PDA

View Full Version : Ported upper intake?

WA 2 FST
12-21-2006, 06:35 PM
Due to the fact my SB Accufab TB was causing a P0068 code, I swapped back to the stock TB. Truck runs fine, and seems to perform the same as before at WOT. However, as all of you know who've been down this road of mods, tip-in throttle response is not nearly as good as it is with the SBTB.

After reading some reviews I got a wild hair and purchased a BBK twin 65mm TB. As I should have figured, the upper intake opening is too small for the larger twin throttle plates. Bolting this thing on without opening up the orifice would do no good. I guess I could just remove the upper plenum and hand port it myself, but I was wondering if there is any company out there that offers ported stock upper intakes, or extrude honed intakes, etc.

Does anyone have experience with an aftermarket upper intake (e.g.: C&L) and have anything _negative_ to report? What can you guys recommend that is a painless install and creates no driveability or tuning issues?

Thx.

wesman
12-21-2006, 06:42 PM
I'd skip the C&L and get the JLP sheetmetal intake. If you can find one used, it's about a $250-300 difference but when you see them side by side you can see it's worth it.

I had the C&L, was going to pull it to go with the JLP sheetmetal but got the 2.6 before I even got to bolt it on.

--wes

G'Lightning
12-21-2006, 07:20 PM
I also have the BBK T/B and the C&L upper plenum. I also had to enlarge the opening. It had about a 1/8" step. Just a little FYI that the C&L isnt larger at the opening. Other than that i am happy with it and have no other issues.

Mark #2
12-21-2006, 07:22 PM
The C&L is an upgrade over the stock intake, moved the A/F about .3 leaner WOT from my TFC data. It fits perfectly and doesn't require removing the blower to install. It did change the exhaust note... a little smoother. SO detected it too.

I believe that the JLP with the rear bolt hole locations, will require removing the blower and/or sledge clearance the firewall.
I looked for a used JLP intake for 6 months, never was able to close a deal, but that may be different now with the whipples/2.6 KB out.
I am sure that tune would be needed. IMHO.
Mark

WA 2 FST
12-21-2006, 07:25 PM
Ok, well I have no interest in "massaging" the firewall or going thru the hassle of removing the blower. I'm at only 460rwhp.

If the C&L opening has to be enlarged, then honestly I might as well pull off my stocker and hand port it... tapering the opening to match the larger TB.

Thanks for the info, guys. Much appreciated!

Sixpipes
12-21-2006, 07:29 PM
I've got a stock upper in the garage if you want it. :cool:

Mark #2
12-21-2006, 07:44 PM
Some more opinion, no data, but when does that stop anyone.

I believe the restriction in the stock plenum is the ~45 degree angle on back of the intake.
That is why a single blade produces very little improvement to HP or TQ.
Used C&L have been readily available lately, so if I was going to go to the trouble of hand porting, I would start with a C&L.

jmlay
12-21-2006, 08:24 PM
Not to bad a price, $100:

http://www.nloc.net/vbforum/showthread.php?t=140639

Mike

L8 APEX
12-21-2006, 11:09 PM
All of the TB openings are the same size no matter which intake you buy. You'll have to port out anything you buy.

MachineAddict
12-23-2006, 07:41 AM
I'd skip the C&L and get the JLP sheetmetal intake. --wes

I still have the stock TB but my upper intake was ported by Steig when he was with Apten. I know he still does port jobs for our S/C's but not sure about the intakes. Honestly, I'd do as Wes stated and go with the JLP intake and skip the downtime.