PDA

View Full Version : Parts for replacing the rotors and pads

GoldLS1
03-09-2007, 08:45 PM
I was reading some articles before replacing my rotors and pads, and realized that I might need some more parts?? I have the Front and Rear rotors and pads what else do I need :confused: ?? Im not talking tools, PARTS only!! I dont plan on bleeding the brakes either.

GoldLS1
03-10-2007, 06:25 PM
Alright someone share their knowledge....

Mark #2
03-10-2007, 09:44 PM
Alright someone share their knowledge....
You can get a kit at Pep Boys that has the metal clips, and rubber parts that go over slides. Don't have to replace these but I do.
Take the old ones in so you can get the correct parts, they don't have L in their system.

Get a couple of packets of caliper lube and I spray the backing plates of the pads with Permatex Disc brake quiet.

Tex Arcana
03-10-2007, 10:49 PM
Are you talking stock rotors?? If so, the fronts may require you to replace the bearings and races, esp if you can't get the old races out of the rotors. The rears jsut bolt right on.

GoldLS1
03-10-2007, 11:37 PM
Yep taking out the stockers, putting in EBCs.

Tex Arcana
03-10-2007, 11:41 PM

Bearings and races, come as a set, about $40 or so. Don't forget bearing grease, brake fuild (probably should change it), brake cleaner. How many miles on the truck?

GoldLS1
03-11-2007, 12:21 AM
Just rolled 20k.

BC Lightning
03-11-2007, 12:46 AM
Just rolled 20k.

damn, just rolled 58,000 on my 2004 :rolleyes:

SILVER2000SVT
03-11-2007, 10:07 AM

Save the money on the pads I'll sell you my old EBC pads with on 1000 miles on them (still in perfect condition) for $40 for both front and rear.

GoldLS1
03-11-2007, 11:26 AM
damn, just rolled 58,000 on my 2004 :rolleyes:

I got the truck last September/October?? w/ 10,700 on it!! :tu: Make no mistake I drive it...

Save the money on the pads I'll sell you my old EBC pads with on 1000 miles on them (still in perfect condition) for $40 for both front and rear.

I already have the pads and rotors sitting in my garage... but let me ask you, why did ya change them?? Which ones are you running now??

Preciate the info!! :bows

SILVER2000SVT
03-11-2007, 12:32 PM
I already have the pads and rotors sitting in my garage... but let me ask you, why did ya change them?? Which ones are you running now??

Preciate the info!! :bows

The EBC's stop great but were too hard on the rotors for my taste. Within just a few hundred miles I started getting heat marks on the rotors (EBC slotted & dimpled). So before I destroyed the expensive rotors I changed them out...

I went to the Hawk HPS pads (bought them at PepBoys). They stop pretty well, definitely better than stock but not quite as aggressive as the EBC's. Now after 10K miles, I have don't have anymore heat marks, so I'm sticking with these.

To understand how I drive. My stock pads were only half wore down at 30K miles. So for the EBC's to be that aggressive on the rotors with my easy braking was totally unacceptable.

Tex Arcana
03-11-2007, 08:40 PM
The EBC's stop great but were too hard on the rotors for my taste. Within just a few hundred miles I started getting heat marks on the rotors (EBC slotted & dimpled). So before I destroyed the expensive rotors I changed them out...

I went to the Hawk HPS pads (bought them at PepBoys). They stop pretty well, definitely better than stock but not quite as aggressive as the EBC's. Now after 10K miles, I have don't have anymore heat marks, so I'm sticking with these.

To understand how I drive. My stock pads were only half wore down at 30K miles. So for the EBC's to be that aggressive on the rotors with my easy braking was totally unacceptable.

Which flavor EBCs did you use?

SILVER2000SVT
03-12-2007, 06:31 AM
Which flavor EBCs did you use?

Just their regular Green Stuff pads.

dboat
03-12-2007, 09:04 AM
Just their regular Green Stuff pads.

That is what I run too.. they are greatness... I knew they were the right thing after I had a couple of passengers go thru the front window:D

Dana

Tex Arcana
03-12-2007, 12:53 PM
That is what I run too.. they are greatness... I knew they were the right thing after I had a couple of passengers go thru the front window:D

Dana

I've heard good things about them, too, esp. the Yellow Stuff. The ones I've got now (B-compound Wilwood) are still a bit harsh for the street (and dust like that duststorm that came thru here), so I'm thinking of going to the Yellow or Green.

dboat
03-12-2007, 08:42 PM
I've heard good things about them, too, esp. the Yellow Stuff. The ones I've got now (B-compound Wilwood) are still a bit harsh for the street (and dust like that duststorm that came thru here), so I'm thinking of going to the Yellow or Green.

Well, Terry recommended the green stuff for me and I have never looked back.. they are greatness.. saved my bacon on more than one occasion.
Dana