PDA

View Full Version : I will never buy NAPA parts again!

SILVER2000SVT
03-12-2007, 10:59 AM
How is it that NAPA has the reputation for having higher quality parts? This is anything but the case.

This is relating to some parts I bought for the Durango. I figure since many of you use NAPA that it should be in the general discussion section.

1st I bought some lift gate cylinders. These just look cheap compared to the stock ones and the bad part is that they were only just a little less cost than the price quote I got from the dealer. Upon installation one of the cheap plastic ends broke. I couldn't believe it, I was being really easy with it. I returned it and got another one no questions asked. They do seem to have good service. Now 2 weeks after installing them I try and raise the lift gate and they won't raise it without me having to push it all the way up. It seems to be sticking and chattering. I put a little spray lube on it for now, but after 2 weeks is ridiculous. The stock ones lasted 7 years and never had to do this.

Next I bought new brake pads and rotors. I even sprang for the Canadian made part vs. the cheaper Chinese parts. The pads I got had an extra metal clip that I had to cut off that wasn't suppose to be there. Then after I get everything together and take it for a test drive I get a squealing/grinding noise. Upon inspection I found that theres a factory spring clip on the caliper that interfers with the new rotor. Thinking this was kind of strange I started measuring stuff. It turns out that the new rotors are almost 3/8" bigger on the hub diameter than it should be. I ended up just removing the factory spring clips. Everything seems to work for now, although I'm not extremely comfortable leaving the spring clips off. I'm not sure what to do because best case is they give me more crappy parts and I have to do the work all over again.

:flaming:

I'm just trying to put a stop to the false widespread rumor that NAPA carries better parts. They even charge higher prices for this crap when compared with other stores.

Cartel
03-12-2007, 11:43 AM
What brand are the lifts?

I work at the zone and no matter what no ones truly happy with any parts store. People come in fussing about advance auto, o'rielly's and ABC auto (I think they might be an east texas chain dont know if yall have them in dallas) And I have friends who work at both advance and oriellys and say people always come in bitching about the other 2 places. So as I see it its kinda like the weather. If you think about it we are never happy. One day its too hot then next its too cold...

I do agree everyone has there plus a minuses. Sometimes ill get a part for someone and look at it and think oh god this thing looks so cheap I wouldnt use it. So thats when I try to sell them a better part not to make the store more money but just because I dont belive in selling something im not even comfortable with. Who knows they might have gotten you the wrong rotor. Nowadays there are so many little things that can change stuff. Sometimes there will be 3 or 4 different parts that work for the same vehicle so figuring it out can kinda suck. But of course the parts houses are the ones that dont know nothing. We always have to have someone to blame right? **** happens try again!

Tex Arcana
03-12-2007, 01:11 PM
How is it that NAPA has the reputation for having higher quality parts? This is anything but the case.

This is relating to some parts I bought for the Durango. I figure since many of you use NAPA that it should be in the general discussion section.

1st I bought some lift gate cylinders. These just look cheap compared to the stock ones and the bad part is that they were only just a little less cost than the price quote I got from the dealer. Upon installation one of the cheap plastic ends broke. I couldn't believe it, I was being really easy with it. I returned it and got another one no questions asked. They do seem to have good service. Now 2 weeks after installing them I try and raise the lift gate and they won't raise it without me having to push it all the way up. It seems to be sticking and chattering. I put a little spray lube on it for now, but after 2 weeks is ridiculous. The stock ones lasted 7 years and never had to do this.

Next I bought new brake pads and rotors. I even sprang for the Canadian made part vs. the cheaper Chinese parts. The pads I got had an extra metal clip that I had to cut off that wasn't suppose to be there. Then after I get everything together and take it for a test drive I get a squealing/grinding noise. Upon inspection I found that theres a factory spring clip on the caliper that interfers with the new rotor. Thinking this was kind of strange I started measuring stuff. It turns out that the new rotors are almost 3/8" bigger on the hub diameter than it should be. I ended up just removing the factory spring clips. Everything seems to work for now, although I'm not extremely comfortable leaving the spring clips off. I'm not sure what to do because best case is they give me more crappy parts and I have to do the work all over again.

:flaming:

I'm just trying to put a stop to the false widespread rumor that NAPA carries better parts. They even charge higher prices for this crap when compared with other stores.

Jason, you know better than to run a part that is obviously not the one that belongs on the vehicle!! Take those damn rotors back, and get the right ones!! :hammer:

I wonder if it's the particular NAPA you're dealing with, tho: when I got the Ceramix pads a couple years ago, they were no problem at all, and the stuff I've gotten since (minor stuff, to be sure, but still) has been okay as well.

Good luck, tho. I think I'd have a word with the manager about this, as well.

L8 APEX
03-12-2007, 03:36 PM
Durangos suck to begin with:tongue: . NAPA is high priced and lately the parts don't show it. I ordered a window motor for a Harley truck and they wanted 75 bucks, Oriellys was the exact same motor and only 35 bucks. I only call NaPa when I can't find it anywhere else. Most spring clips are designed to seperate the pads from the rotor so they don't drag and wear prematurely.

SILVER2000SVT
03-12-2007, 03:47 PM
Durangos suck to begin with:tongue: ...

That's no lie, in this case it's a freebe that I can use for a few months, I just have to pay for the upkeep.