PDA

View Full Version : An educational Christian video

dboat
04-22-2008, 05:38 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfGytXRpfho

My mother in law sent this to me and I thought it was worht sharing.

Dana

G'Lightning
04-22-2008, 08:30 PM
Hmmm.....Religion is nothing but emotional nonsense,to cover mans fear of death. I put churches right up there with Lawyers and Doctors. $$$$$$:flaming:

dboat
04-22-2008, 09:45 PM
Hmmm.....Religion is nothing but emotional nonsense,to cover mans fear of death. I put churches right up there with Lawyers and Doctors. $$$$$$:flaming:

well, I wont get into a religious discussion with you but its too bad that you feel that way.

Dana

tiffo60
04-28-2008, 10:36 AM
well, I wont get into a religious discussion with you but its too bad that you feel that way.

Dana

+1

BC Lightning
04-28-2008, 10:40 AM

Dana

+2

also about the Dr comment

98Cobra
04-28-2008, 02:01 PM

I'll +1 on ya. I respect people's right to think whatever they wish though.

G'Lightning
04-28-2008, 07:32 PM
I'll +1 on ya. I respect people's right to think whatever they wish though. I totally agree. i dont judge people on there beliefs at all. I could care less if you worship a stick in your backyard. :)

Mark #2
04-28-2008, 09:58 PM
I was raised in a church, and worked in a monastery in high school.
Mom was the choir director, dad the treasurer, basketball coach, and responsible for the parsonage's up keep.

Churches are a business in beliefs, nothing wrong with that.
Not attending a church regularly right now, but I get up early on Sunday and watch Joel Osteen, it is a message, an inspiration, and makes me think about my priorities, morals, and motivations in life.

Reflection at least once a week is a good thing, whatever/whoever inspires it.

I know Joel makes a ton of money delivering his message, but he makes me think about my life decisions, and I am Okay with that.

Religion has nothing to do with fear of death, just how you want to live. :tex

TP Derrick D
04-28-2008, 11:14 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfGytXRpfho

My mother in law sent this to me and I thought it was worht sharing.

Dana

Dana,you have a great mother-in-law.
:bows

Silver_2000
04-28-2008, 11:59 PM
Raised Roman Catholic - No longer practicing - Not sure I ever did.
Tough to listen to an organization that systematically abuses people who arent well equipped to protect themselves and then systematically protects and enables the abusers

My $0.02 is in line with previous statements

Organized religion is about $$ in many cases

I expect that if you are going to talk the talk you MUST walk the walk - thats NOT happening now - Just like most other $$ vbusinesses

I think that some of the guiding principles are great. I believe in prayer - I just dont believe that there is an can be ONLY one god and unless you believe in the one I have chosen you are damned

I agree that its largely focused on addressing fear of death.

BUT you have to agree that if you skim the creme off the top of most of the top 5 or 10 organized faiths - its a decent way to lead your life

PS - Im now reading 2 books about Islam written by my high school english professor who is an RC deacon AND I was married to a Witness - Spend a few minutes comparing and contrasting RC Islam and Witness beliefs and practices and it becomes pretty clear that its all BS and all zealots are confused

L8 APEX
04-29-2008, 07:32 AM
I don't care what they do as long as they are taxed like any other business. The properties and assets they have these days are no where near modest or in need of tax breaks. That would help the economy a ton.

dboat
04-29-2008, 07:49 AM
I was raised in a church, and worked in a monastery in high school.
Mom was the choir director, dad the treasurer, basketball coach, and responsible for the parsonage's up keep.

Churches are a business in beliefs, nothing wrong with that.
Not attending a church regularly right now, but I get up early on Sunday and watch Joel Osteen, it is a message, an inspiration, and makes me think about my priorities, morals, and motivations in life.

Reflection at least once a week is a good thing, whatever/whoever inspires it.

I know Joel makes a ton of money delivering his message, but he makes me think about my life decisions, and I am Okay with that.

Religion has nothing to do with fear of death, just how you want to live. :tex

The true word of God is never wasted.. you're a good man Mark.

dboat
04-29-2008, 07:49 AM
Dana,you have a great mother-in-law.
:bows

Thanks

PUMP
04-29-2008, 10:51 AM
IMO, the underlying motivation is the consequences of a life after death coupled with the logic that says, " If I believe that there is life after death, and I am wrong, my belief has cost relatively little. But if I am correct, my reward is gigantic"

G'Lightning
04-29-2008, 09:14 PM
but I get up early on Sunday and watch Joel Osteen, it is a message, an inspiration, and makes me think about my priorities, morals, and motivations in life.
So you get up early on sundays and turn the "idiot box" on to listen to some man to inspire you? Shouldnt that be a given? I dont need someone to tell me about my priorities in life....Shouldnt you already know them?? Kinda like telling your kids "go to bed or the boogie man is going to get you". Be good in life and you'll go to "heaven" be bad and you'll go to HELL:evil?

dboat
04-29-2008, 09:29 PM
So you get up early on sundays and turn the "idiot box" on to listen to some man to inspire you? Shouldnt that be a given? I dont need someone to tell me about my priorities in life....Shouldnt you already know them?? Kinda like telling your kids "go to bed or the boogie man is going to get you". Be good in life and you'll go to "heaven" be bad and you'll go to HELL:evil?

Gary, it doesnt work that way. and whether you are good in life or not does not determine where you go.. but lets not start a religion thread that has any sort of bashing going on in it because there will not be a good end to it at all.

Dana

Mark #2
04-29-2008, 09:55 PM
So you get up early on sundays and turn the "idiot box" on to listen to some man to inspire you? Shouldnt that be a given? I dont need someone to tell me about my priorities in life....Shouldnt you already know them?? Kinda like telling your kids "go to bed or the boogie man is going to get you". Be good in life go to "heaven" be bad go to HELL:evil?
It is a 30 minute reflection time once a week for me.
Just my time to think about my priorities and what does inspire me. That's all.

tiffo60
04-30-2008, 08:29 AM
Gary, it doesnt work that way. and whether you are good in life or not does not determine where you go.. but lets not start a religion thread that has any sort of bashing going on in it because there will not be a good end to it at all.

Dana

around here a religious discussion can get worse than politics:icon_mrgreen:

98Cobra
04-30-2008, 09:19 AM

Dana

Usually I find that threads like that end poorly because religious people get their feelings hurt. Civilized debate without taking it personally would be awesome, but alas...

dboat
04-30-2008, 10:04 AM
Usually I find that threads like that end poorly because religious people get their feelings hurt. Civilized debate without taking it personally would be awesome, but alas...

That does happen at times, but usually its going to end with no one changing anyones mind about where they stand on the issue(s).

oldfrmtrk
04-30-2008, 03:33 PM
I would rather live my life as if there is a God, and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't, and die to find out there is!

Mark #2
04-30-2008, 09:07 PM

Just for fun, let's do it.

I am capable of civilized debate without taking it personally.
I was the captain of the debate team.:icon_mrgreen:

Religion and politics are always great topics to debate.

I dislike Hillary, Obama is not ready yet, McCain is not that great, and Bush is still an idiot.:icon_mrgreen:

98Cobra
04-30-2008, 09:07 PM
I would rather live my life as if there is a God, and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't, and die to find out there is!

Have you chosen a God yet? You have many, many options. Hope you choose the right one.... :)

dboat
04-30-2008, 09:17 PM
Have you chosen a God yet? You have many, many options. Hope you choose the right one.... :)

Not really, as there is only one..

98Cobra
05-01-2008, 12:39 AM
Not really, as there is only one..

???

I think Hindus, Muslims, and others may disagree.

PUMP
05-01-2008, 01:15 AM
Just for fun, let's do it.

snip...

I dislike Hillary, Obama is not ready yet, McCain is not that great, and Bush is still an idiot.:icon_mrgreen:
You said it all in one sentance, so now there is nothing left to debate.:nono:

dboat
05-01-2008, 04:56 AM
???

I think Hindus, Muslims, and others may disagree.

actually Hindu yes, Muslims no.. they are the same for Muslims, until we get to the Jesus vs Mohammed thing.. but there are chapters of crossover from our bibles.. I will no longer opine on this thread.. because I prefer to try to keep my good relationships here.

Dana

98Cobra
05-01-2008, 07:37 AM
actually Hindu yes, Muslims no.. they are the same for Muslims, until we get to the Jesus vs Mohammed thing.. but there are chapters of crossover from our bibles.. I will no longer opine on this thread.. because I prefer to try to keep my good relationships here.

Dana

Those are just two of the many religions in the world.

Sorry if I offended you. I think its pretty clear what I (don't) believe, but I wouldnt think of any of you differently for challenging that.

dboat
05-01-2008, 08:40 AM
Those are just two of the many religions in the world.

Sorry if I offended you. I think its pretty clear what I (don't) believe, but I wouldnt think of any of you differently for challenging that.

Garrett, you didnt offend me, and probably wouldnt.. but religion can be a very personal issue for lots of folks and there really isnt a need to offend them. Some are open minded about it and some arent. But in the end it is called "faith" for a reason..

Dana

98Cobra
05-01-2008, 09:26 AM
Garrett, you didnt offend me, and probably wouldnt.. but religion can be a very personal issue for lots of folks and there really isnt a need to offend them. Some are open minded about it and some arent. But in the end it is called "faith" for a reason..

Dana

Good. I wasnt trying to piss anyone off.

That said, I think if your beliefs can't stand to be analyzed without you taking it personally, shouldn't you ask yourself why? (This is a rhetorical question - not directed at you Dana).

projlightning
05-01-2008, 09:40 AM
I'm not big into religion and my parents have been telling me for the longest I need something in my life. My reason for not being a part of anything is because of all the hypocrites out there and having a hard time deciding what I want to be a part of. My mom said to me, "All religions will take you to the same place. It's like a maze with a god in the middle and the religions surrounding the maze. They all take different routes but end up in the same place." That made a lot of sense but that was before all these suicide bombers blew themselves and innocent civilians for their god.

98Cobra
05-01-2008, 09:48 AM
I guess they were just in a bigger hurry to see Him than most people.

That, and the virgins.

tiffo60
05-01-2008, 09:58 AM
All the religions arent the same and dont lead to the same God......

If any of yall are stuck in between, pick up a King James or NIV Bible and start with Revelations, then when you finish Rev. go back to Matthew and read the new testiment all the way thru, a couple of times, and you will have your answers when your done....

Beaudee
05-01-2008, 09:58 AM
This will about sum it all up.Race,religion,politics =bad thread.YKadLUXcLJc:rolleyes:Feeling posty today.

projlightning
05-01-2008, 10:05 AM
This will about sum it all up.Race,religion,politics =bad thread.:rolleyes:Feeling posty today.

that is one bad @$$ song..never get tired of that one

98Cobra
05-01-2008, 10:06 AM
All the religions arent the same and dont lead to the same God......

That was the point I was trying to make.

Beaudee
05-01-2008, 10:16 AM
that is one bad @$$ song..never get tired of that one

That one is in my 6 disc gas conserving tunes.Deff. lightning driven music:cool::icon_mrgreen::beer:

dboat
05-01-2008, 10:52 AM
Good. I wasnt trying to piss anyone off.

That said, I think if your beliefs can't stand to be analyzed without you taking it personally, shouldn't you ask yourself why? (This is a rhetorical question - not directed at you Dana).

I would agree with your last comment.. problem is, a lot of folks believe but dont have the requisite background to be able to respond to the difficult questions.

Dana

98Cobra
05-01-2008, 11:09 AM
So do you see this as a paradox?

People get upset when their beliefs are challenged and they are not versed enough to defend them - yet same people can see tragedy happen every day all around them and be satisified with the "God works in mysterious ways" answer.

As a side note, I would also like to point out that my wife is a God-fearing Christian. It actually works well for us - when we debate something and she doesnt know how to defend it, it makes her search for the answer.

dboat
05-01-2008, 11:31 AM
So do you see this as a paradox?

People get upset when their beliefs are challenged and they are not versed enough to defend them - yet same people can see tragedy happen every day all around them and be satisified with the "God works in mysterious ways" answer.

As a side note, I would also like to point out that my wife is a God-fearing Christian. It actually works well for us - when we debate something and she doesnt know how to defend it, it makes her search for the answer.

Not really. Not everything in religion is going to be logical or easily explained. Again, that is why they call it Faith. I agree that when they are challenged people should seek an answer. However, a lot of them dont, maybe its because they dont want to spend the time or they just want to believe what they want to believe. There are many that feel they follow or believe what a particular religion believes only to find out they are not correct in their thoughts and beliefs. It takes time and effort to truly learn, understand and then truly believe. The lord does move in mysterious ways and just because we dont understand why certain events happen a certain way, doesnt mean that he doesnt have his guiding hand involved. It isnt up to us to necessarily understand everything he does. However, I would say that those that want to challenge should also take the time to really learn the bible, not necessarily a certain religion, but what the bible says. Then come back and challenge. Its easier to challenge but if you start reading the good book, it will have an impact on you. Gods words are never wasted.

Dana

dboat
05-01-2008, 11:32 AM
.. I will no longer opine on this thread.. because I prefer to try to keep my good relationships here. Dana

I guess I lied.. well I will keep to my word now.. sorry about that..

Dana

oldfrmtrk
05-01-2008, 02:37 PM

I don’t care about Jesus, I don’t care for any bible, and I don’t care for any specific religion!!!!

However; what I do care for are my actions: So my god might be interpreted as a simple statement:

“ACT RIGHT, AND DO THE RIGHT THING”

ACT RIGHT to the whole human race and animals that surround us, and do the right thing to everyone and anything, when you see need, or someone or something require assistance, offer to help, give to the needy, share what you have DO THE RIGHT THING!!!

Acting right and do the right thing has nothing to do with religion or god, it is the soul within us, the god within us!!!!!

To find god you don’t have to look very far, just look inwards in to you’re self, when you perform a graceful or kind act, look inwards and savor the goodness and satisfaction that you are feeling. That might be you’re god patting you on the back!!

G'Lightning
05-02-2008, 08:03 PM
It is a 30 minute reflection time once a week for me.
Just my time to think about my priorities and what does inspire me. That's all.:tu: Just busting your balls...dont take me serious. Just having a little fun with ya'll...Although i know religon can be a delicate subject.Believe me i know with my mother and her family....not that i dont believe but i like to give them a little crap here and there to keep them in check:tu:

TP Derrick D
05-02-2008, 09:52 PM
I see this is still going, wasn't going to post, had been debating with myself but after 3 days this evening I'm watch b-ball on ESPN and turn to ESPN2 so that I can flip back and forth between the 2 games. Well when I hit my recall it went to ch 8 and 20/20 was on. Their topic was the Sistine Chapel,all this time I thought it was the 16th Chapel so I took it as a sign because I been debating like I said so it must be meant to be this is the 1st post on here since The Mavs fizzled out. Anyway, I'm not big on religion either,was brought up in Christian Methodist & Baptist religion. I go to Church a few times a year & believe in my God, and try to live my life in a way that will get me "there". In a way I'm kinda glad I'm not as religious and self rightous as a bunch of religious hipocrites are. I only know the most famous verses of the Bible and my favorite is 23 Psalms and one I'm not sure how is goes fully but its talking about all children of God being created equal. That's one reason I say they are a lot of hipocrites because you always hear about someone or a religion being "God fearing" but then don't live by the word of God .You always see and reading about those same "God fearing" people mistreating his fellow man and not being tolerant of others whether they have different political belief, religious belief and of a different nationality or racial background. Since I'm not that religious or self rightous I don't know why the different religions have "hatred" for one another, I don't know why Muslims ,Christians, Jews and all others are at odds. I don't know the difference between the Old & New Testament. I do know the meaning of Easter and I do know my wife made me take back a necklace I bought her of Jesus on the cross. Asked why, she said "that's not the way Christians are to remember him". Growing up I know my mom would not have a picture of Jesus in the house if he appeared to white in the pic. Asked why, found out Jesus was from the Middle East(Jerusalem) and a Jew with wooly hair not American and a lot of white Americans like to try and sell the image of him as being white with straight hair. I know that one gonna made a lot mad but oh well.
since I'm not knowledgable about all the differences I don't know i'm not suppose to dislike this or that religion, I don't know I'm suppose to dislike someone because they don't look like me, believe in my policitial & religious views. I am so glad I try to treat anyone & everyone the way I want to be treated. I do believe that any religion that sacrify animals or do harm to children is not one that is acting in the word of God so don't talk to me about it. I also try to live by the unwritten rules that Art posted above. Living this way and by what I learned in the Army, and in EEO classes in the Army and in my current job with the Postal Service I believe has gotten me far and blessed in life with more friends & acquaintances in life than I'll ever be able to acknowledge.

mikelemoine
05-04-2008, 09:25 PM
I guess they were just in a bigger hurry to see Him than most people.

That, and the virgins.

Bet they were surprised when the 72 virgins were MEN!:eek: Here's hoping so, for the 9/11 terrorists anyway.

Silver_2000
05-04-2008, 10:05 PM
I don’t care about Jesus, I don’t care for any bible, and I don’t care for any specific religion!!!!

However; what I do care for are my actions: So my god might be interpreted as a simple statement:

“ACT RIGHT, AND DO THE RIGHT THING”

ACT RIGHT to the whole human race and animals that surround us, and do the right thing to everyone and anything, when you see need, or someone or something require assistance, offer to help, give to the needy, share what you have DO THE RIGHT THING!!!

Acting right and do the right thing has nothing to do with religion or god, it is the soul within us, the god within us!!!!!

To find god you don’t have to look very far, just look inwards in to you’re self, when you perform a graceful or kind act, look inwards and savor the goodness and satisfaction that you are feeling. That might be you’re god patting you on the back!!

+1

Silver_2000
05-04-2008, 10:10 PM
SNIP

However, I would say that those that want to challenge should also take the time to really learn the bible, not necessarily a certain religion, but what the bible says. Then come back and challenge. Its easier to challenge but if you start reading the good book, it will have an impact on you. Gods words are never wasted.
Dana
Reading the many times translated, interpreted and modified stories of 4 guys - Matt, Mark, John and Luke .... That pretty much limits the religious choices to a narrow few...

Silver_2000
05-04-2008, 10:11 PM
Im impressed with both the ideas and the restraint shown

Thanks

Doug

98Cobra
05-05-2008, 01:47 AM
To Doug's comment about the many translations, interpretations, and modifications of those 4 guys...

Don't forget that through the ages, committees at the Vatican have decided what will and wont go in the Bible. By a vote. Weird much?

A good example is the story of Jesus saying "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone". There is some academic debate now about whether that actually happened, or was "voted in".

BC Lightning
05-05-2008, 08:15 AM
To Doug's comment about the many translations, interpretations, and modifications of those 4 guys...

Don't forget that through the ages, committees at the Vatican have decided what will and wont go in the Bible. By a vote. Weird much?

A good example is the story of Jesus saying "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone". There is some academic debate now about whether that actually happened, or was "voted in".

There are also the Dead Sea scrolls that were discovered and are verbatim to present day translation

Ohmsby
05-05-2008, 09:19 AM
I was under the impression that the dead sea scrolls were more of the Masoretic text and that being said would lend themselves more to Judaism

Please clarify your "verbatim" comment

BC Lightning
05-05-2008, 09:25 AM
Please clarify your "verbatim" comment

ver·ba·tim [ vər báytim (http://encarta.msn.com/encnet/features/dictionary/Pronounce.aspx?search=verbatim) ]

adjective Definition:using identical words: corresponding word for word with something else

adverb Definition:in identical words: repeated, written down, or copied word for word

[15th century. < medieval Latin< Latin verbum "word"]

Ohmsby
05-05-2008, 09:29 AM
my point made thanks

Silver_2000
05-05-2008, 09:29 AM
There are also the Dead Sea scrolls that were discovered and are verbatim to present day translation
There is some debate as to who actually wrote the scrolls and since MML&J were NOT represented in them can we then discount their writings completely based on that ?

History = His Story

98Cobra
05-05-2008, 03:34 PM

From Wikipedia:

Although a few of the biblical manuscripts found at Qumran differ significantly from the Masoretic text, most do not.

(emphasis mine)

It doesnt help this discussion for you to just go copy and paste the definition of verbatim from somewhere, especially if it is not actually verbatim.

03LightningRocks
05-06-2008, 12:06 PM
I just got this in an email. Normally wouldn't have given it much thought but this thread caused me to read the email.

Digital Angel unveiled

A NASDAQ-traded company has finally unveiled its long-touted and highly controversial "Digital Angel" -- a subdermal microchip implant designed not merely for keeping tabs on pets, but for widespread, worldwide use in tracking human beings.

The high-tech device, engineered by Applied Digital Solutions, Inc. had its debut Monday before an overflow crowd of more than 300 invited guests at Cipriani 42nd Street in New York City.

The audience included U.S. Secretary of Commerce Norman Mineta, who addressed the crowd, as well as other government officials, potential joint-venture/licensing partners and press representatives.

Richard J. Sullivan, Applied Digital Solutions' chairman and CEO, waxed eloquent about the market potential of Digital Angel, claiming the company has "uncovered a total marketplace that is conservatively estimated to exceed $70 billion."

Randy Geissler, chairman and CEO of Digital Angel.net Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary, zeroed in on potential applications.

"Our analysis shows that we are well-positioned to move quickly into certain applications while developing a number of others. Two areas of particular interest are in the healthcare arena," he said, "monitoring heart disease and respiratory disease patients." The tracking and monitoring of pets, he added, is also "right up our alley."

The demonstration, which was conducted by Dr. Peter Zhou and Dr. Keith Bolton, showed how Digital Angel "can be used to monitor a person's key body functions -- such as temperature and pulse -- and transmit that data wirelessly, on a real time basis, along with the accurate location of the person, to a web-enabled ground station or monitoring facility," according to a press statement.

The technology consists of a miniature sensor device, designed to be implanted just under the skin, that captures and wirelessly transmits the "wearer's" vital body-function data, such as body temperature or pulse, to an Internet-integrated ground station. In addition, the antenna receives information regarding the location of the individual from the GPS satellite. Both sets of data -- medical information and location -- are then wirelessly transmitted to the ground station and made available on Web-enabled desktop, laptop or wireless devices.

A more sophisticated version of microchip technologies currently used as electronic ID tags for pets, Digital Angel is powered electromechanically through muscle movement, or it can be activated by an outside monitoring facility.

As WorldNetDaily has reported, in addition to locating missing persons and monitoring physiological data, Digital Angel will be marketed as a means of verifying online consumer identity for the burgeoning e-commerce world.

In August, Sullivan told WND, "We are currently talking to a watch maker who is interested in placing the device on the back of their watches." He added that "technology is being developed that would allow Digital Angel to function from the back of a cellular phone, transmitting bio-sensor information when carried by the user."

And in an interview last March, the chief scientist, Zhou, told WorldNetDaily he believes the implant will be as popular as cell phones and vaccines.

Digital Angel "will be a connection from yourself to the electronic world. It will be your guardian, protector. It will bring good things to you," said Zhou.

"We will be a hybrid of electronic intelligence and our own soul," he added.

Sonicblue03
05-06-2008, 01:27 PM
The end is near!

Mark #2
05-06-2008, 06:49 PM
TI is making these implantable chips.

http://www.wfaa.com/sharedcontent/dws/bus/stories/DN-timedical_27bus.ART.State.Edition1.7b3d5f.html

Maybe get a DLP chip implanted on my Titanium eyebrow so I can project the images I have stored in my brain.:icon_mrgreen:

Silver_2000
05-12-2008, 10:03 AM
Saw this today and thought it was fitting to my earlier points

I was walking across a bridge one day, and I saw a man standing on the edge, about to jump off. So I ran over and said "Stop! Don't do it!" "Why shouldn't I?" he said. "Well, there's so much to live for!" "Like what?" "Well... are you religious?" He said yes. I said, "Me too! Are you Christian or Buddhist?" "Christian." "Me too! Are you Catholic or Protestant ? "Protestant." "Me too! Are you Episcopalian or Baptist?" "Baptist" "Wow! Me too! Are you Baptist Church of God or Baptist Church of the Lord?" "Baptist Church of God!" "Me too! Are you original Baptist Church of God, or are you reformed Baptist Church of God?" "Reformed Baptist Church of God!" "Me too! Are you Reformed Baptist Church of God, reformation of 1879, or Reformed Baptist Church of God, reformation of 1915?" He said, "Reformed Baptist Church of God, reformation of 1915!" I said, "Die, heretic scum", and pushed him off.

Sonicblue03
05-12-2008, 10:17 AM
Saw this today and thought it was fitting to my earlier points

:rll::rll: :tu:

98Cobra
05-12-2008, 10:24 AM
LOL, thanks Doug!