PDA

View Full Version : Colder temps are Coming

L8 APEX
10-18-2007, 09:26 PM
Watch the cold fronts L owners. I usually get 4-5 engine jobs every winter. We know I am not in a capacity for that kind of work right now. So take care of those trucks when it gets cold. Run a cold weather tune and listen for any detonation as always.

GoldLS1
10-18-2007, 10:07 PM
Terry you forgot to mention to watch out for those pesky LSx owners!!

Alpine
10-18-2007, 10:24 PM
:d

L8 APEX
10-18-2007, 10:31 PM
Ls's don't pick up near as much power as L's do in the winter. If you would have kept yours and driven it on a 50 degree day you would fallen in love with it all over again.

99WhiteBeast
10-18-2007, 10:48 PM
Ls's don't pick up near as much power as L's do in the winter. If you would have kept yours and driven it on a 50 degree day you would fallen in love with it all over again.

True...true. For 8+ years I have enjoyed it all over again in the fall & winter.

WA 2 FST
10-18-2007, 10:58 PM
Wow... my head is in the sand... just checked and the expected lows for the next week are all in the 50s. Thanks for the heads-up, Terry. I'm pretty easy on the truck, but it only takes one banzai run to screw it up under the right conditions.

Question... I've got about 7k miles and 14 months on the setup you did for me in 8/06. The thing runs perfect, but is it about time for new spark plugs?

Thx.

L8 APEX
10-18-2007, 11:02 PM
I usually recommend fuel filters twice a year or every other oil change 6-10K and plugs once a year which is normally 12-15K for most folks. I don't worry about the plugs wearing out as much as the backing out..

WA 2 FST
10-18-2007, 11:04 PM
But since you put the plugs in, they shouldn't back out. :)

I'll change the fuel filter at the next oil change and probably wait until next spring for the plugs then. Thanks for the help.

GoldLS1
10-18-2007, 11:15 PM

Yeah I got rid of it at the wrong time it of year... however the thought of poppin a motor http://www.ls2.com/forums/images/smilies/ohnoes.gif . No worries for me now http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/images/smilies/LS1Tech/gr_grin.gif .

Sonicblue03
10-19-2007, 08:34 AM
Fixed an annoying rattle in the truck this morning. Turns out a a steel braided hose was rattling against a metal piece just above the brake pedal. (maybe NOS line?) So after that I take it out on the highway and give it some gas to make sure I actually fixed it and noticed another rattle....different. Don't know what it is but it sounds like it is coming from behind firewall, behind the gas pedal, and only does it at 3/4 to full throttle. It's not really loud but sure enough noticeable. :icon_frown:

Silver_2000
10-19-2007, 08:48 AM
Fixed an annoying rattle in the truck this morning. Turns out a a steel braided hose was rattling against a metal piece just above the brake pedal. (maybe NOS line?) So after that I take it out on the highway and give it some gas to make sure I actually fixed it and noticed another rattle....different. Don't know what it is but it sounds like it is coming from behind firewall, behind the gas pedal, and only does it at 3/4 to full throttle. It's not really loud but sure enough noticeable. :icon_frown:

sounds like detonation

Sonicblue03
10-19-2007, 08:48 AM
Also would it be "smart" to have the L re-tuned for cold weather. I have the flip chip or whatever and one tune is for NOS which I will not be running. I assume I could have a tune for cold weather and hot weather?

Beaudee
10-19-2007, 10:14 AM
I usually run my warm tune all year except for the winter months,i just loaded my hot one yesterday and made a run down a back road getting a feel for ennis saturday.Wow ran awsome,got the heart pumpin.I also noticed when you disconnect the battery leads and let her sit for a few(i cleaned the terminals) it seems to react to the new tune faster.Maybe its just me.Ill be running the hot one @ the track with overdrive off.Hope to strike me a shelby.:D

Sonicblue03
10-19-2007, 10:15 AM
sounds like detonation

What can be done to fix it. Could it be from bad gas or something of the sort. What should I check or where should I take it?

L8 APEX
10-19-2007, 10:21 AM
You need to upgrade to the new flash programmers. The blue chips are out dated at this point. What gas do you have up there? OK is usually some of the worst in the country. You can run a bottle of octane booster and see if the detonation goes away to check that. A new tuner would be safer than the blue chip.

Sonicblue03
10-19-2007, 10:33 AM
You need to upgrade to the new flash programmers. The blue chips are out dated at this point. What gas do you have up there? OK is usually some of the worst in the country. You can run a bottle of octane booster and see if the detonation goes away to check that. A new tuner would be safer than the blue chip.

93 octane is few and far between (1 store here in Ada) and 91 is everywhere. There is a local store that sells race fuel. They have 101 that can be run in any vehicle but it's rather expensive. What programmer do you recommend? I will be in Lewisville soon for some work on the CTS-V at RPM. Could they fix the L or are you close and have time to fix it?

L8 APEX
10-19-2007, 10:51 AM
RPM is pretty close. A new SCT tuner would be 400 with 3 tunes on it. Or you could get the new fancy xcal3 for a few bucks more. The tunes are the same but the features are a little different.

Sonicblue03
10-19-2007, 11:00 AM
Is "new" "fancy" worth the extra money....lol I would prefer to get the best for the L in your opinion b/c basically I'm a dumb a** when it comes to working on vehicles.:tex If you would, please, work on the truck can you order the tuner or do I need to buy it somewhere?

kirkmears
10-19-2007, 11:26 AM
But since you put the plugs in, they shouldn't back out. :)

I'll change the fuel filter at the next oil change and probably wait until next spring for the plugs then. Thanks for the help.
+1

sure made for a nice drive this morning...

TXLIGHTNING
10-19-2007, 11:37 AM
I'm going to detune some today. I was out last night and it was around 58*, humidity 25% outside. I got on it and I could hear a slight det in the shift. I immediately let out the gas. You could definitely tell the HP increase with the cold dry air.

projlightning
10-19-2007, 11:41 AM
What would you recommend for a parked gen1? It's been sitting for 6 months or so...

03LightningRocks
10-19-2007, 12:02 PM
Snip..........I also noticed when you disconnect the battery leads and let her sit for a few(i cleaned the terminals) it seems to react to the new tune faster.Maybe its just me.Ill be running the hot one @ the track with overdrive off.Hope to strike me a shelby.:D

No, it's not just you. I also reset my computer when I change the tune. :tu:

BC Lightning
10-19-2007, 02:26 PM
I used to love this time of year, used to be able to get great deals on parts from kids who blew their motors, oh well :rolleyes:

TXLIGHTNING
10-19-2007, 02:51 PM
No, it's not just you. I also reset my computer when I change the tune. :tu:I thought when you load a new tune it resets the comp automatically.

03LightningRocks
10-19-2007, 03:33 PM
I thought when you load a new tune it resets the comp automatically.

Beats me...:tex. I don't know how loading a new tune would automatically clear the computer of it's learned strategies. Maybe it does. I know for sure there is nothing left if I take power off the computer for a few minutes.

TXLIGHTNING
10-19-2007, 04:00 PM
Beats me...:tex. I don't know how loading a new tune would automatically clear the computer of it's learned strategies. Maybe it does. I know for sure there is nothing left if I take power off the computer for a few minutes. When you load a new tune it does away with what the comp has learned and starts over. This is what Terry has told me.

03LightningRocks
10-19-2007, 04:12 PM
When you load a new tune it does away with what the comp has learned and starts over. This is what Terry has told me.

Maybe it does...but I was told to disconnect the battery and reset the computer by the guy who Terry trained under :evil.

Like mentioned above, I have seen my truck act like it took the tune better when I reset the computer. I figure it sure as hell doesn't hurt anything to reset it...so why not do it. Plus it makes you look and feel more official when changing your tune...:D

BC Lightning
10-19-2007, 05:41 PM
Maybe it does...but I was told to disconnect the battery and reset the computer by the guy who Terry trained under :evil.

Like mentioned above, I have seen my truck act like it took the tune better when I reset the computer. I figure it sure as hell doesn't hurt anything to reset it...so why not do it. Plus it makes you look and feel more official when changing your tune...:D

Its what Jim told me to do :tex

03LightningRocks
10-19-2007, 05:44 PM
Its what Jim told me to do :tex

I'm thinking TXLIGHTNING caught Terry not doing it, so Terry said it didn't matter to get out of trouble...:rll:.

Beaudee
10-19-2007, 06:01 PM
The directions in the X2 doesnt tell you to,but next time you all switch tunes try it youll notice a difference.I noticed it the way it shifted from stock shift to (Terry Modified shift) and the pep of the truck.

TXLIGHTNING
10-19-2007, 06:41 PM
Watch the cold fronts L owners. I usually get 4-5 engine jobs every winter. We know I am not in a capacity for that kind of work right now. So take care of those trucks when it gets cold. Run a cold weather tune and listen for any detonation as always. That kind of timing would you recommend for the cold tune? What do some of you other KB or Whipple guys run on your cold tune?

Silver_2000
10-19-2007, 08:02 PM
hooked up my xcal 2 and changed my killer 4# of boost to the PR winter tune

L8 APEX
10-19-2007, 10:22 PM
Let me look at your tunes Doug I may need to update them with new knowledge.
According to SCT 98 and newer Fords the Xcal clears the KAM or learned corrections when you flash it.. Call it the student surpassing the master Rocks:icon_wink:. Disconnecting the battery is an old chip trick it is irrelevant on Flash programmers on 98-up Fords.
Here is the post from one of SCT's head techs for you nay sayers.

Silver_2000
10-19-2007, 10:25 PM
Let me look at your tunes Doug I may need to update them with new knowledge.
According to SCT 98 and newer Fords the Xcal clears the KAM or learned corrections when you flash it.. Call it the student surpassing the master Rocks:icon_wink:. Disconnecting the battery is an old chip trick it is irrelevant on Flash programmers on 98-up Fords.
Here is the post from one of SCT's head techs for you nay sayers.

Im not sure how that post applies to me

L8 APEX
10-19-2007, 10:27 PM
From James @ SCT

Silver_2000
10-19-2007, 10:41 PM
From James @ SCT
I still dont get how that applies to my 2004 Lightning

L8 APEX
10-19-2007, 10:45 PM
Doug... Those are for the fellers that think you need to remove the battery to clear the memory. It has little to nothing to do with your 2004 Lightning.

bluesvt
10-21-2007, 07:58 PM
Doug... Those are for the fellers that think you need to remove the battery to clear the memory. It has little to nothing to do with your 2004 Lightning.

I have not noticed any det since the cold in the morn. I am on the cold tune but I have had a buzzing noise for over a year. :0fftopic Could it possibly be my rotors in the blower making the noise?

BC Lightning
10-21-2007, 11:02 PM

When Jim told me it was with the SCT 9100 tuner, guess I was doing an extra step thats not needed with the XCAL 2 :rolleyes:

03LightningRocks
10-21-2007, 11:52 PM
When Jim told me it was with the SCT 9100 tuner, guess I was doing an extra step thats not needed with the XCAL 2 :rolleyes:

I was told this so long ago that I really am not sure if it was for my 9100 or if it was my flip chip that was involved. I just got in the habit of resetting the battery and never stopped. It gives me a warm fuzzy, so phuck it, I will keep on resetting the damned thing. If Terry doesn't like it, he can kiss my big hairy ass...:tu:.

L8 APEX
10-21-2007, 11:54 PM
If Terry doesn't like it, he can kiss my big hairy ass...:tu:.
Is that where all your hair is going:evil You can do it with the flip of a switch that is like cheating:tu:.

03LightningRocks
10-22-2007, 12:03 AM
As you get older, you stop growing hair on your head and start growing hair everywhere else....:rll::rll::rll:. I just prey It doesn't start growing out of my ears. That always freaked me out as a youngster. Old guys with unibrows and hairy ears....:eek:. Scary stuff.

TXLIGHTNING
10-22-2007, 06:30 PM
What should the cold tune timing be? 12* sound OK? I run 14-15 on my warm tune.

Silver_2000
10-22-2007, 06:48 PM
Well its 55 degrees and the drive home resulted in MANY grins ...

Love the free winter power

dboat
10-22-2007, 06:54 PM

You guys down south in all that cold weather.. its been 80 up here the last two days.. too hot

Dana

03LightningRocks
10-22-2007, 07:20 PM
You guys down south in all that cold weather.. its been 80 up here the last two days.. too hot

Dana

http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/whofncares.jpg

:evil

Mark #2
10-22-2007, 07:52 PM

It is pretty amazing how these trucks wake up in the cooler temps.
Cleaned up the K5 to go to the Smart car thing, so drove the dirty L today and wow.

03LightningRocks
10-22-2007, 07:57 PM
You guys took your Lightnings outside in the rain :eek::eek::eek: ?

Mark #2
10-22-2007, 08:07 PM
Yup, I spent 10 hours cleaning up the K5.

Silver_2000
10-22-2007, 08:10 PM

yes

http://www.talonclub.com/forum/image.php?u=226&dateline=1192834008

dboat
10-22-2007, 08:54 PM
http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/whofncares.jpg

:evil

ME.. and that is all that matters!!::evil

BC Lightning
10-23-2007, 01:21 AM

+1

My truck hasn't seen rain in a longggggggg time

danielvalles1
10-24-2007, 01:02 AM
Yeah mine has been in the rain the driving is a little scary i bearly step on the gas and it wants to drift.