PDA

View Full Version : Finally had time to show my truck some love........

BC Lightning
02-11-2007, 04:37 PM
and found three reasons my truck has been running so bad lately. With 6,000 miles on my new setup of built motor brand new Whipple

Reason #1 - broken park plug

http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/medium/IMG_01122.JPG

http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/medium/IMG_0114.JPG

Reason # 2 - rubber vac boot split all the way up (I actually new about this one, but havent found an auto store that carries it, ordering a new one from JJ tomorrow)

http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/medium/IMG_01161.JPG

http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/medium/IMG_0117.JPG

Reason # 3 - busted gasket that goes under the blower on top of the mid plate (will also be ordering this from JJ)

http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/medium/IMG_0118.JPG

BC Lightning
02-11-2007, 04:38 PM
So I'm off to Vato Zone to pick up a new oil, oil filter, fuel filter and etc odds and ends, hopefully this will make her run smooth again, I hate not being able to go WOT :(

Fuzion
02-11-2007, 06:36 PM
Good Luck! Let us know.

Mark #2
02-11-2007, 07:01 PM
Where is that vacuum part located?

BC Lightning
02-11-2007, 08:00 PM
under the blower on the midplate, driver side, its turned around in the pic so you can see the degree of the split

SVTJoseCuervo
02-11-2007, 08:23 PM
It will run sweet after you get that fix

Ohmsby
02-11-2007, 10:21 PM
How did you tear the gasket? Welcome to the f..d up plug my truck runs like chit club

Mine was so much happier W/ new plugs:burnout:

L8 APEX
02-11-2007, 10:59 PM
What concerns me is those plugs are busted due to severe detonation. I can't believe this is happening on such conservative timing and without the driver noticing... On a built motor that will take out a head gasket quickly. Once a plug gets that hot it erodes the threads in the head as my posted pics have shown. That makes it detonate and melt even faster the next time. With threads missing the plugs run even hotter than the other cyldiners. I only have 10-12 degrees of timing on Mikes rich street tune, but he has been running high boost on ethanol pump gas. Get that 3.75 pulley back on there! I guess that is why Jim is running 8 degrees on the Whipple tunes. Mike pulled the blower for warranty when it was new. I guess he tore the gasket when he re-installed it.

Ohmsby
02-11-2007, 11:09 PM
This ethanol bidness is interesting to me I am hearing a lot of different opinions on it.

I know that the MPG drops. How is it affecting our rides? I think only time will tell.

The funny thing is that ethanol is really not efficient with respect to energy production and absent the government subsidies this industry would not exist.

BC Lightning
02-11-2007, 11:10 PM
the 8# lower was taken off after the TFC, I was only seeing 17-18 #'s of boost with the 6er on it

L8 APEX
02-12-2007, 12:34 AM
You should not run more than 15psi on pump gas. IMO. American V8's are different than foreign engines. Just like superchargers are different than turbos. You can't go around town pumping 18psi on pump gas making top speed runs etc.

tiffo60
02-12-2007, 01:36 AM
i was having some detonation over the last month or so and it wasnt making any since to me, 15# of boost, 11 degrees timing, and 11.5 air to fuel, stopped using shell gas and now im using exon and valero and no more problem:cool:

L8 APEX
02-12-2007, 09:22 AM
Look at the plug you posted, see the crusty threads toward the end. You can see where the threads in the head have melted away from the plug. That cyldiner will do it faster next time.

03LightningRocks
02-13-2007, 08:41 PM
Look at the plug you posted, see the crusty threads toward the end. You can see where the threads in the head have melted away from the plug. That cyldiner will do it faster next time.

I hope he is listening to you Terry. Those plugs are all showing an extreme lean condition. Might it be possible that the leaky gasket has been allowing some unmetered air to enter the engine, helping to cause this?

BC Lightning
02-14-2007, 01:33 PM
I hope he is listening to you Terry. Those plugs are all showing an extreme lean condition. Might it be possible that the leaky gasket has been allowing some unmetered air to enter the engine, helping to cause this?

Yup I'm listening, and it has been lean for awhile and honestly haven't gone WOT since the TFC, well a couple times trying to data logg with Tiffo and took the truck to Terrys to get tuned and never has time for me.

I also talked to JJ at Woodbine motors and he said that the whipple gasket is designed for 1 time only cause they stick and rip. He suggested Grey RTV silicone in place of the gasket. I was curious and spoke with Mike at Whipple and he said that yes they are one time only.

The truck is runninng good, but lean, so I will be data logging my truck soon with L-Fever (butt-fungus) and getting some good tunes from JJ. Heard he has been doing some great tunes on other forums

I have already spoke with Jim 3 and have a quote on an all new JDM 5.4 aluminum block, new heads, cams, ported lower intake the whole nine yards. I am planning on purchasing later summer to winter, or earlier depending on if this block goes

L-Fever
02-14-2007, 05:55 PM
Taken from the Whipple installation instructions: Step #53

"You may also use anaerobic sealant, Permatex #510 or Loctite #518 for seating if a gasket is not available."

L8 APEX
02-14-2007, 06:35 PM
Yup I'm listening, and it has been lean for awhile and honestly haven't gone WOT since the TFC, well a couple times trying to data logg with Tiffo and took the truck to Terrys to get tuned and never has time for me.

I also talked to JJ at Woodbine motors and he said that the whipple gasket is designed for 1 time only cause they stick and rip. He suggested Grey RTV silicone in place of the gasket. I was curious and spoke with Mike at Whipple and he said that yes they are one time only.

The truck is runninng good, but lean, so I will be data logging my truck soon with L-Fever (butt-fungus) and getting some good tunes from JJ. Heard he has been doing some great tunes on other forums

I have already spoke with Jim 3 and have a quote on an all new JDM 5.4 aluminum block, new heads, cams, ported lower intake the whole nine yards. I am planning on purchasing later summer to winter, or earlier depending on if this block goes
I am not sure when it went lean other than due to the issues you posted with leaking gaskets and vac boots etc. That vac boot feeds the fuel pressure regulator its signal to raise pressure as well. When I was tuning it it was pig rich and we had to keep pulling fuel out of it. When you left that day it was running a good A/F as I remember:confused: . Oh well, good luck with your truck.

BC Lightning
02-24-2007, 11:12 PM
I only have 10-12 degrees of timing on Mikes rich street tune, but he has been running high boost on ethanol pump gas.

after data logging today it shows that my tune has 15 degrees of timing and not 10-12

we also found a few vac lines missing and never installed when we checked the whipple instructions, apparently there was alot of un-metered air, so we hooked up the missing lines

my wideband O2 sensor went bad so we couldn't log the a/f ratio, but we have a base line of info for JJ to start my tune with, which I will be sending him monday, already downloaded live load and updated my Xcal 2

pretty cool to have a guy sending tunes to John on a saturday after making a few runs and logging and then getting his truck running right, that thing is a beast :bows

thanks to the crew up in the "North Texas Safe house", I'll be up there again when my map sensor to data log boost levels, LFP Black Throttle body, in tank fuel lines and stainless Y, 4-link suspension with QA1 coil overs, Wideband O2 sensor, front hotchkiss sway bars, and new upper and lower pulleys come in this week and next, and still have to drop the center console and dash bubble pod off at Clark Bros to get painted, we'll have our hands full with my truck in the following weekends :tu:

PS - Wes you will be getting your Metco lowers soon bro, sorry for it taking so long, I thought they would have been off the truck last month

L8 APEX
02-25-2007, 01:18 AM
after data logging today it shows that my tune has 15 degrees of timing and not 10-12

we also found a few vac lines missing and never installed when we checked the whipple instructions, apparently there was alot of un-metered air, so we hooked up the missing lines

I looked at my tunes the street is 11 max and race was 15 max. Engine load and temps control timing. The dyno may not load it enough to run the top timing table? The tunes could be transposed but not likely you could try the race and see if it pulls 11 deg.
As for missing lines it was good when it left the shop. I deleted the EGR solenoid, boost dump solenoid, and other unecessary lines. Everything that needed a signal had one which is the brake booster, A/C panel, waste gate, and fuel pressure regulator. The instruction manual does not apply to custom installs. Un-metered air is an outright leak or opening behind the maf. I capped all un used fitting and lines. There is more than one way to skin a cat. You have had the blower off, ran torn gaskets and such, reinstalled etc. All of those events are variables that are out of my control. I am sorry I didn't get to work on your truck as we had planned. If you want to email me or come by the shop and go over any issues you run across that is fine. But posting these jabs up on the board is not the right way to handle it. I see you found a new crew to work with and wish you the best with your truck.

Silver_2000
02-25-2007, 10:34 AM
There is more than one way to skin a cat. You have had the blower off, ran torn gaskets and such, reinstalled etc. All of those events are variables that are out of my control. I am sorry I didn't get to work on your truck as we had planned. If you want to email me or come by the shop and go over any issues you run across that is fine. But posting these jabs up on the board is not the right way to handle it. I see you found a new crew to work with and wish you the best with your truck.

I agree, I wont allow this to turn into F150 or NLOC with people lobbing internet grenades at each other from behind the keyboard.

As far as timing - I have done enough data logging with my former NGS scanner to know that the Timing in the tune is the initial timing or requested timing. Load, temps etc etc ALL can change the timing. If that wasn't true then cold weather wouldn't be such a problem....

Dont get me started on JJ - I understand that he is the new king of tuning up north. If he has turned around his ways thats GREAT. However, I wouldn't trust him as far as I could throw his scrawny butt. His history has shown that he has blown up MANY MANY trucks and has been in business with MANY people and typically left owing them money or left having stolen tunes from them.

Before some of you start thinking to yourself that Im supporting Terry because he has supported the site - Thats true - Except the $$ terry contributes to the site is less than 5% of the monthly cost of maintaining the server. 4 years ago or whenever he started his monthly fee was critical - now its nice to have. Its not going to make or break the future of TALON. I give Terry big ups for supporting the site pretty much continuously over the years :tu::tu:. ( I just wish he would step up his game so I could raise his rates :evil )

The reason I support Terry is because he is a local resource who has been around for years and we know what to expect from him. The VAST majority of people who deal with him are very happy. I think that is much more valuable than an unstable mail order tuner from up north ....

If JJ or his posse from up north jump into this Ill enjoy banning the entire class C range of IPs they use.... :evil

I guess this is an indication that Im not in a charitable mood... :rll:

BC Lightning
02-25-2007, 12:32 PM
The dyno may not load it enough to run the top timing table?

Was on the street, not on the dyno

and I'm sorry if you are taking them as personal jabs, was just stating what was done to the truck this weekend and what plans I have for it

as for torn gasket, Mike at Whipple said that happens when you remove the blower since they are one time use, so that "jab" would be towards Whipple

dboat
02-25-2007, 02:12 PM
I agree, I wont allow this to turn into F150 or NLOC with people lobbing internet grenades at each other from behind the keyboard.

As far as timing - I have done enough data logging with my former NGS scanner to know that the Timing in the tune is the initial timing or requested timing. Load, temps etc etc ALL can change the timing. If that wasn't true then cold weather wouldn't be such a problem....

Dont get me started on JJ - I understand that he is the new king of tuning up north. If he has turned around his ways thats GREAT. However, I wouldn't trust him as far as I could throw his scrawny butt. His history has shown that he has blown up MANY MANY trucks and has been in business with MANY people and typically left owing them money or left having stolen tunes from them.

Before some of you start thinking to yourself that Im supporting Terry because he has supported the site - Thats true - Except the $$ terry contributes to the site is less than 5% of the monthly cost of maintaining the server. 4 years ago or whenever he started his monthly fee was critical - now its nice to have. Its not going to make or break the future of TALON. I give Terry big ups for supporting the site pretty much continuously over the years :tu::tu:. ( I just wish he would step up his game so I could raise his rates :evil )

The reason I support Terry is because he is a local resource who has been around for years and we know what to expect from him. The VAST majority of people who deal with him are very happy. I think that is much more valuable than an unstable mail order tuner from up north ....

If JJ or his posse from up north jump into this Ill enjoy banning the entire class C range of IPs they use.... :evil

I guess this is an indication that Im not in a charitable mood... :rll:

C'mon Doug, tell us how you really feel and dont sugar coat it..

All I can say is that Terry is the ONE and ONLY guy I trust with my truck. He has never ever lead me wrong.. Dana

Ohmsby
02-25-2007, 06:30 PM
you may want to use this when posting in this thread:D

L-Fever
02-25-2007, 06:46 PM
Passing this information along....And using the 10ft pole! :tex

"Doug,

I hope this post finds you well. I also hope that you would do your members a favor and post some real factual data to back up your slanderous remarks about me and my business dealings. If you cant post up anything to backup your slanderous accusations, I would hope that you would edit or remove them.

You and I have a jaded history no doubt, but years ago I moved on and have been doing quite well as you obviously know. I have done well by taking care of my customers and perfecting my craft of tuning and working on these vehicles. I consider our history exactly that, history, but for you to make statements that I have blown up many trucks and have shady business dealings only shows me that you have not moved on and you, along with the F150 Lightning section are stuck in limbo with nothing better to do.

I'm not sure if everyone knows or not, but JL isnt sponsoring F150 anymore, mostly due to the bias that they show and the lack of traffic. That site was the premier site years ago, but mismanagement and bias has taken its toll and the amount of posting shows that. If Rob wasnt a posting member of that site, it would literally be dead.

So, back to you and I Doug. Please provide these members the facts to backup your slanderous statements. I would appreciate it alot and I wish you the best.

Everyone else, I appreciate the kind words and your support. I hope that everyone knows that I am doing this for a living, but I do it because it is my passion. I appreciate all of my customers support, from my fastest to my slowest, it does not matter. We all have goals and needs and if I can be the one that you trust with your truck and your tunes, then I promise to do my best to provide exactly what you deserve, and thats the absolute best service, products, and tuning for your hard earned money. Thanks for your time and thank you for understanding.

JJ@WMS"

Silver_2000
02-25-2007, 10:49 PM
Passing this information along....And using the 10ft pole! :tex

"Doug,

I hope this post finds you well. I also hope that you would do your members a favor and post some real factual data to back up your slanderous remarks about me and my business dealings. If you cant post up anything to backup your slanderous accusations, I would hope that you would edit or remove them.

You and I have a jaded history no doubt, but years ago I moved on and have been doing quite well as you obviously know. I have done well by taking care of my customers and perfecting my craft of tuning and working on these vehicles. I consider our history exactly that, history, but for you to make statements that I have blown up many trucks and have shady business dealings only shows me that you have not moved on and you, along with the F150 Lightning section are stuck in limbo with nothing better to do.

I'm not sure if everyone knows or not, but JL isnt sponsoring F150 anymore, mostly due to the bias that they show and the lack of traffic. That site was the premier site years ago, but mismanagement and bias has taken its toll and the amount of posting shows that. If Rob wasnt a posting member of that site, it would literally be dead.

So, back to you and I Doug. Please provide these members the facts to backup your slanderous statements. I would appreciate it alot and I wish you the best.

Everyone else, I appreciate the kind words and your support. I hope that everyone knows that I am doing this for a living, but I do it because it is my passion. I appreciate all of my customers support, from my fastest to my slowest, it does not matter. We all have goals and needs and if I can be the one that you trust with your truck and your tunes, then I promise to do my best to provide exactly what you deserve, and thats the absolute best service, products, and tuning for your hard earned money. Thanks for your time and thank you for understanding.

JJ@WMS"

JJ and I have along standing disagreement.

The facts are that JJ has been banned from most of the forums at one point or another for his actions. NLOC, LS1, SVTperf, F150, and likely others. He has a long reputation for getting banned and just signing up with a new name.

He also has a history of jumping from one vendor to another.

He accused me a longtime ago of some crazy stuff that he wasnt ever able to prove yet he posted it as fact everywhere he could.

It may be that he has turned over a new leaf or changed his medications but he has never apologized to me so I keep a warm spot for him.

So keeping all that in mind, Im doing what I can to provide my opinion and feedback on vendors that I know something about, to try to keep the local guys out of trouble. Just like reminding the newbies that when it turns cold you may have to change your tune. Thats what these forums are for.

And one side affect is that this opinion will be recorded in Google.

Steve - You dont want to be in the middle of this.

EDIT - Im not sure what F150 and JL have to do with this but thats typical JJ

Silver_2000
02-26-2007, 01:06 AM
Found this quote that might help explain my concern

Originally Posted by JJ@WMS
Your missing out on some power there...

you can safely run 19 degrees on pump gas with a stock engine/heads/cams combo and Eaton. You will make around 25-30 more HP running 19 degrees than 17 and tq will be right there as well.

**Disclaimer** you must have good fuel and good fuel filter to do so above.

Daily driven L's on stock engines/heads/cams/eaton combo are tuned by me to run 19 degrees of timing and then I give them 21 for a race tune, as long as they are running the right plugs (no brisks) and fuel.

As long as the MAF is nowhere near pegging, your good to go.

Also, tailpipe A/F's can be .5- 1.0 leaner than the vehicle is actually running, so if your 11.8 with a tailpipe sniffer, I would bet that your 11.0 or richer and are missing out on even more power. Only way to find out is on a real dyno with a wideband. http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/images/smilies/rockon.gif

JJ@WMS

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169407&page=2
Its part of an older thread that ironically included a poll that showed that about 90% of the responders were running lower timing than JJs recommendation. Makes you wonder why 90% would be running less timing

TXLIGHTNING
02-26-2007, 02:53 PM
Found this quote that might help explain my concern Was going to post it myself, but I didnt want to get involved. Those are some aggressive street tunes. :eek:

tiffo60
02-26-2007, 02:59 PM
Im not taking sides here but i know there are a few people in this club that have ran 19* street tunes for the life of there trucks and never had any problems

L-Fever
02-26-2007, 03:28 PM
Im not taking sides here but i know there are a few people in this club that have ran 19* street tunes for the life of there trucks and never had any problems

I think that it all depends on when you hit max timing and not how much timing it actually runs and how the timing is integrated into the tune. IMO

Ohmsby
02-26-2007, 03:56 PM
I like vanilla ice cream with sprinkles:tex

tiffo60
02-26-2007, 03:59 PM
I like vanilla ice cream with sprinkles:tex

:santa