PDA

View Full Version : Metco Uppers ??

wesman
12-05-2006, 08:54 PM
Is this the Metco Upper? This one is labeled as Ford Lightning Track Link.....is this the one everyone is running???

http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/mlt9702.gif

BC Lightning
12-05-2006, 08:59 PM
Is this the Metco Upper? This one is labeled as Ford Lightning Track Link.....is this the one everyone is running???

those are the uppers, they are for trucks that havent been dropped like Ron's truck, you need the lowers, and I know who has a set ;)

Sixpipes
12-05-2006, 09:17 PM

Those are the uppers, but Mark and I have the lowers. I think they are better engineered and a lot easier to deal with IMO. :cool:

wesman
12-05-2006, 09:41 PM
My truck is only dropped 2" by drop shackles.

I've got the long bars now, I just want to get whatever will help the 60's best.....any advice?? I pulled a couple 1.5X at Lfest and a bunch of 1.6x's with the 30" slicks and the long bars, I think the long bars are helping me hook for sure but I'm not getting the front end push/lift that some of the other high HP trucks are.

I think I'll be switching to the JDM front drag springs as well.

Michael, do you still have yours? I thought you sold them

--wes

Mark #2
12-05-2006, 09:43 PM
Those are the uppers, but Mark and I have the lowers. I think they are better engineered and a lot easier to deal with IMO. :cool:
I believe the very first set of prototype lowers was installed on Gorila in the WWFB garage, I miss those early days of mods.
The first set had a couple of challenges with Roush springs, but we Got UR Done. I was impressed with the engineering so I bought a very early set too.

wesman
12-05-2006, 09:53 PM
How about the Caltracs???

PSP Caltracs Traction Bars

This set up eliminates the problems of using the standard F-150 Caltracs on the Lightning, especially when using aftermarket exhaust systems. Caltracs are unlike any other traction device. The adjustable bars and pivoting front plate assembly allow you to pre-load the rear suspension, while eliminating axle wind up and moving the instant center for improved traction. These are a must for high power, hard launching trucks, and will keep the pinion angle correct during launch, relieving stress on the driveshaft.

03LightningRocks
12-05-2006, 10:24 PM

I 100% agree. Something I had happen with my uppers, that I had not heard of happening with the lowers, I actually sheared the center bolt. I have the lowers now...and seem to be hooking better. 1.4x 60's now vs 1.58-1.6x 60's with the uppers.

wesman
12-05-2006, 10:27 PM
I 100% agree. Something I had happen with my uppers, that I had not heard of happening with the lowers, I actually sheared the center bolt. I have the lowers now...and seem to be hooking better. 1.4x 60's now vs 1.58-1.6x 60's with the uppers.

Was hoping you'd chime in Rocks......actualy I was hoping Tex would and I knew that would bring you and likely Doug out :tex

Do you think the front drag springs you went with are helping as well??

--wes

03LightningRocks
12-05-2006, 10:36 PM
Was hoping you'd chime in Rocks......actualy I was hoping Tex would and I knew that would bring you and likely Doug out :tex

Do you think the front drag springs you went with are helping as well??

--wes

No doubt about it. The front springs are allowing the weight to transfer to the rear tires better. I looked at your suspension set up a couple days ago. IMHO...you could be running tens if you would spring for some QA1's. The front spring mod isn't necessary, but would also help your launches. The problem with the front springs is that it is not real friendly for street driving. The QA 1's help this issue some because you can adjust them stiffer to help make up for the loose springs.

wesman
12-05-2006, 10:40 PM
No doubt about it. The front springs are allowing the weight to transfer to the rear tires better. I looked at your suspension set up a couple days ago. IMHO...you could be running tens if you would spring for some QA1's. The front spring mod isn't necessary, but would also help your launches. The problem with the front springs is that it is not real friendly for street driving. The QA 1's help this issue some because you can adjust them stiffer to help make up for the loose springs.

;) Those are on my list as well.

I was afraid that the drag springs would present a problem for everyday use. My truck is a daily driver (not really daily, but 90% of it's use is street driving) so I'd rather not go that route if they don't make a marked improvement.

I may just start with the QA1's and stick with my long bars and see how that works out for me, after that maybe move on to the metco lowers or something.

--wes

BC Lightning
12-05-2006, 10:45 PM
My truck is only dropped 2" by drop shackles.

I've got the long bars now, I just want to get whatever will help the 60's best.....any advice?? I pulled a couple 1.5X at Lfest and a bunch of 1.6x's with the 30" slicks and the long bars, I think the long bars are helping me hook for sure but I'm not getting the front end push/lift that some of the other high HP trucks are.

I think I'll be switching to the JDM front drag springs as well.

Michael, do you still have yours? I thought you sold them

--wes

still have them :tu:

03LightningRocks
12-05-2006, 10:45 PM
;) Those are on my list as well.

I was afraid that the drag springs would present a problem for everyday use. My truck is a daily driver (not really daily, but 90% of it's use is street driving) so I'd rather not go that route if they don't make a marked improvement.

I may just start with the QA1's and stick with my long bars and see how that works out for me, after that maybe move on to the metco lowers or something.

--wes

Sounds like a good plan for a daily driver. These front springs are real fricking hoopty. I can just goose the gas a little and the front end rears up. Like I said...it absolutely helps with the 60's, but holy crap...it is down right goofy on the street...LOL. If you just do the QA1's all around...you'll drop your 60's enough to get in the tens. I would expect 1.55 level 60's with your power level and properely adjusted QA1's.