PDA

View Full Version : TALON past present and future ....

Silver_2000
11-13-2007, 08:09 PM
Most of you know that my 2004 Lightning was stolen 2 weeks ago

Its been totaled - Im not rebuilding it or replacing it
I may very well own another at some point but not in the next 6 months or so
I have been asked a few time what does this mean for TALON
Well since we know that Dennis aka Sixpipes has a way with words I asked him to write a blurb about TALON - how it started - what it means and where its going - I think he summed it up pretty well - I made his email an announcement (http://www.talonclub.com/forum/announcement.php?f=2)

Figured we could discuss it here

L8 APEX
11-13-2007, 08:58 PM
I read it and feel the same way. This site is much more than a truck club. I have been part of the Corvette boards, clubs and ATV boards etc. None of those boards have the same mojo of this board. I don't associate with those boards much at all. There has never been and will probably never be another club like TALON for me. I have made great friendships over here and few enemies as well:D. I can travel the country and have a TALON family member to visit with and even a place to stay. From New Mexico, Erie, PA, tarpon fishing in Florida etc.. I have given a lot of myself to this club and the individuals in it. I would like to thank those people for returning the favor. I have developed several key relationships from this site. TALON is essentially my family in many ways. I have access members houses and take care of their dogs. I take vacations with members to Colorado on ATV trips, camping trips. I go hunting and shooting with TALON members. I Spend holidays and attend Halloween, New Years parties with TALON members. Heck I am still able to do work on trucks because of TALON members hospitality. I keep my trailer and tools at TALON members homes. If it wasn't for TALON I wouldn't be here today:tex. There isn't much I wouldn't do for some of you:tu:

Wht95Lightning
11-13-2007, 08:59 PM
I totally agree with what Dennis had to say. If not for this club, I'd have missed out on meeting some really great folks. It's been a long time since I made it to a monthly meeting. Not because I don't want to go, but it conflicts with my schedule. Heck, I hardly ever even drive my L anymore. I take it out once every couple of months to keep all the fluids circulated and roast the flat spots off the tires. :cool:
Still, I visit this forum nearly every day and often 2-3 times a day just for the entertainment value alone. There's real gold here regardless of what we're driving.

Gary

Ohmsby
11-13-2007, 09:01 PM
Well said Mr. Glenn. Many of our L drivers have moved to other rides, I enjoy seeing those friends as well as meeting the new guys

We all have the sickness of mods and going fast so it is a bond rather we still have a L or not

I hope Talon continues to be a the social gathering place that many of us enjoy

If Doug buys a Prius:banned is the only solution. I would bet he comes up with something with a little:burnout:

who knows maybe the gen 3 will come to fruition and all of us will get the piggy banks out

I have only attended the last 2 L fest but we are infamous in central Missouri:D

Mark #2
11-13-2007, 10:09 PM
Well I still tell the urban legend of when I first met you guys and so does the SO. She predicted it before I left that morning.:evil

Really enjoyed, and have a few scars from the early years, installing the some of the first Roush/Hotchkis suspensions, the first Metco lowers, lower pulleys, valve bodies, etc at the WWFB garage.

You had to have boots on for some of the early stories that were told at the WWFB garage, and at times we tried to be soft spoken so the SO wouldn't hear, but she did, and still didn't care about having you guys around.:rolleyes:

Sixpipes and I have had a fun competition over the years, like Gordon/Johnson, pretty much the same stuff over the years and sharing information, we must have run 50 times side by side.

I had some of the best times ever at LFest/FFW weekends, lake events, and Bonedaddy's, some of the pictures from those events are priceless:D

I don't care what you guys drive and consider y'all some of my best friends so hopefully Talon will continue.

Mark

bobbywade69
11-13-2007, 10:15 PM
Well I still tell the urban legend of when I first met you guys and so does the SO. She predicted it before I left that morning.:evil

Really enjoyed, and have a few scars from the early years, installing the some of the first Roush/Hotchkis suspensions, the first Metco lowers, lower pulleys, valve bodies, etc at the WWFB garage.

You had to have boots on for some of the early stories that were told at the WWFB garage, and at times we tried to be soft spoken so the SO wouldn't hear, but she did, and still didn't care about having you guys around.:rolleyes:

Sixpipes and I have had a fun competition over the years, like Gordon/Johnson, pretty much the same stuff over the years and sharing information, we must have run 50 times side by side.

I had some of the best times ever at LFest/FFW weekends, lake events, and Bonedaddy's, some of the pictures from those events are priceless:D

I don't care what you guys drive and consider y'all some of my best friends so hopefully Talon will continue.

Mark

Could have not said it better!!:beer:

danielvalles1
11-13-2007, 10:27 PM
Well i have been a Talon member for not to long but this is the only forum i ever go to its fun i have met some cool people i only see some of you guys like ones a month but when ever we chat online and then i see you in person at a monthly meeting i feel like i know that person. I think Talon is grate, and i will continue to be a member as long as the forum is open and if that meant paying more $ a year i would be more than happy to:tu:

dboat
11-13-2007, 10:30 PM
I am not sure that I can add much new to this discussion, except that I hope my actions as represented by staying active on the board and driving to LFest to be able to hang with the boys for a few days is a small testament to the way I feel about the club.. its more than just the truck, its about the comraderie that exists here..

Dana

even though you guys got brutal on me about my Caddy:twitch:

Shiner1
11-13-2007, 10:58 PM
I just want to second what everyone else has said. I don't post much either but I'm on the site several times each day and I really enjoy it here even though I don't have a Lightning right now. My mom always told me that if I didn't have anything intelligent to say don't say anything....I'll leave that..at that. Everything I know about these trucks, I learned from this site. Ha, Ha I don't know if that's good or bad. LOL!! I got turned on to the site from a really nice guy out at Denton one night and I'm embarrassed to say that I can't for the life of me remember his name. You all know him though. He had a black L with lightning bolts painted on it and a bed cover that opened from the side. I do know that he had some health problems as of late though. I also met T Hogg at the track. When I bought my gen I and my son drove it back from Detroit we stopped in Mckinny for gas and who do I run into? Tom. I have seen Doug a couple of times at the Fox & Hound here in Lewisville. Good times. :bows

Silver_2000
11-13-2007, 11:07 PM
I I got turned on to the site from a really nice guy out at Denton one night and I'm embarrassed to say that I can't for the life of me remember his name. You all know him though. He had a black L with lightning bolts painted on it and a bed cover that opened from the side. I do know that he had some health problems as of late though. I also met T Hogg at the track. When I bought my gen I and my son drove it back from Detroit we stopped in Mckinny for gas and who do I run into? Tom. I have seen Doug a couple of times at the Fox & Hound here in Lewisville. Good times. :bows
that is Ken Cryder - Hope he is doing ok

03LightningRocks
11-13-2007, 11:14 PM
I am thinking...No Lightning??? Your Out. Sorry to see ya go Doug....:cool:.

;):D

I was getting a tear, I was forced to say something off the wall in an effort to fight the urge to call for a group hug.:beer:

Moonshine
11-14-2007, 01:37 AM
Well said by all. Can't add anything but a hearty "Ditto" to what's already been posted by others. :beer:

tiffo60
11-14-2007, 08:25 AM
i have only been a member since 05, but i have met friends for life, almost everyone I have met I would give the shirt of my back if they needed it and I know they wouldnt think twice about doing it for me, a great group of guys :beer:

Woodsman
11-14-2007, 10:04 AM
I am from El Paso, my L has been broken for awhile, but she will rise again! This is the only place I come to to get the straight info on the L. I would love to get to one of the meetings to meet and greet some of the members I read about on line. I believe this to be a great club sure would hate to see anything change L or not. If you have the passion there is no cure. big grin

98Cobra
11-14-2007, 10:28 AM
Yep, ditto what has been said before. This is a great group of people.

And who knows, maybe there will be a Gen III Lightning one of these days, and there will be a whole new flood of people!

99WhiteBeast
11-14-2007, 12:53 PM
Soon after I bought my truck new I attended an SVT event at TMS in the hopes of meeting a few other L owners. I saw a 'SVT Lightnings.com' sticker on the back of a silver truck and approached the owner (not sure if that was Doug or Mark) but they told me about the site and welcomed me.

I attended a few meetings and then asked a member to help me change a fuel filter. I was hoping the member would actually do the work at the time and I would just watch and learn but instead Mark directed me what to do while drinking a Miller Light as I spilled gas all over myself.

The rest is history. I've met some great people through Talon to whom I would help at anytime if I was able and I believe they would do the same for me.

All the Saturday's GTG in my garage, hooters and BD's meets, toy drives, Fun Ford Weekends , Fall Classics, and 5 Lfest's have been a blast.

This club is cool no matter what you drive-all you have to do is just participate.

tliss
11-14-2007, 04:48 PM
Dennis is dead on, as are the rest of the comments here. I know I have not been on the board that much since the birth of my daughter, but I have made some great friends for life. I was fortunate enough to miss the legendary incedent on the way to Hallsville, but came in pretty much right after. The folks I have met over the years will always be buddies and will always be welcome in my house as far as I am concerned. We have definitely had some good times through the years, and the fact that the club goes beyond ownership since some have parted with their trucks yet still hang is very cool. Hell, it goes beyond living in North Texas (Roy in El Paso [we met a few years back at Village Inn on Montana] and Dana up north, among others)! The guys here are almost family to me and I wish I could come out and play a little more. Those folks that just pass through and don't participate miss out on a lot. Those that come and stick around for a while get to really appreciate the folks here, and you know you're one of the gang when general harassment begins!

What would my life have been like without TALON? Well, I guess I'm glad I will never know.

Tom (where's the smiley waving an American flag when you need him?)

TP Derrick D
11-14-2007, 05:16 PM
Well I hope it stays around. The club for Lightnings ONLY was the reason I joined as a Supporting Member back in 2003. Prior to that I had heard of TALON and was just logging on reading as a guest. During my years of L ownership I met some great people. In 2001 I entered the car show @ Ennis with my L and there I met Tony 2000 & his lady. We were the only 2 L's in the car show. He had a great layout along with a RC Lightning & checkered flag theme going on. I learned a lot that day because 3 months prior I had taken a 1st place trophy @ Payton-Wright car show. At Ennis I got nothing but "thumbs ups". At that time L's were still pretty rare and unknown.Tony 2000, Justin Blackwell & myself was in a carshow together the next year or 2 there. Tony even showed me how he cut the fender and put in the BMW vent before the fender vents became so popular now. I think, well I'm pretty positive I met Doug that day in 2001 and told him I had a Silver L that was in the car show and his response was "Lightnings are for racing". If it was the infamous Doug I didn't know him as I do now. That same day I met Dennis brother with the 2 red L's. He talked to me like he had known me for years. Even told me he went to Virginia to get 1 of them because that's the only place he could find one. He also gave me a business card with a pic of the 2000 red L on back #4446. Man I was jealous I didn't have biz cards like that. Anyway he told me about TALON but I didn't know what no TALON was all about. I had tried to get in a couple Mustang clubs but didn't like some of the bickering going on. I was just a free flowing Mustang & L owner going to car shows,races and anything about Ford automobiles. I went to a SVT on track @ TMS and met Dennis although at that time he wasn't the infamous Dennis he is now. he had 20's on his truck...man that was the 1st time I had seen 20's on an L. I watched the autocrossing and seen a silver L passing everbody. That was Terry although he wasn't the infamous Terry he is now. during that event a nice Fox body Mustang with a body kit and a Saleen wing lost control and hit the guard rail and damaged the driver side rear quarter. After that I met Rob after he stopped at my house while I was washing the L or something.At that time he wasn't the infamous Rob he is now. He told me he had an L like mine and I should check him out at Yellow Rose. I said man I go there every year. He also gave me TALON name and Terry Cole name and I said I had his(Terry's) business card I had got from some auto event I attented. He was located in Cresson so I never contacted him, hell I never heard of or knew where Cresson was at. Man I started putting all this info together with the same names coming up so I decide to call Terry one day,luckily he was in the Arlington area and came by my house. He showed me his truck and told me what was done to it. Even took me for a ride....my grandson was about 8-9 at that time and was in love with Terry's truck more than his own grandad...I couldn't blame him tho...Terry's truck was low,had stickers down the side, had a wing on the back, & sound like a mean mojo....after that I decided to do some things to my truck. Terry even told me about TALON and the meetings, so I went to my first one in Arlington off Collins near I-30. can't remember the restaraunt name. Anyway Rob was showing off his new KB that day.It was my first meet and I didn't know any one except Doug, Dennis,Rob & Terry but later got to know more people.Doug was dragging his boat that day. I joined as a Supporting Member and went to the different events...Ennis,L-fest 1 & 2,Fall classic '06 in OK and several BD's & Wing Stop meets. Although I don't make a lot of meets now its not because I don't want to, it just has not been able to meet my schedule. Last month I had back surgery for example. Anyway I used to love knocking down the X-brand non-Ford car lovers off their little tiny throne. But after its become flooded with X-brand non-Ford car lovers it no fun anymore. Damn how things changed, used to be a time couldn't mention anything except Lightnings on here, not even Mustangs. That seems to change after the new Mustang came out. After that it was Mustang talk & all that other brand -X just creeped in. I have met some very nice people on here but I am a true blue Ford guy and that may not ever change. I don't plan to ever get rid of my L, of course something may happen that I have no choice(wreck, big $$$$ offer I can't refuse,a BIG,BIG need for quick $$$ as in life or death or something)I still plan to be a part of TALON as long as its around and I'll continue to mess with the brand-Xer's like Jeffro...& Wa 2 Fast.. I wouldn't be me if I didn't!!! But U'r OK with me no matter if you do drive brand-X.!!!
Doug, sorry your L got snatched, just heard 'bout it, but I hadn't been on here in over a month.

bobbywade69
11-14-2007, 05:25 PM
Two words Whaffle House!!!:evil

Crawford
11-14-2007, 05:34 PM
Amen Dennis. I have not been around much the last couple of years but my last trip out is making me want get my a$$ back in gear. I really miss alot of you guys. I definitely miss the old WWFB days over at Mark's. A few nights of Miller Lite, Skoal Cherry, and wrenching is soul food baby! I may not have my Lightning anymore (sniff) but I will have a fast Ford again before ya know it. Long live TALON!:tu:

L8 APEX
11-14-2007, 05:45 PM
Wow, Derrick that is a real play by play of TALON:bows. I met Doug at a Chuck's cruise show in Grapevine and it was all down hill from there. I knew there was a white L up at the PD but didn't know who's it was. I didn't make a habit of willfully associating with the police at that time:icon_eek:. I met Brian at the Sonic meet with the F150 world guys I think he loaned me some cash for a burger that day.. I remember Dennis stopping by the shop in Cresson to buy parts from me. I was so honored to work for the legend and still am at times. The whole Glen clan is solid gold good people, well most of them anyway... The WH meetings were a ton of fun before starting a days work. I was driving through Grand Prairie a few months ago and figured I would invite Rob to WH since it was close to his house. He didn't answer so I went by myself. I be damn there was bad Rob eating breakfast and doing paper work! We talked a while and he picked up the tab before leaving:tu:. We had some great trash talking during our ER Autocross days. I was a little worried the old guys were going to string me up a time or two:D. But we have all mellowed out and aged well together:icon_lol:.

bobbywade69
11-14-2007, 05:52 PM
I remember Rob coming up to me at Kennadale one nite while I was running my L. And then showing up to my first meeting at D&B. And then meeting Terry to have an exaust system and pulleys and chip install on the truck and then it started from there with get togethers at stevo's house and to meeting Terry at Whaffle Houses in the morning in GP. Its been a great club to be with and lots of friends were made.

jcblack
11-14-2007, 07:25 PM
Dennis is dead on. Like everyone said already, there are lots of good people on this board. I hope that it stays around.

BC Lightning
11-14-2007, 08:03 PM
I met T Hogg back in 2002 when I was hardcore in my street racing days. we were racing down in Duncanville and I bugged him wih every Lightning question imaginable. He told me best bang for the $$$ was chip pulley, filter and slicks, so I did what he told me. I first joined TALON back in Nov of 2002 after blowing up my motor racing on the highway in the cold. After a $8,000 stock block being put back in the truck I met Ken Cryder up in Denton at the track. He told me about TALON and I sold my first pair of slicks to him. Then I sold a single flash blue chip and 4# pulley to Terry with the intent of staying stock. Well since Terry does have a way with words it was back in his shop to be modded. Then I totaled the 2002 L and bought my 2004, had it red tagged at the SVT plant and had it delivered to my house.

The first TALON event I ever went to was a Talon Fall Classic out at Hallsville, we were all speeding with Bad Rob in front when we came over a hill to see a cop gunnin us and Rob slamming on the brakes and it looked like black clouds coming from his Brembos

I honestly never imagined meeting such stand up guys, well with the exception of Uncle Rocks :evil. I do hold every one I know as good friends and know that if I ever had to call on a favor they would do it, as I would do the same for them, again with the exception of Uncle Rocks. Some of my best memories were sitting in Uncle Rock's garage shooting the shit and both of us complaining on how much money we have wasted on our trucks. Tons of good times at the old Safe House, Jeff-ro's management and ordering around i.e. when we had to knock down Steve's fence to get that hot tub out of his neighbors backyard.

The Halloween party at Silky's pad, all the good times at Wes' house, watching football at Jeff-ro's.............

There are just too many good memories and I would be rambling on for hours, so in short I really don't think there is another forum out there where the members are such a close knit family :tu:

Flats Man
11-14-2007, 08:06 PM
I come from Florida every year to go to Lightning Fest with Talon! It is also a family thing for me as the Brother of "The Legend," Brother of Ivanhoe, Uncle of Razor, and Father of Tobbun! I like Talon because you are a Performance Club and most of you have a lot of knowledge about the Gen 1's and 2's. The Club is not about what you drive but who you are. Keep up the good work!!!:icon_mrgreen:

I wanted to ad one more cool thing about Talon! When I joined Talon, I didn't even own a Lightning! I owned a tricked out F150. My first Lightning was a Gen 1 which I still have. Anyway, what is cool about you Guys is that you listed my F150 in the best 1/8th and 1/4 mile times. So it really doesn't make any difference what you drive!

TP Derrick D
11-15-2007, 03:43 PM
Wow, Derrick that is a real play by play of TALON:bows. I met Doug at a Chuck's cruise show in Grapevine and it was all down hill from there. I knew there was a white L up at the PD but didn't know who's it was. I didn't make a habit of willfully associating with the police at that time:icon_eek:. I met Brian at the Sonic meet with the F150 world guys I think he loaned me some cash for a burger that day.. I remember Dennis stopping by the shop in Cresson to buy parts from me. I was so honored to work for the legend and still am at times. The whole Glen clan is solid gold good people, well most of them anyway... The WH meetings were a ton of fun before starting a days work. I was driving through Grand Prairie a few months ago and figured I would invite Rob to WH since it was close to his house. He didn't answer so I went by myself. I be damn there was bad Rob eating breakfast and doing paper work! We talked a while and he picked up the tab before leaving:tu:. We had some great trash talking during our ER Autocross days. I was a little worried the old guys were going to string me up a time or two:D. But we have all mellowed out and aged well together:icon_lol:.

Hey Terry I didn't even go into the times other members stopped by my house to see my Mustang or help me with computer tips or bring a jack,the post was getting long. But the point was that I met some really nice people and I enjoyed and liked TALON because of the Lightning & the people was a bonus. Hey I didn't mention meeting TALON in parking lots for an event just to hang out and then see everyone roll out to an event like Hallsville and I have to roll back home because I had to go to work....man talk about wanting to :crying:

FRDRCING
11-15-2007, 05:21 PM
This by far has been the best site I have been a part of. While owning my 97GT, was a member over on dfwstangs.net and absoluty hated it. But when I got the Lightning and found out about talon that was great. The people we have in our club are the best around. Always willing to help out or provide some info.. I may soon be moving back up north to Kansas City, still will participate online. I will truly miss all the good freinds I have meet because of Talon and the local L community. Then I will be looking for another Lfest so I can come and hang out with the club again.

my2002lightning
11-28-2007, 01:14 AM
In reading this thread, it stirs up quite a few memories.:)

Late '90s seeing a few Gen Is running around OU. After graduation, seeing the promotional pics of the Gen IIs and thinking "I will own one of these trucks someday!". :santa

Lurking around on f150online and TALON in the old-days for Nathan's fly-by video. Kicking around Hallet outside of Tulsa and meeting Ruslow and riding shotgun with him a few times around the circuit convinced me I needed to own one of these Ls.

Through my worldly travels, I found "Suzie" in Montrose, OH. and drove the L down to TX. I remember Terry giving me sh!t about OH plates at the Flying Saucer in Arlington.:icon_mrgreen: I suppose I could get OK. plates and do away with the front plate. :evil

Bottom line, I've met many excellent friends through TALON that have been here for me through recent events. :cool: Many thanks for the offers recently to Thanksgiving Dinner and extended stays at their very comfortable homes - TALON members know who they are, without mention.

I'm glad to be a part of TALON, even though I don't post nearly as often as I would like.

BTW, the L is still safe-and-sound and in the garage.:icon_wink:

Ronald