PDA

View Full Version : Found my new hobby....

True Blue Aggie
07-29-2007, 10:15 PM
Anyone have a Talon sticker for the new ride....? :tu:
http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/medium/DSC010061.JPG

Owned for about a week....and already started the mods. The wife is a huge fan of me right now...

L8 APEX
07-29-2007, 11:33 PM
After this last mountain trip I have been looking at other brands. Honda is RELIABLE as the sun coming up in the morning but they are down on power big time. At 13,000ft it was all it had to climb a modest trail. I was getting pulled by 450cc belt driven machines up there it sucked. Pretty much everything else is faster but less reliable, belts get wet in water etc... Let me know what kind of riding you are going to do and I will share my knowledge. I will welcome you to the Rincon rider forum if you haven't found it yet. My next mod is a winch... I think the Maxxis Bighorns are the best all around tire. Stay away from Highlifter springs, I installed a Detroit locker in the front and love it. I'd say a good set of tires are #1, then a locker, winch, etc...
http://www.rinconriders.com
The Rinny is an EXCELLENT trails machine, it is not a great mud machine mainly due to the lack of a locker and low power. Stay with 25" tires. I got so much mud on mine once they would barely turn over.. The locker helps a LOT.

True Blue Aggie
07-30-2007, 07:33 AM
Thanks for the link. I'll register there shortly....

Probably going to be more east texas riding, than high trail riding but I'm up for anything. I need a trailer more than anything else right now. Looking for that this week.

tiffo60
07-30-2007, 07:51 AM
I have always had great luck with yamahas, I havent had one let me down yet. I make hunting trips up in Colorado usually on a yearly basis and the highest we get is 11,500 ft but they still have plent of power to climb the hills and the switch backs, I have a Grizzly and my dad has a Kodiac and they get around great up there

StormShadow
07-30-2007, 08:26 AM
www.redneckoffroadparty.com your in luck it just happend to be in east tx and is this weekend

L8 APEX
07-30-2007, 09:50 AM
Think real hard about getting a trailer that will haul two bikes.. Is your tow vehicle 4wd? Everywhere we ride we try to take one truck and 2-3 bikes. A basic 5x8 will hold one and are about 500 bucks here and there. You can get a 16' tandem utility trailer for $1000 and it will hold 2-3 bikes or a cooler, gear box etc.. Storing the trailer is another issue. We are probably going to get a flat bed car hauler so we can load them sideways and get 3-4 on there.

True Blue Aggie
07-30-2007, 05:28 PM
www.redneckoffroadparty.com (http://www.redneckoffroadparty.com) your in luck it just happend to be in east tx and is this weekend

Already planning on going. Leaving Friday and riding through Sat. evening. Anyone want photos of Mud Girls gone Wild???

slick-svt
07-30-2007, 07:30 PM
Think real hard about getting a trailer that will haul two bikes.. Is your tow vehicle 4wd? Everywhere we ride we try to take one truck and 2-3 bikes. A basic 5x8 will hold one and are about 500 bucks here and there. You can get a 16' tandem utility trailer for $1000 and it will hold 2-3 bikes or a cooler, gear box etc.. Storing the trailer is another issue. We are probably going to get a flat bed car hauler so we can load them sideways and get 3-4 on there.
I got a 16' from Shrick's trailers in Weatherford off 180 and paid $825 for it was a good one and I think it was 83 inches wide. Came with a bulldog hitch.

L8 APEX
07-30-2007, 08:46 PM
You better have some serious tires for a mudfest. How are you living down there? I should cancel my jobs this weekend and whitness this myself!

True Blue Aggie
07-30-2007, 10:36 PM
i'm lookin forward to the riding part, but the east texas redneck can be a bit excessive from what i have seen so far.

Buddy has a place on Cedar Creek. Staying there Fri/Sat. Bout a 10 min drive from Pool Ranch. Your more than welcome to come and ride...

I pick up the new mudlites tomorrow. Would have considered the Maxxis, but they were already bought...

L8 APEX
07-30-2007, 10:43 PM
It sounds like you are riding with some serious mud bugs. That takes an expensive toll on equipment. You will need a front tow point soon. The Guru makes some good stuff. A winch does this as well. Make sure to get a rear hitch thingy before you go. They are 35 at the dealer and 25 for generics online. The main thing is to get some safe tow points so the Polaris guys don't tear your racks off getting you out of the mud. I also have a good tow strap for $10 bucks. I bought a bunch of Koplin straps for our Colorado trip and have 1-2 new in the box. They are normally 20 bucks each.
You have a rear cargo bag? I have a Quad Boss with dual coolers in the sides that works well. Jimmy has a MAddDog from Cabelas that holds a case of beer in ice.
http://www.atv-guru.com/atv-guru_manufacturing.htm

True Blue Aggie
07-31-2007, 06:46 AM
Got the bag I needed from Cabella's this past weekend.. tow points are being purchased today, along with the rear hitch.

L8 APEX
07-31-2007, 08:59 AM
A little trick with the front diff. The front diff is not a locker as you know. So when you are in a situation where it is one wheeling you can apply the front brake. Folks say this causes both front tires to spin again. Oh yeah when you get home check the rear diff. Mine and a lot of others were half empty from the dealer. Their assembly and prep consists of installing the battery, handlebars, tires and engine oil and sending it out the door. You get it from Dallas Honda?

tiffo60
07-31-2007, 09:02 AM
The front diff is not a locker as you know. ?

should have bought a yamaha:icon_mrgreen:

True Blue Aggie
07-31-2007, 09:27 AM
Bought it at Altus Motorsports in Oklahoma....

I'll got to check all the fluids tonight anyways, so I'll check the rear also.

L8 APEX
07-31-2007, 09:43 AM
Belts suck, period. I installed my own locker it was an easy fix. The Rinny is a trail machine not a mud machine. For riding trails and recreational use there is nothing as comfortable and able. For mud bugging there are a lot of choices the Grizz is probably #1 or 2. The Honda lacks a low range gear and locker which is essential for turning big tires in mud. But then you have to seal and snorkel the belt covers and air boxes etc...