PDA

View Full Version : trans blues

MCA CUSTOMS
03-22-2007, 10:27 PM
Anyone have any suggestions about why sometimes under w.o.t my trans slips when going from 1st to 2nd?

wesman
03-22-2007, 10:35 PM
Could be a number of things....I'll go with Intermediate sprag is about to let go and you sir will need a tranny rebuild :hammer:

Ohmsby
03-22-2007, 10:38 PM
Could be a number of things....I'll go with Intermediate sprag is about to let go and you sir will need a tranny rebuild :hammer:

+1
the famed ghost shift I had this in my 03 instead of replacing the tranny I crashed the truck and got a new one

wesman
03-22-2007, 10:41 PM
+1
the famed ghost shift I had this in my 03 instead of replacing the tranny I crashed the truck and got a new one

lol...I think you're on to something here....instead of upgrading/repairing, just crash and buy bigger and better.....I like the way you think :rll::rll:

--wes

Tex Arcana
03-23-2007, 02:05 PM
+1

I thought Terry said that's the converter locking up?? I complained about mine doing it a few times with the dealer, the rebuilt the trans, replaced the sprag clutch, and a few solenoids, but it never went away. It wasn't 'til Terry cleared it up that I understood what was going on.

wesman
03-23-2007, 02:11 PM
I thought Terry said that's the converter locking up?? I complained about mine doing it a few times with the dealer, the rebuilt the trans, replaced the sprag clutch, and a few solenoids, but it never went away. It wasn't 'til Terry cleared it up that I understood what was going on.

Two different things here Tex. If your tranny was slipping and the Int. sprag was going out/gone you'd know it. In WOT conditions, going from 1-2 it will literally rev to redline and not shift. That is not a convertor problem, it's a mechanical failure inside of the case.

--wes

Tex Arcana
03-23-2007, 02:27 PM
Two different things here Tex. If your tranny was slipping and the Int. sprag was going out/gone you'd know it. In WOT conditions, going from 1-2 it will literally rev to redline and not shift. That is not a convertor problem, it's a mechanical failure inside of the case.

--wes
true. I missed the "slip" bit in his post; on the other hand, I thought that little "burp" in 2nd under WOT was a problem/slip, when it's the lockup kicking in.

L8 APEX
03-23-2007, 02:31 PM
The intermediate sprag either works or doesn't there is no in between. When it breaks the truck will run up high in 1st and when you let out of the gas it will go to third then 4th OD. The best way to check for this is to drop the pan and look for shiny pieces. Now the intermediate clutches can fade and give a slip 1-2 under heavy load but they will shift normal at part throttle.

Tex Arcana
03-23-2007, 02:35 PM
The intermediate sprag either works or doesn't there is no in between. When it breaks the truck will run up high in 1st and when you let out of the gas it will go to third then 4th OD. The best way to check for this is to drop the pan and look for shiny pieces. Now the intermediate clutches can fade and give a slip 1-2 under heavy load but they will shift normal at part throttle.

Then the guys at the dealer bullshit me (tho, to be honest, they said they found it "going out" and that it was a "known issue", bla bla). I never had that particular problem, it was always that "burp" in 2nd at WOT or high-throttle. :shrug:

tiffo60
03-23-2007, 02:37 PM
Then the guys at the dealer bullshit me (tho, to be honest, they said they found it "going out" and that it was a "known issue", bla bla). I never had that particular problem, it was always that "burp" in 2nd at WOT or high-throttle. :shrug:

ive trashed the sprag twice and same results both time, you know it immediately :cool:

L8 APEX
03-23-2007, 02:42 PM
If the stock tune is on it then it is the torque reduction on WOT shift 1,2 and 3. It makes a blurp or farting noise at WOT shift as the PCM shuts off 3 cylinders for 4 tenths of a second between shifts. This is not a slippage it is a bog. When the sprag goes the trans feels like it is stuck in first gear and revs to infinity then bangs into third.

bluesvt
03-23-2007, 04:51 PM
Huh, always wondered what the stupid noise was when I had it stock. It got real loud once I got my first set of mufflers put on and was kinda embarassing. :rolleyes:

Tex Arcana
03-23-2007, 08:00 PM
If the stock tune is on it then it is the torque reduction on WOT shift 1,2 and 3. It makes a blurp or farting noise at WOT shift as the PCM shuts off 3 cylinders for 4 tenths of a second between shifts. This is not a slippage it is a bog. When the sprag goes the trans feels like it is stuck in first gear and revs to infinity then bangs into third.

I'm talking about that little "hesitation" during acceleration in 2nd, that happens at about 3-4k rpm.