PDA

View Full Version : Asking question I know the answer too...

Silver_2000
02-13-2007, 09:42 AM
Assuming I had a 2006 bonus coming and was considering a whipple ... just because... how long would you expect the stock block to last ?

Doug

Decisions decisons

DLP
Whipple
New PC
retirement or
New refrigerator
too much to decide

L-Fever
02-13-2007, 09:58 AM
I know you have heard this before, it's all in right combination of supporting mods and most importantly, the tune and accurate on the street data logging !....IMO..;)

The whipple will make you smile!

Assuming I had a 2006 bonus coming and was considering a whipple ... just because... how long would you expect the stock block to last ?

Doug

Decisions decisons

DLP
Whipple
New PC
retirement or
New refrigerator
too much to decide

tiffo60
02-13-2007, 10:01 AM
as long as you keep the boost @15lbs or below you will be fine with a good tune

Ohmsby
02-13-2007, 10:04 AM

Doug

Decisions decisons

DLP Awesome relaxation and better to watch speed channel on
Whipple A new air thingy would be great
New PC With Vista:hammer:
retirement or no this would mean you are acting like an adult....
New refrigerator tough one here this keeps beer cold
too much to decide

Sixpipes
02-13-2007, 10:25 AM

Doug

First cold front...:D

Silver_2000
02-13-2007, 10:27 AM
Originally Posted by Silver_2000 http://www.talonclub.com/forum/images_talon/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.talonclub.com/forum/showthread.php?p=118932#post118932)

Doug

Decisions decisons

DLP Awesome relaxation and better to watch speed channel on
Whipple A new air thingy would be great
New PC With Vistahttp://www.talonclub.com/forum/images/smilies/bash.gif
retirement or no this would mean you are acting like an adult....
New refrigerator tough one here this keeps beer cold
too much to decide
Im the 4 pound pulley guy that doesn't race ... So the DLP is more likely than the Whipple

The fridge is still working its just cranked to 9 to keep the freezer at 10 degrees and it should be at zero .. So it will die soon - doesnt everyone check their freezer temp with an infrared laser temp gauge ? :rll:

I have no interest in owning Vista - I need to learn it for my job but its WAY too early for the drivers and stuff ... It would be an exercise in frustration

Doug

PS I have to be careful because this is my last EVER bonus - they rolled the bonus into the salary's this year ... That likely means we are going to get sold ..

Ohmsby
02-13-2007, 10:27 AM
First cold front...:D

:rll::rll:

Highlander540
02-13-2007, 10:54 AM
You dont ever race anymore?

The Whipple looks great.....but I can't see much point in it unless you race sometimes. DLP sounds like a good choice too.

WA 2 FST
02-13-2007, 11:06 AM
Doug,

I researched this ad nauseum. I went KB, as you know, but I am not worried at 460rwhp/535rwtq. ~13-14psi of boost is all I'm pushing, so I'm not even close to reaching the limits of the blower, and I believe I'm well within the safe range of the stock block/tranny. Mine's been together since August, and I've driven it this winter.

Granted, mine is a relatively short time-frame, but I think if you don't go crazy and try to make every last available HP out of the combo, you'll be ok.

Tex Arcana
02-13-2007, 07:09 PM
New PC With Fista :hammer...

fixed. :tongue:

Tex Arcana
02-13-2007, 07:12 PM
Im the 4 pound pulley guy that doesn't race ... So the DLP is more likely than the Whipple

The fridge is still working its just cranked to 9 to keep the freezer at 10 degrees and it should be at zero .. So it will die soon - doesnt everyone check their freezer temp with an infrared laser temp gauge ? :rll:

I have no interest in owning Vista - I need to learn it for my job but its WAY too early for the drivers and stuff ... It would be an exercise in frustration

Doug

PS I have to be careful because this is my last EVER bonus - they rolled the bonus into the salary's this year ... That likely means we are going to get sold ..

Fridge might just need servicing/cleaning/recharge, might be a cheap fix. :cool:

Fista: Back away SLOWLY... that's good... don't startle it, it might attack...

Whipple: "You only live twice:
Once when you're born, and
Once when you look death in the face." ... well, it ain't death, but it's hella fun. :)

TXLIGHTNING
02-13-2007, 07:22 PM
Fridge might just need servicing/cleaning/recharge, might be a cheap fix. :cool:

Fista: Back away SLOWLY... that's good... don't startle it, it might attack...

Whipple: "You only live twice:
Once when you're born, and
Once when you look death in the face." ... well, it ain't death, but it's hella fun. :)+1 :tu:

03LightningRocks
02-13-2007, 08:34 PM
I'd go with the DLP. It's less than the whipple and you will get more use out of it.

Maybe Tex the answer man can repair your refrigerator.....:rolleyes:.

Mark #2
02-13-2007, 09:20 PM
I'd go with the DLP. It's less than the whipple and you will get more use out of it.

Rocks, as you are the earliest DLP customer in Talon, how are your TVs doing?
Bulb life, etc?

Doug, I would buy the KB 2.6S after some research today, very efficient and lower intake temps at lower boost levels, it is all about detonation.

But feel free to purchase a DLP TV:D

dboat
02-13-2007, 09:39 PM

+1

03LightningRocks
02-13-2007, 09:40 PM
Rocks, as you are the earliest DLP customer in Talon, how are your TVs doing?
Bulb life, etc?

Doug, I would buy the KB 2.6S after some research today, very efficient and lower intake temps at lower boost levels, it is all about detonation.

But feel free to purchase a DLP TV:D

It works great. That one has become my bedroom TV. I purchased a larger one for my living room. Both are Samsung. The bulbs have yet to go out. I was told that they would have to be replaced here pretty soon. I hope it happens while I have the extended warranty.

Silver_2000
02-13-2007, 09:50 PM

yeah well I already rescued the 10 year old fridge from the edge by replacing the defrost heater, and the coil is clean - I havent seen a recent fridge in years that has the ports to add freon - I believe they are closed systems ..

Mark #2
02-13-2007, 09:55 PM
It works great. That one has become my bedroom TV. I purchased a larger one for my living room. Both are Samsung. The bulbs have yet to go out. I was told that they would have to be replaced here pretty soon. I hope it happens while I have the extended warranty.
Cool how many years on the first one?
Doug, this is still a little on topic.:D

Sixpipes
02-13-2007, 09:57 PM
I called Direct TV today to upgrade my service. If things work out, I'll be watching the Daytona 500 this Sunday using DLP technology. :d

03LightningRocks
02-13-2007, 10:01 PM

It has to be closing in on five years now. I probably need to check my warranty paperwork to see how long it's been. Most of my bigger purchases end up being just before the spring....LOL. I know I paid about 3500 bucks for a 42". That is what happens when you buy the latest greatest technology.

03LightningRocks
02-13-2007, 10:04 PM
I called Direct TV today to upgrade my service. If things work out, I'll be watching the Daytona 500 this Sunday using DLP technology. :d

Did they do any freebies on equipment upgrades? I have the older dish. It won't receive HD.

L8 APEX
02-13-2007, 10:06 PM
You have to get an HD dish and DVR receiver so you can record programs in high def. They are usually eager to upgrade without much cost.

03LightningRocks
02-13-2007, 10:07 PM
Snip..... - I havent seen a recent fridge in years that has the ports to add freon - I believe they are closed systems ..

They are closed systems. Maybe it used up all the freon :rolleyes:.

Sixpipes
02-13-2007, 10:07 PM
Did they do any freebies on equipment upgrades? I have the older dish. It won't receive HD.

Service call and dish upgrade is free. The monthly charge went up by 9.95/month. I thought that was a pretty reasonable deal. You do have to upgrade the receiver to HD at a cost of $100. In my case, if I buy a Samsung DLP from Best Buy, I get $150 off the TV if I buy a $100 receiver from them. :cool:

Ohmsby
02-13-2007, 10:08 PM
Service call and dish upgrade is free. The monthly charge went up by 9.95/month. I thought that was a pretty reasonable deal. :cool:

I thought the Playboy channel was $14.95 :D

03LightningRocks
02-13-2007, 10:09 PM
You have to get an HD dish and DVR receiver so you can record programs in high def. They are usually eager to upgrade without much cost.

Yeah, I bought the DVR receivers last year. Damned things where running around 400 bucks. I am seriously considering the FIOS option.

03LightningRocks
02-13-2007, 10:10 PM
Service call and dish upgrade is free. The monthly charge went up by 9.95/month. I thought that was a pretty reasonable deal. :cool:

Thanks. I will probably give them a call and see what they will do for me before I make a final decision.

Silver_2000
02-13-2007, 11:10 PM
Yeah, I bought the DVR receivers last year. Damned things where running around 400 bucks. I am seriously considering the FIOS option.
the video quality is good ... You rent the set top box

Silver_2000
02-13-2007, 11:10 PM

No its not ...many of our threads do this ...:nono:

Tex Arcana
02-13-2007, 11:37 PM

...or Rocks the knowitall threadcrapper shows up to give you his approval. :hammer:

Tex Arcana
02-13-2007, 11:39 PM
yeah well I already rescued the 10 year old fridge from the edge by replacing the defrost heater, and the coil is clean - I havent seen a recent fridge in years that has the ports to add freon - I believe they are closed systems ..

I know the two out in my garage have ports, tho they are both fairly old; not too sure about the one in the house now, but I'm fairly sure it's got ports as well, tho i could be wrong.

Sixpipes
02-14-2007, 07:19 AM
Get the Whipple. Logic pays no useful role when dealing with truck upgrades. I'm sure The Kressler would understand. Or you can have my Kenne Bell set up for a bargain. :D

Shiner1
02-14-2007, 10:02 AM
No whipple unless you are going to race.

You can buy a new fridge anytime. Kinda gay to have this on the list anyway.

Anytime is a good time for a new TV and you can never go wrong with that choice....I don't care what she says.

I say throw a keg'r for your truck buddies...:D

L-Fever
02-14-2007, 10:09 AM
Get the Whipple. Logic pays no useful role when dealing with truck upgrades. I'm sure The Kressler would understand. Or you can have my Kenne Bell set up for a bargain. :D

I like the way this guy thinks! :tu:

Sixpipes
02-14-2007, 10:32 AM

I forgot the best part... You can buy my KB setup and still have enough money left to buy a TV. :evil

Mark #2
02-14-2007, 10:36 AM
I forgot the best part... You can buy my KB setup and still have enough money left to buy a TV. :evil
Or you can buy mine and I'll get you a discount on a TV.:evil

Sixpipes
02-14-2007, 10:55 AM
I can name that tune in... no notes. :D

L8 APEX
02-14-2007, 12:03 PM
I like the bargaining going on here.:D

Sixpipes
02-14-2007, 12:24 PM
So what is a 2.6 KB going for these days? http://www.nloc.net/vbforum/images/smilies/devious.gif

L8 APEX
02-14-2007, 12:31 PM
I think Dante's had the best price at the time, 3450-3600? Make sure you get the H for HELL!:evil

Silver_2000
02-14-2007, 01:59 PM
Or you can buy mine and I'll get you a discount on a TV.:evil

do I have to ask why everyone is selling ?

Sixpipes
02-14-2007, 04:09 PM
do I have to ask why everyone is selling ?

Actually, I plan on keeping mine for another year before I upgrade to the 2.6 KB. I'm just jacking with The Kressler. However...:evil

Mark #2
02-14-2007, 07:54 PM
Actually, I plan on keeping mine for another year before I upgrade to the 2.6 KB. I'm just jacking with The Kressler. However...:evil
I am just jacking back, I will get the "TV stand" in before a 2.6 KB.

Silver_2000
02-15-2007, 09:37 AM
who needs an after market blower in the 30 degree weather ?
The truck is already making more power in every rpm range than can be applied to the road...

And since its only running a 4# pulley and has headers for good measure the cold weather shouldnt be too much of a risk...

I scared the crap out of myself on an entrance ramp behind a slow poke last night ... I was going to pass him then decided no - then changed my mind and went for it, and was past him so quick it was crazy...

I installed the SB throttle body I had and the filter I got from ohmsby and now I need to adjust out the slight sticking and a whistling sound at 1/4 inch of throttle ..

Tex Arcana
02-15-2007, 03:08 PM
who needs an after market blower in the 30 degree weather ?
The truck is already making more power in every rpm range than can be applied to the road...

And since its only running a 4# pulley and has headers for good measure the cold weather shouldnt be too much of a risk...

I scared the crap out of myself on an entrance ramp behind a slow poke last night ... I was going to pass him then decided no - then changed my mind and went for it, and was past him so quick it was crazy...

I installed the SB throttle body I had and the filter I got from ohmsby and now I need to adjust out the slight sticking and a whistling sound at 1/4 inch of throttle ..

Now you know what prompted me to look for upgraded brakes: even tho it was *just* a tune, the first time I got hard into it, in a similar situation as yours, it surprised the living hell out of me--and I am a major proponent of "what good is power if you can't friggin' stop??" :tu:

Silver_2000
08-14-2012, 07:43 PM
Well I bought the DLP in 8/2007

8/2012 it has 2 bright pixels ...

I wish TVs lasted like they did 20 years ago

WA 2 FST
08-14-2012, 08:13 PM
Yep... they just don't last like they used to. I ended up with a couple of Samsung LCD's over the past couple of years... but I wonder how long they will last as well.

Still not sure if you'd gotten the same life out of the KB. :P

Mark #2
08-14-2012, 09:11 PM
Well I bought the DLP in 8/2007

8/2012 it has 2 bright pixels ...

I wish TVs lasted like they did 20 years ago

Me too, I got a Samsung Plasma in 2008 as a 25 year award, 6 red pixels and red haze everywhere on a black screen, almost not watchable. Like everything else disposable crap from China or Mexico.

Silver_2000
08-15-2012, 08:01 AM
Me too, I got a Samsung Plasma in 2008 as a 25 year award, 6 red pixels and red haze everywhere on a black screen, almost not watchable. Like everything else disposable crap from China or Mexico.
Ironic that you got a plasma not a DLP.... :icon_lol:

L8 APEX
08-15-2012, 05:14 PM
My Sony LCD has great picture but has software issues with HDMI connected devices and audio glitches.

Mark #2
08-15-2012, 07:33 PM
Ironic that you got a plasma not a DLP.... :icon_lol:
I had a choice and thought that the grass might be greener, but it wasn't, as usually is the case.;)

WA 2 FST
08-15-2012, 09:51 PM
My Sony LCD has great picture but has software issues with HDMI connected devices and audio glitches.

I have that too with my Samsung that has multiple devices feeding it. It's not horrible, but when I have to cycle my Denon receiver several times every now and then, it can be annoying.

liteitup
08-16-2012, 06:31 AM
I'm still very happy w/my 52" Mitsubishi DLP. Changed the bulb once, probably close to time to change again.

Hope i didn't just jinx myself

L8 APEX
08-16-2012, 08:35 PM
More technology and higher performance can have its drawbacks. My 2011 F150 had the electric steering assist die at 22k miles. The turn signals stopped working, advance trac went with it etc.. It was super hard to steer for a few days until they replaced it. The dealer said he has seen a handful in Explorers and Fuzions fail. $2k if you are out of warranty...

99WhiteBeast
08-17-2012, 04:39 PM
My Samsung DLP I bought in 2005 still going strong. I had to replace the bulb last year but that is it

Sandman
08-17-2012, 10:11 PM
I have a Samsung LED based DLP... mainboard has been replaced a couple of times to resolve some hdmi switching issues and locking up... but the tv itself is great.

Silver_2000
08-18-2012, 08:38 AM
I have a Samsung LED based DLP... mainboard has been replaced a couple of times to resolve some hdmi switching issues and locking up... but the tv itself is great.
MInes also LED based - I had some werranty work done in the first year - now has 2 bright pixels - What I read is that they often spread

What Ill probobly do is Move this one to the Bedroom - everyone needs a 55" DLP in the bedroom and then get an LCD for the living room

The trouble is Ill need a handfull of people to help move the existing 36" Sony Tube TV in the bedroom.
In 1986 when I moved to texas I bought a Sony TV at Sam's- Still have it - Last time I checked it still worked...
Those were the good old days when stuff lasted

Silver_2000
08-19-2012, 09:05 PM
Anothern pixel failed ..... Not looking good

Mark #2
08-21-2012, 07:30 PM
Anothern pixel failed ..... Not looking good
Stuck on or stuck off, white or black? Are you sure there isn't dirt on the device or the mirror?
What does the DLP package look like, take a picture, I might have a cure, but it is a bit risky.

Silver_2000
08-21-2012, 09:00 PM
3 white pixels - Ill have to take apart the back to see the chip
they are BRIGHT white dots

Mark #2
08-21-2012, 09:31 PM
3 white pixels - Ill have to take apart the back to see the chip
they are BRIGHT white dots
Stuck on, not dirt, sticktion, a little mechanical shock can over come it depending on the package.

Silver_2000
08-21-2012, 11:43 PM
I found some old pictures

not sure if they help

Silver_2000
08-25-2012, 03:56 PM
well the stuck - white pixels are growing
up to 4 now
New TV is in my future