PDA

View Full Version : Radar Detector ban!?!?

Tex Arcana
03-01-2007, 02:54 PM
EDIT: As pointed out by others, this link has been corrected to show that it's a Florida-only legislation, not national. Turns out the V1 folks were right, that there is nothing on the horizon for a national ban. So, only people in Florida should be worried/working to stop this. But that doesn't absolve the rest of us from the need to be vigilant. :cool:

Legislation Would Put National Ban on Radar Detectors (http://www.i-go-cars.com/autos/legislation-would-put-national-ban-on-radar-detectors/)

There is proposed legislation going through the Senate right now that will ban the use of radar detectors in the US. According to the legislation, it’s supposed “to protect the public from drivers who think they can speed with impunity by using radar detection devices.”

The legislation, sponsored by Senator Steve Oelrich of Gainesville, Flroida, would make using a radar detector a secondary traffic infraction, which means you could be ticketed were pulled over for another offense and found to be using a radar detector.

Ken Underwood, President of the National Safety Commission, is praising the bill. I suspect that Mr. Underwood is not a radar detector user:

“This bill is a positive step to protect Florida families on roads and highways from speeding drivers.”

Mr. Underwood went on to say that “Radar detectors give drivers a false sense of security that they can speed as much as they want without facing the consequences of breaking the law,” Underwood said. “Speed limits are important because they are proven to help prevent accidents and save lives, and using a radar detector encourages people to drive at unsafe speeds.”

According to the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles, in 2005, more than 380 Florida drivers were killed in accidents where excessive speed was the major contributing factor in the crash. Apparently to reduce the danger caused by speeding, nine other states have prohibited the use of radar detectors, including Illinois and Virginia.

Hit the link, Digg it, spread the word, this sh!t has GOT to stop. :hammer:

tiffo60
03-01-2007, 03:11 PM
ill never stop using mine:D

dboat
03-01-2007, 07:23 PM
Interesting as a secondary penalty to another ticket only.. so I guess if you are speeding then you get a ticket for the detector.. but if they see it in your car and its turned on but no violation, then no ticket for the detector.

Dana

BC Lightning
03-01-2007, 09:08 PM
yet another reason for laser/lidar blinders :burnout:

02SVTpimp
03-02-2007, 01:44 AM
Damn, and i just bought my V1 like 2 weeks ago, i think thats :bs

Wht95Lightning
03-02-2007, 07:30 AM
Lidar guns should be banned imho. When I see a patrol car on the side of the road or an officer STANDING on the curb pointing a gun AT ME, it raises my blood pressure and increases my risk of heart attack and/or stroke. In the interest of public health, Lidar guns should go right in the dumpster with Vioxx and the Today Sponge.

99WhiteBeast
03-02-2007, 08:37 AM
Lidar guns should be banned imho. When I see a patrol car on the side of the road or an officer STANDING on the curb pointing a gun AT ME, it raises my blood pressure and increases my risk of heart attack and/or stroke. In the interest of public health, Lidar guns should go right in the dumpster with Vioxx and the Today Sponge.

:rll: Nice Gary

L-Fever
03-02-2007, 09:04 AM

This would be a great time to test out your new high power paint ball sniper rifle! From a secure position in full camo of course. :D

Cartel
03-02-2007, 10:04 AM
Wow hope this doesnt go through my butt would be toast. I already got a ticket in virgina last month when I was driving the L back home from PA. No one told me they were illegal in that state and the trooper says there were signs everywhere but I didnt see them otherwise I would have taken it down. But at least he didnt give me a ticket for going 87ish in a 70:banana:

SILVER2000SVT
03-02-2007, 01:24 PM
Where did you find an article that this is a national thing?

I did a search and have found this story in over a dozen news outlets on the net, all of which say this a proposed State of Florida Legislation. I see where the national safety committee is endorsing the legislation but only as a Florida bill.

BTW it still sucks, that would be what, the second or third state after VA now?

Tex Arcana
03-02-2007, 04:10 PM
Where did you find an article that this is a national thing?

I did a search and have found this story in over a dozen news outlets on the net, all of which say this a proposed State of Florida Legislation. I see where the national safety committee is endorsing the legislation but only as a Florida bill.

BTW it still sucks, that would be what, the second or third state after VA now?

Hit the link. They also state it's a national bill to ban. :hammer:

Update: I sent a message to Valentine1, asking what they knew of this; I got a reply today, saying they haven't heard anything, and that they keep close tabs on this sort of thing. That said, the link I included was incorrect; i sent a reply with the correct link, and asked if they would continue to follow up on this. I'll post what I get, when I get it. :cool:

liteitup
03-02-2007, 04:29 PM
Hit the link. They also state it's a national bill to ban. :hammer:

Update: I sent a message to Valentine1, asking what they knew of this; I got a reply today, saying they haven't heard anything, and that they keep close tabs on this sort of thing. That said, the link I included was incorrect; i sent a reply with the correct link, and asked if they would continue to follow up on this. I'll post what I get, when I get it. :cool:

link has been edited
The senator mentioned is in the Florida Senate
(http://www.flsenate.gov/Legislators/index.cfm?Members=View+Page&District_Num_Link=014&Submenu=1&Tab=legislators&chamber=Senate&CFID=29656207&CFTOKEN=56824330)

Tex Arcana
03-02-2007, 04:42 PM
link has been edited
The senator mentioned is in the Florida Senate
(http://www.flsenate.gov/Legislators/index.cfm?Members=View+Page&District_Num_Link=014&Submenu=1&Tab=legislators&chamber=Senate&CFID=29656207&CFTOKEN=56824330)

Duly noted. I'll correct my first post. :tex

03LightningRocks
03-03-2007, 01:29 PM
LOL............how dare they try to make us stop breaking the law. Who the hell do they think they are anyway. :rll:

Shiner1
03-05-2007, 11:24 AM
LOL............how dare they try to make us stop breaking the law. Who the hell do they think they are anyway. :rll:

:rll:

tiffo60
03-05-2007, 11:29 AM
I hope some of yall are enjoying the entertaining thread that Tex started on this subject over on NLOC:evil

Tex Arcana
03-05-2007, 06:39 PM
I hope some of yall are enjoying the entertaining thread that Tex started on this subject over on NLOC:evil

:rolleyes: Oh good lawd, I can't believe they went that far overboard. :(

wesman
03-05-2007, 08:17 PM
It's not as if this is new, they've been banned in several NE states for 8+ years

Mark #2
03-05-2007, 09:15 PM
It's not as if this is new, they've been banned in several NE states for 8+ years

"Despite the lack of any positive benefits, Virginia is the only state that bans the use of these common devices. In the past three decades, there were over 100 attempts in 33 states to enact similar bans, but only in Virginia and Connecticut did these misguided efforts succeed. Connecticut repealed its ban in 1992, and it is time for Virginia to do the same."

wesman
03-05-2007, 09:46 PM
"Despite the lack of any positive benefits, Virginia is the only state that bans the use of these common devices. In the past three decades, there were over 100 attempts in 33 states to enact similar bans, but only in Virginia and Connecticut did these misguided efforts succeed. Connecticut repealed its ban in 1992, and it is time for Virginia to do the same."

8+, 15, ..............semantics:D

The reason they don't want to repeal it????? I'll give you one guess....two words ______________ _________________

--wes

Mark #2
03-05-2007, 10:02 PM
8+, 15, ..............semantics:D

The reason they don't want to repeal it????? I'll give you one guess....two words ______________ _________________

--wes

At $30 per citation — the minimum fine under the photo-radar
program — the zone generated at least $396,000 worth of fines.
What's more, five of the District's 65 photo-radar enforcement
zones last month accounted for more than half of the 80,000 vehicles
cited for speeding and more than $1 million in fines.
The five zones — the 2800 block of New York Avenue NE, two
locations on the Anacostia Parkway, the 100 block of Michigan Avenue
NE and the 4600 block of Nannie Helen Burroughs Avenue NE — caught
42,955 speeding vehicles last month, according to Metropolitan Police
statistics. Those zones produced at least $1.28 million in speeding
citations last month.

I guess Tax Revenue

wesman
03-05-2007, 10:04 PM
I guess Tax Revenue

Get this man a beer, we have a winner :beer::beer:

mikelemoine
03-06-2007, 12:10 AM
citations last month.

I guess Tax Revenue

Only $30 for speeding? Hey I can afford that:nana2

Silver_2000
03-06-2007, 12:50 PM
http://www.nloc.net/vbforum/showthread.php?t=149361&page=3

Boy you are really really stupid... Guess what, I can write you a ticket without a radar in my police car... WTF is a POP mode, there is no such named mode on any device that is allowed to be used in NC and I'm certified on 21 different radar units...

BTW, if radar guns are used properly they are accurate to .25 mph... Valentine did not found the company for your BS reasons, btw... If you are trained to visually estimate, you have a good tone, you track the car, and keep your radar certified each year, and you use your tuning forks, then guess what, its always accurate... You are the picture perfect definition of someone who has a tiny bit of information and made up the rest and make assumptions on things you have no clue about...

tiffo60
03-06-2007, 02:37 PM
yeah that guys a tool:rolleyes:

Ohmsby
03-06-2007, 03:04 PM
I posted just to warm the thread up a little it's a good read

Tex Arcana
03-06-2007, 07:41 PM

When the article hit the 'net, it was new because it was percieved to be a NATIONAL ban... since that's not true (Florida only), there's nothing to worry about... yet. :tex

Tex Arcana
03-06-2007, 07:42 PM
citations last month.

I guess Tax Revenue

Imagine waht it's going to be like in Scottsdale, Arizona, where they have the radarless-photo-speed traps. :tex

Tex Arcana
03-06-2007, 07:48 PM
I posted just to warm the thread up a little it's a good read

I tried to post accurate information, to the best of my knowledge. And I *know* I read that blurb on Valentine's site about him co-founding Cincinnati's Microwave, and why they did it, but I could never find it thru Google. :(

03LightningRocks
03-06-2007, 08:02 PM
http://www.nloc.net/vbforum/showthread.php?t=149361&page=3

Yet another fine example of Tex getting "schooled". :rll:

Tex Arcana
03-06-2007, 08:17 PM
Yet another fine example of Tex getting "schooled". :rll:

:rolleyes: At least I tried to help people with an issue that potentially could affect *everyone*, instead of sitting around on my fat a55 berating and making fun of them.

Besides, I don't think that particular person Doug decided to quote was a legit "law enforcement officer", because his lack of knowledge on basic radar technology was rather obvious.

Beaudee
03-06-2007, 08:43 PM
:rolleyes: At least I tried to help people with an issue that potentially could affect *everyone*, instead of sitting around on my fat a55 berating and making fun of them.

Besides, I don't think that particular person Doug decided to quote was a legit "law enforcement officer", because his lack of knowledge on basic radar technology was rather obvious.

Even if that guy was a LEO,i found you cant argue with em anyway.Funny!:evil

WA 2 FST
03-06-2007, 09:01 PM
I am honestly dizzy from reading all that. But it was entertaining.

03LightningRocks
03-06-2007, 09:06 PM

Yeah...keep up the good fight there Tex...:rll: :rll: :rll: .

Tex Arcana
03-07-2007, 09:57 PM
Yeah...keep up the good fight there Tex...:rll: :rll: :rll: .

:nono: If it weren't for people like me, you wouldn't have the freedoms you enjoy today. :throw:

Beaudee
03-07-2007, 10:13 PM
Even if that guy was a LEO,i found you cant argue with em anyway.Funny!:evil

Correction, they are like Terminators.Cant be barganed with or reasoned with.I think its a predj. southern thing over there on NLOC. on this thread.:popcorn

03LightningRocks
03-08-2007, 12:55 AM
:nono: If it weren't for people like me, you wouldn't have the freedoms you enjoy today. :throw:

Wrong again Tex. You have about the same affect as a pimple has on the ass of a dog.

Driving by the way, is not an inherent right. It is a privilege, thus making it subject to the rules and regulations set forth by the authority that grants you this privilege. You agreed to abide by these laws when you accepted the drivers license you hold in your possesion. Speed limits are set to protect us all from folks that have little consideration for the safety and well being of others on the road. Yep.....I drive fast on occasion too. If I get caught....I know I have to own up to it. How in the name of all thats holy do you think you are somehow fighting for freedom by bitching about how the cops catch law breakers?

:rolleyes:

Tex Arcana
03-08-2007, 02:03 PM
Wrong again Tex. You have about the same affect as a pimple has on the ass of a dog.

Driving by the way, is not an inherent right. It is a privilege, thus making it subject to the rules and regulations set forth by the authority that grants you this privilege. You agreed to abide by these laws when you accepted the drivers license you hold in your possesion. Speed limits are set to protect us all from folks that have little consideration for the safety and well being of others on the road. Yep.....I drive fast on occasion too. If I get caught....I know I have to own up to it. How in the name of all thats holy do you think you are somehow fighting for freedom by bitching about how the cops catch law breakers?

:rolleyes:

Actually, I'm bitching about cops using inherently inaccurate methods of catching law breakers. You certainly wouldn't want a bunch of cops showing up at your house, busting down your door, and arresting you for having a marijuana hothouse in your house, that they discovered via the use of an infrared camera, which they either used improperly or was malfunctioning--now would you??

And you certainly would not want a cop pulling you over for speeding when you were doing the speed limit.

Cops are not the be-all, end-all of the justice system. They are not judges, they are definitely not the juries. I appreciate them for the work they do, but I dislike the bad-apples that seem to be proliferating these days, using the job and the tools to convict innocent people without regard to their essential rights. That's completely wrong, and should not be tolerated, by ANY of us.

If you wish to tolerate it, so be it: there's plenty of police-state nations where you might be more at home. Otherwise, don't turn a bind eye to the injustices and improper behavior: they must obey the same laws we must.

If this thread (or the other one) helped ONE person, educated ONE person, then my job wasn't wasted effort. Just because it didn't convince Your Highness, doesn't mean it didn't help others, if only to encourage them to do some research and LEARN.

03LightningRocks
03-08-2007, 04:51 PM
SNIP>>>>>>>>>

If this thread (or the other one) helped ONE person, educated ONE person, then my job wasn't wasted effort.<<<<<<<<<<<SNIP

:rll: :rll: :rll: YOUR JOB?????????:rll: :rll: :rll:

UH.....OK....:rolleyes:

03LightningRocks
03-08-2007, 05:01 PM
URGH!!! I tried not to do this, but I must respond to your stupid analogy. There is a huge difference between what goes on in the privacy of ones home...and what one does out on the PUBLIC streets.

Let me elaborate for you. If I set up a pot farm in clear view of the law, I will be busted just as quickly as when I exceed the speed limit in clear view of the law.

Ohmsby
03-08-2007, 05:55 PM
URGH!!! I tried not to do this, but I must respond to your stupid analogy. There is a huge difference between what goes on in the privacy of ones home...and what one does out on the PUBLIC streets.

Let me elaborate for you. If I set up a pot farm in clear view of the law, I will be busted just as quickly as when I exceed the speed limit in clear view of the law.

Rocks does this mean that you and Tex are not going to prom together?:D

I love when you two get goin no doubt some of the best reading out there:banana:

tiffo60
03-08-2007, 06:00 PM
it is a lovers quarrel:D

TXLIGHTNING
03-08-2007, 06:26 PM
it is a lovers quarrel:D

I love when you two get goin no doubt some of the best reading out there:banana: You guys are a TRIP! :rll:

Tex Arcana
03-10-2007, 10:44 PM

You missed the damn point to begin entirely: I was saying YOU got busted for growing pot when you clearly were not doing so, based entirely on the "evidence" gathered from an improperly-employed device.

Let me give you a simpler analogy (more in line with your level of comprehension): you're driving down 190, doing 60mph, in the right-center lane, and the cop pulls you over and writes you a ticket for doing 86. Obviously (to those of us who understand the technology and the limitations therein), the cop was using POP radar, and obviously not doing it right. Either way, you just got cited for speeding, and the cop just doesn't give a fock that he was both wrong and using the technology improperly--and in any case, you're screwed.

I ask you again: is that right??

The sensible answer is, "of course not". But cops want you to believe the tools are infallible so no one questions them. Which brings up the next question: who's watching the watchers?? And the answer to THAT is still, ultimately, US: you, me, and the rest of the citizenry. Part of "democracy" is watching the public servants and making damn sure they don't abuse their powers.

If you believe that the police should be able to do whatever they want with impunity, then I suggest you have a discussion with Christy hernadez (http://mckinneynews.net/news.php?nid=4471&cat=2), who fell victim to cops not doing their jobs properly--she might not agree with you.

...what one does out on the PUBLIC streets.
...I will be busted just as quickly as when I exceed the speed limit in clear view of the law.

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black. :rolleyes:

Tex Arcana
03-10-2007, 10:45 PM

I love when you two get goin no doubt some of the best reading out there:banana:

:throw: I'd rather shoot myself. :vomit:

BC Lightning
03-11-2007, 12:21 AM
You missed the damn point to begin entirely: I was saying YOU got busted for growing pot when you clearly were not doing so, based entirely on the "evidence" gathered from an improperly-employed device.

Let me give you a simpler analogy (more in line with your level of comprehension): you're driving down 190, doing 60mph, in the right-center lane, and the cop pulls you over and writes you a ticket for doing 86. Obviously (to those of us who understand the technology and the limitations therein), the cop was using POP radar, and obviously not doing it right. Either way, you just got cited for speeding, and the cop just doesn't give a fock that he was both wrong and using the technology improperly--and in any case, you're screwed.

The sensible answer is, "of course not". But cops want you to believe the tools are infallible so no one questions them. Which brings up the next question: who's watching the watchers?? And the answer to THAT is still, ultimately, US: you, me, and the rest of the citizenry. Part of "democracy" is watching the public servants and making damn sure they don't abuse their powers.

If you believe that the police should be able to do whatever they want with impunity, then I suggest you have a discussion with Christy hernadez (http://mckinneynews.net/news.php?nid=4471&cat=2), who fell victim to cops not doing their jobs properly--she might not agree with you.

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black. :rolleyes:

So I didn't understand, was Rocks growing pot?

They way I understand what your saying is you get busted for growing pot from a "improperly-employed device" but if you were not growing any then there wouldn't be any evidence, so I don't understand where your going with that?

If you speed you can be ticketed for it, if this passes and you get busted for having a radar detector, you can be ticketed, big deal pay the fine and go about your life

I could care less if they ban radar detectors, if your speeding you should be ticketed, will this cause me to stop speeding? No. Will i get rid of my V-1? No. I personally feel your stretching too far on this issue Tex

I guess this really effects those who are still stock and can't out run the cops, I can't wait to see how many truck lengths I can put between me and the cop car with the new 2.6KB going on :evil

03LightningRocks
03-11-2007, 10:13 AM
So I didn't understand, was Rocks growing pot?

They way I understand what your saying is you get busted for growing pot from a "improperly-employed device" but if you were not growing any then there wouldn't be any evidence, so I don't understand where your going with that?

If you speed you can be ticketed for it, if this passes and you get busted for having a radar detector, you can be ticketed, big deal pay the fine and go about your life

I could care less if they ban radar detectors, if your speeding you should be ticketed, will this cause me to stop speeding? No. Will i get rid of my V-1? No. I personally feel your stretching too far on this issue Tex

I guess this really effects those who are still stock and can't out run the cops, I can't wait to see how many truck lengths I can put between me and the cop car with the new 2.6KB going on :evil

He can't help himself. He is busy saving us all from government domination:rll: . Leave the man alone, he has work to do:rolleyes: .

03LightningRocks
03-11-2007, 10:15 AM
Oh yeah...one more thing. No....Rocks is not growing pot. Not this season anyway...:rll: . Tex is going to screw around and get my pot farm raided.

Silver_2000
03-11-2007, 11:18 AM
Im surprised that Tex hasnt ended up in jail. Constantly questioning the jobs and competence of the police.

What is it with the obsession with POP radar ? What if you get a ticket and they used POP ? can you prove it ? No not without an Atty. If you are going to do that, then just STFU and take the ticket and call the Atty. IN that scenario the Atty likely has an easier job to do since you didn't piss off the cop into giving you more tickets... But then again I must be doing something woring because in 110,000 miles of driving a Lightning over 6 + years I have only gotten 1 Speeding ticket. In my case there was no question ... I was going FAST

PUMP
03-11-2007, 10:54 PM
Oh yeah...one more thing. No....Rocks is not growing pot. Not this season anyway...:rll: . Tex is going to screw around and get my pot farm raided.
To paraphrase one of Dr. Hooks old songs, "I got stonned and I missed it":evil

Sandman
03-12-2007, 12:10 AM

Sorry Tex,

I'm not sure what a radar detector is going to do for you here. Last time I checked, the speed limit on 190 is 60. So what is a radar detector going to do for you here. It's not like you are going to see your radar detector go off and slow down... you're already going the speed limit.

But I have been here. I had my cruise control set on the speed limit a few years back when DPS nailed the guy next to me who was passing me. Then they pulled me over. I tried to explain, but the officer wouldn't give in. I even spoke to the judge, but was told I would have to take it to court. I paid the ticket. I probably could have taken it to court.. Maybe I could have won.. But it was still my word against his. Not worth the effort in my book on this one. Is what they did right? No. I was right. Did I really lose any sleep over it? Maybe the night I wrote the check.

But, stuff happens. I marked it as a fluke in my book. Are the cops out there trying to persecute the innocent? Maybe some are, but I like to believe that there are still good people in this world. Hopefully most of the authorities are in this category and not just in the dream world I live in.

You are right in the fact that it is our job to watch them and make sure they don't abuse their powers. While you're link on Christy required a log in, I did find info on her (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/030607dnmetmistakenid.395f130.html), and in both my case and Christy's case, I'm not sure the abuse of power was the issue. Now what happened to her sucked a lot more than what happened to me, and hopefully she can get her record expunged. But in both cases I think the officers probably did what they could with the information they had. Now in Christy's case, they should have been much more thorough, but I don't think that it is an issue with abuse of power.

Just my 2 cents.

Tex Arcana
03-12-2007, 12:58 PM
Sorry Tex,

I'm not sure what a radar detector is going to do for you here. Last time I checked, the speed limit on 190 is 60. So what is a radar detector going to do for you here. It's not like you are going to see your radar detector go off and slow down... you're already going the speed limit.

But I have been here. I had my cruise control set on the speed limit a few years back when DPS nailed the guy next to me who was passing me. Then they pulled me over. I tried to explain, but the officer wouldn't give in. I even spoke to the judge, but was told I would have to take it to court. I paid the ticket. I probably could have taken it to court.. Maybe I could have won.. But it was still my word against his. Not worth the effort in my book on this one. Is what they did right? No. I was right. Did I really lose any sleep over it? Maybe the night I wrote the check.

But, stuff happens. I marked it as a fluke in my book. Are the cops out there trying to persecute the innocent? Maybe some are, but I like to believe that there are still good people in this world. Hopefully most of the authorities are in this category and not just in the dream world I live in.

You are right in the fact that it is our job to watch them and make sure they don't abuse their powers. While you're link on Christy required a log in, I did find info on her (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/030607dnmetmistakenid.395f130.html), and in both my case and Christy's case, I'm not sure the abuse of power was the issue. Now what happened to her sucked a lot more than what happened to me, and hopefully she can get her record expunged. But in both cases I think the officers probably did what they could with the information they had. Now in Christy's case, they should have been much more thorough, but I don't think that it is an issue with abuse of power.

Just my 2 cents.

A worthy 2 cents indeed. :tu:

You have to draw a line somewhere, and define what "abuse" is. A cop being lazy, or abusing a tool, to me is "abuse". A judge trying to get reelected with "popular" decisions that are not based on fact: abuse. A politician pushing thru legislation that impinges on the rights of any group of Americans: abuse.

Sorry about the link, I used http://www.bugmenot.com/ to get to the story. :hammer: