heat. Couple that with the full-time Nitto DRs I run + hot concrete, and it should hook as well as it can.

It definitely pulls harder above 3k rpms which is where the KB shines above the Eaton.

Mark #2
08-15-2006, 06:51 PM
Wes, looks like good numbers.
I know you are a smart guy...but why in the world would you dyno in +100 degree temps, just too curious to wait?

~1% HP for every 10 degrees ambient, I think.,
so 4.6 x 50 degrees should be about ~25 HP more in reasonable temps.

Looks like my stock block times will be challenged by many this year.:tu:

WA 2 FST
08-15-2006, 07:31 PM
You're right... I just couldn't wait. ;) And yes, I agree ... it will definitely pick up in better temps.

Plus I know the guys at RPM, so my pulls are for very cheap.

I'll go back again on a cooler day in the future.

Sixpipes
08-15-2006, 10:31 PM
Wes, looks like good numbers.
I know you are a smart guy...but why in the world would you dyno in +100 degree temps, just too curious to wait?

~1% HP for every 10 degrees ambient, I think.,
so 4.6 x 50 degrees should be about ~25 HP more in reasonable temps.

Looks like my stock block times will be challenged by many this year.:tu:
So does that mean I'm smarter than Wes because I am waiting for cooler weather before I do to the dyno, or am I just more patient? :D Those are good numbers for the heat. :tu:

Beaudee
08-15-2006, 10:53 PM
How do the KB whine compared to stock?

my2002lightning
08-15-2006, 11:21 PM
Just my experience with Brook/Lyfisin taking me for a ride in his KB'd L - when he laid on the gas, it's a helluva' high-pitched squealing sound that spools-up almost instantly versus my stock Eaton. Brook's L is a monster!:)

It's not unlike when you are on an airliner and are taking off down the tarmac.knana

Ronald

How do the KB whine compared to stock?

Lyfisin
08-16-2006, 12:35 AM
Wes, grats on the numbers and achieving your goal. In cooler weather it looks like you're going to end up way better than that. Considering I was right there on the hp (but a little low on tq :mad:) I had a pretty good idea you were going to be well above that given the 3" and also the exhaust work.

Grats again!!

Were your numbers SAE or uncorrected?

WA 2 FST
08-16-2006, 08:25 AM
Wes, grats on the numbers and achieving your goal. In cooler weather it looks like you're going to end up way better than that. Considering I was right there on the hp (but a little low on tq :mad:) I had a pretty good idea you were going to be well above that given the 3" and also the exhaust work.

Grats again!!

Were your numbers SAE or uncorrected?

Those are the SAE corrected #s. I used the same dyno I did before so I would get a good comparison, but of course the weather conditions were far worse. The correction factor _does_ do something. I just think there are a few variables it cannot account for 100%.

Beau, the KB is louder but with my exhaust I don't hear the shrill whine as much as some would with a stock exhaust.

FRDRCING
08-16-2006, 08:48 AM
Very Nice

Ohmsby
08-16-2006, 09:50 AM
Nice numbers:tu: I really want to get mine down and see where it's at I'm just waiting for the :flaming: to lay off

L-Fever
08-16-2006, 08:41 PM
Wes, which upper intake are you running with your new setup? stock? C&L? JLP?

WA 2 FST
08-16-2006, 08:47 PM
Wes, which upper intake are you running with your new setup? stock? C&L? JLP?

Hey Steve,

I'm running the stock intake. I did get a SBTB. I'm not sure how much that really helps. Terry said it was more of a tip-in acceleration issue as it provides better throttle response.

I think at my boost level (and power level) the stock plenum is fine. But honestly I haven't researched upper plenums that much.

What do you think?

L-Fever
08-16-2006, 08:54 PM
I assumed that you were still running the stocker. Very Impressive to say the least!:tu:

Hey Steve,

I'm running the stock intake. I did get a SBTB. I'm not sure how much that really helps. Terry said it was more of a tip-in acceleration issue as it provides better throttle response.

I think at my boost level (and power level) the stock plenum is fine. But honestly I haven't researched upper plenums that much.

What do you think?

Tex Arcana
08-17-2006, 02:57 PM
Hey Steve,

What do you think?

I would say that at your boost level you won't see too much gain; if you wanted, porting out the upper plenum will give you some gains, but not 'til you move up to that 6lber.

Next question, tho: are you still running the rubber snorkel, or have an aftermarket one? I'd say that would be the next issue to look at. Also, what are your MAF voltages doing? Are you maxing it out, or getting close? THAT might be the next important change to make.

WA 2 FST
08-17-2006, 03:00 PM
I have a new SCT MAF, 60lb injectors and twin 255lph pumps. The fuel/MAF are fine.

Yes, I'm running the stock rubber snorkel.

I really don't plan to do anything else. I'm at the level I had hoped with the premise of staying within my perceived limits of the stock block/trans. :)

Tex Arcana
08-17-2006, 03:03 PM
I have a new SCT MAF, 60lb injectors and twin 255lph pumps. The fuel/MAF are fine.

Yes, I'm running the stock rubber snorkel.

I really don't plan to do anything else. I'm at the level I had hoped with the premise of staying within my perceived limits of the stock block/trans. :)
I would definitely go with a hard snorkel over the rubber one, there may be a chance it's collapsing some on you and giving you a bit of resistance; and with that in the mix, changing the upper plenum won't give you anything until that issue is solved.