PDA

View Full Version : This ought to be exciting

L8 APEX
09-14-2006, 08:16 AM
Installing a Whipple on a built long block with a little cooling spray.
http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/medium/CIMG6697.JPG

tiffo60
09-14-2006, 08:37 AM
How was the install for the first time?

03stx
09-14-2006, 08:42 AM
wow thats looks like it will be a nice kick in the pants.

L8 APEX
09-14-2006, 11:21 AM
It is a huge pain in the arse! I am still installing it!

WA 2 FST
09-14-2006, 11:24 AM
Nitrous as an intercooler kicks-arse. Should be nasty when its all done!

L8 APEX
09-14-2006, 10:17 PM
We'll see what it does tomorrow and at FFW if all goes well. It was a buggar to install especially under a time crunch for FFW. Initial impressions are inspiring. The boost and pull is more than I expected. It is much more instantanious than a KB. KB's actually have a slight lag at the lower rpms 2-3K. The Whipple jumps to 15+psi as soon as you roll into it. This truck has been through two years of racing engine hell, we'll see if it holds. It has sustained Methanol injection, 150 shot of NOS on top of 18psi, 27 degrees timing, launching in low gear thusly banging out at 300ft. etc etc he has beat on it a lot..

tiffo60
09-15-2006, 01:43 PM
We'll see what it does tomorrow and at FFW if all goes well. It was a buggar to install especially under a time crunch for FFW. Initial impressions are inspiring. The boost and pull is more than I expected. It is much more instantanious than a KB. KB's actually have a slight lag at the lower rpms 2-3K. The Whipple jumps to 15+psi as soon as you roll into it. This truck has been through two years of racing engine hell, we'll see if it holds. It has sustained Methanol injection, 150 shot of NOS on top of 18psi, 27 degrees timing, launching in low gear thusly banging out at 300ft. etc etc he has beat on it a lot..

27 degrees timing:eek: :eek: !!!!!!!!!!!! i didnt even know that was feasable on our motors

L8 APEX
09-16-2006, 04:20 AM
We spent the WHOLE day at RPM I was there to assist with any mechanical issues. He had his old buddy that use to work at HPP tuning on it. I got to change the plugs on a Whipple today with borrowed tools, that was not fun. When he picked the truck up I told him not to get on it until it was tuned. Well of course he just had to get in it a couple times on the way home. He melted down 2 plugs for us to find this morning. He peeled his 1ft tall HPP stickers off the back window. I guess they got fed up and banned him like most other shops in Dallas have, lol. He had to send another guy over there to buy fuel for the race. On the street pulley and 13' it made 550/613tq, 18' on race pulley made 600/650tq, and a 50 shot boosted it to 640/730tq. After he was done he made a few rips down Main St and it sounded great and all were happy. Then I have a message on my cell when I get up at 4am. He's been out running the spray on the street and flipping through programs etc. He said sometimes it studders and sometimes it make a clean pull. I am sure he'll wear Jim out at the track tomorrow. That is all I got on this one..
Also all numbers are with a PI converter which seems to hide about 20hp on dynos but go faster on the track for some reason..

True Blue Aggie
09-16-2006, 05:34 AM
Poor Jim doesn't know whats coming....:tex

wesman
10-05-2006, 01:20 PM
Did he ever get it to the track? Is this the setup he ran the 10 on ? What were his times/mods/tune at the time ?

--wes

L8 APEX
10-05-2006, 09:12 PM
Did about 650 then ran out of fuel. After the fuel system it should do 700 engine and a hundred shot on top of that. That is all the engine builder recommended.
He ran 10's with the Steig and 100 shot. No passes on the Whipple yet but it makes 60 more HP on the street tune than Steig. The Whipple is dead quiet you can't hear it over the engine.

Highlander540
10-06-2006, 09:23 AM
We spent the WHOLE day at RPM I was there to assist with any mechanical issues. He had his old buddy that use to work at HPP tuning on it. I got to change the plugs on a Whipple today with borrowed tools, that was not fun. Also all numbers are with a PI converter which seems to hide about 20hp on dynos but go faster on the track for some reason..

So you changed the plugs with the Whipple in place? I know it can be done but what a PITA. I just pull the Whipple off, only takes 15 mins then the plugs are pretty easy.

Interesting that the PI verter lost as much dyno HP as that. I have never dynoed with mine yet. Then again I really am not much interested in dyno numbers.

Great info though, thanks for sharing :beer:

Tex Arcana
10-06-2006, 02:02 PM
Did about 650 then ran out of fuel. After the fuel system it should do 700 engine and a hundred shot on top of that. That is all the engine builder recommended.
He ran 10's with the Steig and 100 shot. No passes on the Whipple yet but it makes 60 more HP on the street tune than Steig. The Whipple is dead quiet you can't hear it over the engine.

That's what I'm talking about... stealth!! :d

Kinda odd, saw a whipple on a cobra last year, and it whined like a beaten puppy... :confused:

L8 APEX
10-06-2006, 09:32 PM
This is a stage 3 cammed engine and is straight headers and dumping out of an Xpipe and 3" muffs. So it makes a little more noise than a Slobra. Yes I changed the plugs with the Whipple on with borrowed tools in the parking lot of another shop. No 7mm wobble either:cool:

Tex Arcana
10-06-2006, 09:36 PM
This is a stage 3 cammed engine and is straight headers and dumping out of an Xpipe and 3" muffs. So it makes a little more noise than a Slobra. Yes I changed the plugs with the Whipple on with borrowed tools in the parking lot of another shop. No 7mm wobble either:cool:
I meant the BLOWER whine, you silly goof! :hammer: Did they make some sort of change in the blower itself, or is the exhaust just drowning it out??

:bows: to pulling the plugs without a wobble, those things are a major pain in the butt to get to, even with the wobbler.:bows

BC Lightning
10-07-2006, 01:04 PM
or is the exhaust just drowning it out??

its probably draining it out, When I was running around with open headers I couldnt hear the bower at all