PDA

View Full Version : No winders vista fer me!

L-Fever
07-15-2007, 02:28 PM
Well, I bought myself a new hp dv6500t laptop for home, and promptly removed vista and installed Ubuntu 7.04 linux! I like it a lot! It's NICE! :tu:

slick-svt
07-15-2007, 03:36 PM
Sounds Chinese to me...????:confused:

mikelemoine
07-15-2007, 04:23 PM
What does the linux interface look like, is it comparable to Winders or more like a DOS/text? Can you put a screen shot up? I've always wondered about it...Thanks.

L-Fever
07-15-2007, 04:43 PM
quote=mikelemoine;129555]What does the linux interface look like, is it comparable to Winders or more like a DOS/text? Can you put a screen shot up? I've always wondered about it...Thanks.[/quote]

Sure, Linux is pretty cool these days! Here is compiz fusion, a new windows manager for ubnutu or other linux distrobutions.
5zkvu2daUnU&mode=related&search= (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zkvu2daUnU&mode=related&search=)

charlie
07-15-2007, 04:49 PM
Will all the stuff for the SCT work with it? (Data logging) Witch I still can not get to work for some reason.

Charlie

L-Fever
07-15-2007, 04:52 PM
Will all the stuff for the SCT work with it? (Data logging) Witch I still can not get to work for some reason.

Charlie

Don't know, you would need to install some windows emulator software and try it. Here is another demo.

E4Fbk52Mk1w&mode=related&search= (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4Fbk52Mk1w&mode=related&search=)

charlie
07-15-2007, 05:07 PM
Hummmm I wounder if I can install it without loosing everything I have on my old laptop? I have one program i still use, and can not get it anywhere.

Charlie

Silver_2000
07-15-2007, 05:20 PM

Charlie

The answer is likey NO

None or nearly NONE of the programs you own will run on Linux just like they wont run on MAC OSX. You could run an emulator but its a pain ..

Its a bit of a waste to buy a PC with Vista on it and then put an Open source OS on it .. You wasted about $80-150 depending ..

L-Fever
07-15-2007, 05:43 PM
The answer is likey NO

None or nearly NONE of the programs you own will run on Linux just like they wont run on MAC OSX. You could run an emulator but its a pain ..

Its a bit of a waste to buy a PC with Vista on it and then put an Open source OS on it .. You wasted about $80-150 depending ..

No waste for me! I can run either linux or vista. If I need to. I can always slap vista back on with the handy vista recovery dvd's. I also used ghost to back up my ubuntu linux setup. Open source is cool stuff IMO, if you are willing to work a little! :tu: And, it's uh, totally free!

charlie
07-15-2007, 05:49 PM
No waste for me! I can run either linux or vista. If I need to. I can always slap vista back on with the handy vista recovery dvd's. I also used ghost to back up my ubuntu linux setup. Open source is cool stuff IMO, if you are willing to work a little! :tu: And, it's uh, totally free!

I would have to figure out how to back up everything first. Then I might try it.

Charlie

Chris94L
07-15-2007, 06:47 PM
Downloading it right now. How is this as a distro for a beginner? I have played with linux briefly in the past. Going to dual boot it with a spare HDD in my system.

L-Fever
07-15-2007, 06:53 PM
Downloading it right now. How is this as a distro for a beginner? I have played with linux briefly in the past. Going to dual boot it with a spare HDD in my system.
It's one of the easiest distros that I've used. Use the 32bit live cd first. There is an alternate text based install as well. Their support forums are awesome!

Lyfisin
07-16-2007, 04:06 AM
I always wondered how well Linux would work on brand new PCs. I wanted to get a new Linux desktop at work, but I was concerned a lot of device drivers would be missing when trying to install an OS. (Fedora)

I guess it works ok!

mikelemoine
07-16-2007, 09:53 PM
Looks nice. My Windows XP chick is fat and ugly hehe.

charlie
07-17-2007, 06:40 PM
Well I'm down loading it now. I'm going to try it out on the kiddo's comp first.

As far as backing up every thing. Is Nero burn better or the windows soft ware?

And if I wipe out the windows completely .... Will this back up disk put every thing back?

Charlie