PDA

View Full Version : 10 Most Dangerous Toys of all Time

Sandman
12-16-2006, 11:34 AM
http://www.radarmagazine.com/features/2006/12/toys.php

Anybody ever have any of these? Maybe the Gilbert U-238 Atomic Energy Lab?

wesman
12-16-2006, 12:09 PM
I had lawn darts.....those were cool

Silver_2000
12-16-2006, 12:32 PM
I had a couple of them...
Life was better back then
if you lived thru childhood

Doug

SVTJoseCuervo
12-16-2006, 12:41 PM
the only one I recognize is the "Fisher-Price Power Wheels Motorcycle"
..My nephew had it.

Mark #2
12-16-2006, 07:09 PM
Yup had a couple of them too, neighbor took a lawn dart through the top of his foot and out the bottom of his rubber flip flop, can still picture it obviously.

but then again we had black walnut fights, frozen snow ball fights, BB gun fights, we did a lot of fighting, Vietnam on TV influence?

I am surprised that the Easy bake oven didn't make the list, sister got plenty of burns from that toy.

Silver_2000
12-16-2006, 07:48 PM
Yup had a couple of them too, neighbor took a lawn dart through the top of his foot and out the bottom of his rubber flip flop, can still picture it obviously.

but then again we had black walnut fights, frozen snow ball fights, BB gun fights, we did a lot of fighting, Vietnam on TV influence?

I am surprised that the Easy bake oven didn't make the list, sister got plenty of burns from that toy.
We had dozens of toys that we used to shoot at each other.
Lawn Darts, BB guns, bottle rockets, all kinds of other shooting toys. Remember the air powered water rockets ? You put water in the little clear rocket then pump it up 3 or 4 recommended ( or 10-15 ) times and then shoot it straight up or straight at each other ...
:ron:
In the 70s somewhere in florida, My brother and I were standing on the second floor outside hall way of a old time motel - we were lightning and shooting bottle rockets at each other - hand launched - let them shot out of our hands. That was fun till a bystander came out of his room between us. The bottle rocket hit him and ricocheted into his room and exploded ... Our fun was over..:evil

gbgary
12-16-2006, 08:00 PM
yeah the do-gooders have taken all that cool stuff away. as a kid i remember the fright factory, lawn darts and the deringer belt buckle. toys back then were nothing compared to the dangers kids live with today. no amber alerts, police at school, etc. needed back in the day.

L8 APEX
12-16-2006, 08:32 PM
Remember the roll caps for cap guns. Well we would take the entire roll and bang them with hammers and drop bricks on them. There were no orange caps over the barrels of our guns etc. We knew not to point them at cops and grown ups. My dad even has one of his first cap guns that had realistic bullets that you take apart and put a cap inside of it. I think it even blew smoke out of the barrel and they could shoot peas with them or such..

Wht95Lightning
12-16-2006, 10:18 PM
DEATH FROM ABOVE Respect the Jart or it will destroy you :evil

My brother and I spent hours and hours playing with lawn darts and never even got a scratch. Common sense told us to pay attention to where the darts were going to land. Too bad common sense isn't very common amongst kids today.

L8 APEX
12-16-2006, 10:34 PM
I am suprised our roof didn't leak...

Tex Arcana
12-17-2006, 12:06 AM
Anyone remember those old Daisy pop-guns, that looked like an Old West 30-30, you pumped the lever once, and pulled the trigger with a "pop" sound that wasn't supposed to do more than sound like a gun?? Well, we would take that gun, slide safety matches down the barrell, and shoot things with a rough enough surface (just about anything, in fact) and light the matches. We never got smart enough to try to ignite something more flammable, tho... :rolleyes:

Tex Arcana
12-17-2006, 12:07 AM
:evil

My brother and I spent hours and hours playing with lawn darts and never even got a scratch. Common sense told us to pay attention to where the darts were going to land. Too bad common sense isn't very common amongst kids today.

It's because kids don't get to find out what *not* to do on their own. :hammer:

03LightningRocks
12-17-2006, 01:05 PM
Am I the only one who thinks this pic is funny as all get out?

http://www.radarmagazine.com/features/images/2006/12/dangerous-toys-lead.jpg

dboat
12-17-2006, 10:05 PM
Am I the only one who thinks this pic is funny as all get out?

http://www.radarmagazine.com/features/images/2006/12/dangerous-toys-lead.jpg

nope, I thought it was pretty good too... how many of you actually threw a Jart or two at each other.. heck, childhood back then was a way of thinning out the weak ones from the herd.. unfortunately we have made it too easy and they now live on to become rap artists... :evil

03LightningRocks
12-18-2006, 05:30 PM
Snip........... unfortunately we have made it too easy and they now live on to become rap artists... :evil

Yep....or worse...prison inmates. LOL.....my brothers and I have even shot arrows at each other. I can't count how many times I got pegged by the old "rock in the snowball trick". Making it through childhood used to mean something. It was something we had to earn. Something to be proud of. Now everybody makes it....bahh....fricking sissy generation. :evil

Mark #2
12-18-2006, 06:04 PM
Now everybody makes it....bahh....fricking sissy generation. :evil

Until they get their driver's license.

Death Rate Among 16 yo Drivers Has Nearly Doubled Since 1975 -
The overall driver death rate declined during 1975-96 from 15 to 12 per 100,000 licensed drivers. But among 16 year-olds, the death rate was trending upward, and this trend was more extreme. The rate increased among 16-year-old drivers from 19 per 100,000 in 1975 to 35 per 100,000 licensed drivers in 1996, and the increase occurred among both males and females.

dboat
12-18-2006, 06:41 PM

The overall driver death rate declined during 1975-96 from 15 to 12 per 100,000 licensed drivers. But among 16 year-olds, the death rate was trending upward, and this trend was more extreme. The rate increased among 16-year-old drivers from 19 per 100,000 in 1975 to 35 per 100,000 licensed drivers in 1996, and the increase occurred among both males and females.

wow, glad I havent been 16 since 1975:evil

03LightningRocks
12-18-2006, 07:18 PM

I am of the belief that the wide spread availability of cell phones is contributing to this. I can't count how many teen drivers I see driving around text messaging. Maybe god gave us cell phones to help thin the heard when he realized we where going to outlaw lawn darts :d.

Mark #2
12-18-2006, 07:41 PM
I am of the belief that the wide spread availability of cell phones is contributing to this. I can't count how many teen drivers I see driving around text messaging. Maybe god gave us cell phones to help thin the heard when he realized we where going to outlaw lawn darts :d.

Good one, I told the SO on Sunday when we watched a teen jump the curb talking on the cell, "we really need to get the no cell phone law passed".

Daylight savings time and no cells are on my list. If everyone hates these things, why can't we get it fixed?

But DLP projectors mounted behind the dash, light piped up to the front windshield, for a heads up display to watch sports/TV while you are driving would be okay I think.:D

03LightningRocks
12-18-2006, 09:58 PM
Snip.......

But DLP projectors mounted behind the dash, light piped up to the front windshield, for a heads up display to watch sports/TV while you are driving would be okay I think.:D

:rll::rll::rll:

Mark #2
12-18-2006, 10:13 PM
:rll::rll::rll:
Got the patent filed if we get that stupid:D

dboat
12-19-2006, 12:15 AM

:rll: :rll: :rll:

BC Lightning
12-19-2006, 07:29 PM
Yep....or worse...prison inmates. LOL.....my brothers and I have even shot arrows at each other. I can't count how many times I got pegged by the old "rock in the snowball trick". Making it through childhood used to mean something. It was something we had to earn. Something to be proud of. Now everybody makes it....bahh....fricking sissy generation. :evil

I never used darts, my buddies and I would do roman candle fights all the time I still have a scar on my chest where one went down my shirt, we also had the occasional throwing bottle rockets at each other, thats fun until the one you threw comes back at you

My dad told me that when he was a kid and Irving was still wooded lands, they would take their .22 short rifles and put copper pipes on the ends to slow down the bullet, said it felt like a paint ball hitting you, well one time his friend had his pipe fall off and hit his little brother in the a$$, said it was not fun trying to get the bullet out

03LightningRocks
12-20-2006, 01:08 AM
I never used darts, my buddies and I would do roman candle fights all the time I still have a scar on my chest where one went down my shirt, we also had the occasional throwing bottle rockets at each other, thats fun until the one you threw comes back at you

My dad told me that when he was a kid and Irving was still wooded lands, they would take their .22 short rifles and put copper pipes on the ends to slow down the bullet, said it felt like a paint ball hitting you, well one time his friend had his pipe fall off and hit his little brother in the a$$, said it was not fun trying to get the bullet out

LMAO....I caught my brothers hair on fire doing the Roman candle war. We spent many hours tryng to come up with a lie to tell my mom about where his hair went. We knew we would have gotten our asses beat (yes, they spank kids back then) if she knew we where shooting fire balls at each other.

I busted a gut laughing at the story your dad told you about the 22 rifles. Holly sh!t...they could have put an eye out:D.

BC Lightning
12-20-2006, 08:28 PM
I busted a gut laughing at the story your dad told you about the 22 rifles. Holly sh!t...they could have put an eye out:D.

"Ralphy, you'll shoot your eye" ...... I know most kids my age have no clue of what movie that comes from, but its a classic

He told me and my buddy the story on the way out to our land in Sulphur Springs when I was around 8, too bad we had .22 Long Rifles and nor .22 short or we would have tired it, actually if we had copper pipes to stick on the end I probably would have tried it, we settled for roman candles :rolleyes:

Mark #2
02-06-2007, 03:55 PM
I told you these should have made the list:D

http://www.cnn.com/2007/HEALTH/02/06/toy.oven.recall/index.html

dboat
02-06-2007, 08:26 PM
I told you these should have made the list:D

http://www.cnn.com/2007/HEALTH/02/06/toy.oven.recall/index.html

yeah, but I bet they dont get thier hands in that thing more than once before they learn not to do it again.. :D

SILVER2000SVT
02-06-2007, 09:15 PM
I remember getting hit in the head by a lawn dart when I was a kid and there's nothing wrong with me.:tex

CJLightning04
02-06-2007, 09:50 PM
hell i'm only 20 and i remember those toys. My friends and i were obsessed with bows and arrows and swords lol. Imagine what that was like. We built a English long bow when we were 13 caught the tip of the arrow on fire and shot it around the field...until the field caught on fire. we put it out:throw:

dboat
02-07-2007, 06:00 AM
In general, I was talking with one of my buds up here about the stuff we did as kids and were made to do when we played sports, esp football and such. But they dont have kids doing that stuff now, kids today will be growing up being pansies.. Most of us lived through childhood and have great memories of all those experiences. Heck, I always thought that all those challenges we had made us better and helped "thin the herd" of the weak ones.. well that just isnt happening anymore.

Dana