PDA

View Full Version : with the relentless heat of the summer...

gbgary
08-22-2006, 07:30 PM
is an aftermarket heat exchanger worth it or is the money better spent on a dyno tune?

L8 APEX
08-22-2006, 07:56 PM
A heat exchanger with a fan is the only way to assure good performance in stop and go city driving. It is also good for consistency at the track. Since the intercooler is located in the center of the engine it soaks engine heat. When you are at idle or stop and go the heat exchanger cannot dump the heat without a source of airflow. That is why I add the 8" fan to it. With the fan running the IC stays at ambient temps at idle, during stop and go, and in the staging lanes. When the IC fluid heats up the computer pulls a good deal of timing back. I have data logged trucks making a heat soaked pass where the timing went from 14 down to 6 degrees at WOT.

sandpiperx
08-22-2006, 08:59 PM
Where is it your adding the fan to sir? And that eye of yours under your name Is really messing with my head LOL It keeps looking at me mp:tu:

gbgary
08-22-2006, 09:08 PM
that eye of yours under your name keeps looking at me

don't feel bad....it keeps following me around the room. :eek:

L8 APEX
08-22-2006, 09:32 PM
It only haunts those with guilty conciences . It is my version of the all seeing eye.:evil I add the fan to the heat exchanger under the truck.

BC Lightning
08-22-2006, 09:41 PM
Runnin a Fluidyne here with 2 - 6.5" Spal puller fans

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y7/MichaelBic38/IMG_0084.jpg

sandpiperx
08-22-2006, 09:42 PM
Then i guess I am totally screwed! lol thanks for the info... mp:tu:

True Blue Aggie
08-22-2006, 10:09 PM
Here's a second vote for the aftermarket heat exchanger. If you are in to drag racing, it's an absolute must to be consistent. Plus as Terry said, you also get the consistency of running a somewhat constant IC temp in traffic.

Tex Arcana
08-23-2006, 12:01 AM
It only haunts those with guilty conciences . It is my version of the all seeing eye.:evil I add the fan to the heat exchanger under the truck.

Evil eye, more like.