PDA

View Full Version : Gen 2 6spd manual trans

mtj11859
03-12-2007, 07:37 PM
Hi to all,I am a new member and wanted to introduce myself.I have followed this site for quite some time and have gained a lot L knowledge from this site (even before I bought my truck in June 05.)and wanted to say thanks to y'all.What I was wondering is how come nobody has put a 6 speed manual trans in one of these trucks,I do realize that most guys drag racing would prefer the 4r100 with a high stall,but what about the road racers? Wouldn't the new Gt500 trans be a natural for the L? I would love a manual trans in my '04 L and wished it was a factory option but with the low production numbers(thankfully) I imagine SVT found the optional tooling etc to be unprofitable,but there is the aftermarket and a talented guy like Terry Cole could easily handle this task.Any thoughts or opinions would be welcome.Thanks Matt

bluesvt
03-12-2007, 07:40 PM
Welcome to TALON. :beer:

L8 APEX
03-12-2007, 07:49 PM
1) nobody makes a performance 6spd rated for our weight and power.
2) there is no good shifter design to keep from a 18" throw from gear to gear. Just too much distance between the seats and the floor. These are the same reasons the Dodge Viper truck has fallen flat on its face. It has ZERO towing capacity, eats clutch disks for breakfast, and shifts like a Mack truck even with the Hurst shifter. At most I would convert to a manual valve body and a performance console shifter. That way you can lock it in gear etc..

mtj11859
03-12-2007, 07:53 PM
Thanks,I feel like I already know you guys from following this forum for so long! It's great to see how much we all love the Lightnings and I couldn't imagine driving without the L.They'll have to build a pretty amazing truck to beat the L in the "fun to drive" category and IMHO they'll never top its good looks.

mtj11859
03-12-2007, 08:08 PM
Yeah I didn't consider the extra ton of weight we have on the GT500 I only took the torque rating and application to the 5.4 block into consideration.However it should be a little easier to do with a set of Sparco seats and a console wouldn't it? And the sound of the L getting 4th gear rubber......

RUNVS
03-12-2007, 08:46 PM
I would think that re-configuring the PCM to accept anything other than a 4R100 would be a tuning nightmare.

BC Lightning
03-12-2007, 09:33 PM
Here is a Lightning with a 6-speed tranny

http://www.hotrodbuilders.com/ProjectDetails.aspx?34

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y7/MichaelBic38/WHITELIGHTENING21.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y7/MichaelBic38/WHITELIGHTENING24.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y7/MichaelBic38/WHITELIGHTENING11.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y7/MichaelBic38/WHITELIGHTENING22.jpg

L8 APEX
03-12-2007, 09:50 PM
The pedals are also not close enough to heel toe. That is a major factor when driving. I have heated, bent, cut and rewelded a few brake pedals in my day to get the offset right for pedal dancing. The Fords have never understood this, and GM has about perfected it over the years.

SVTJoseCuervo
03-12-2007, 10:30 PM
The pedals are also not close enough to heel toe. That is a major factor when driving. I have heated, bent, cut and rewelded a few brake pedals in my day to get the offset right for pedal dancing. The Fords have never understood this, and GM has about perfected it over the years.

true....I would love a 6 speed L tho.

Cartel
03-12-2007, 11:30 PM
Its a truck so I dont mind so much. If it was a car it has to be stick. I had a firehawk before the L and I know I sound like a trader but I still wish it back everyday. It was a 6spd and nothing was more fun to drive. Sure trying to drag I couldnt hook up to save my life but on the streets it rocked. But none the less thats my sad moment of the day. Someone decided a red light meant go and not stop. So there went car number 365...

What was this thread about? Oh yeah stick. Youll be happy when your sitting in dallas traffic in the L and not a 6spd. That L in the pics doesnt look too hot either. Ok im bored outta my mind.

Tex Arcana
03-13-2007, 01:41 PM
1) nobody makes a performance 6spd rated for our weight and power.
2) there is no good shifter design to keep from a 18" throw from gear to gear. Just too much distance between the seats and the floor. These are the same reasons the Dodge Viper truck has fallen flat on its face. It has ZERO towing capacity, eats clutch disks for breakfast, and shifts like a Mack truck even with the Hurst shifter. At most I would convert to a manual valve body and a performance console shifter. That way you can lock it in gear etc..

What would it take to drop the F250 diesel manual in? One would think it's got the balls to handle the power/torque, even if it's "only" a 5spd... :confused:

wesman
03-13-2007, 04:08 PM
The Dodge boys asked the same question and threw a 6-spd in theirs and the SRT-10 has been an utter failure until they actually sold some QC's because of the auto tranny.

--wes

Tex Arcana
03-15-2007, 01:52 PM
I just read about the 5R110 in FPT; if I read that deisgnation right, is that a 5-sp, and would it work in out trucks as well?