PDA

View Full Version : Spark Plugs

dboat
05-31-2008, 10:07 PM
Is there anything new regarding spark plugs? I see those new E3 plugs and I believe there is some others on the market too.. NGK has Iridiums, but so does everyone else these days.. ACDelco, Bosch, Champion and then Motorcraft has platinum plugs like everyone else.. Then there are Bosch +4, Autolite HT, etc etc etc... so are we still running the same stuff or has anyone tried any of the new stuff and have it work better?

Dana

L8 APEX
06-01-2008, 12:13 AM
I think the Brisk or Splitfires will give you the most performance. If not then the Bosch +4.

dboat
06-01-2008, 12:03 PM
I think the Brisk or Splitfires will give you the most performance. If not then the Bosch +4.

Gee thanks.. :nono:

Mark #2
06-01-2008, 07:01 PM
I have run these for years.
http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/products/spark_plugs/iridiumix.asp?mode=nml

dboat
06-01-2008, 07:25 PM
I have run these for years.
http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/products/spark_plugs/iridiumix.asp?mode=nml

Mark, thanks:tu:, I am pretty sure that is what Terry put in my truck at last years LFest..

I was just wondering if anyone had tried some of the new plugs and got better results..

Dana

WA 2 FST
06-01-2008, 09:11 PM
Mark do you have a specific part #/heat range that we should be using in our Gen 2s?

I'm most likely going to be taking mine to the dealer to have them install some plugs within the next couple of months. It's been awhile since mine were changed. The truck runs fine, though.

L8 APEX
06-01-2008, 11:47 PM
You and Todd need to bring your trucks over one day. It has been hard for me to get up your way on the weekends. I tried to get stuff done for Todd this weekend but he was in Oklahoma...
I just use the TR6 plugs they are 15 bucks a set and when you change them once a year or so they are fine. The iridiums are 3-4 times more expensive about 70 bucks a set. We have gone back to copper plugs they seem to dissipate heat better than the iridium. I will install whatever you want. We have to special order the iX's. I was a huge Denso 20, 22, 24's fan in the early days but cost and availability make the 15 dollar TR6's very favorable. I'd rather change them once a year and know they are tight and fresh. If you try to get 2-3 years out of iX's you still need to make sure they are good and tight. I have run 23lbs of boost and 100shot of nitrous on TR6 plugs and they ran perfectly. The lower mass micro fine electrodes on Iridium plugs can focus heat and gain temp faster than the larger TR6 electrodes. This can lead to detonation IMO.

WA 2 FST
06-02-2008, 08:04 AM
I thought you used TR6 plugs, and not some fancy plug. Good to hear you still like those plugs. I agree with your thoughts. I've always been a fan of changing a plug more often, than trying to get away with a "long life" plug, but then again in every other vehicle I've owned changing plugs was a 15-20 minute endeavor.

I should probably break down, buy all the special swivels/extensions and learn to do it myself.

I cannot get down to you on the weekends. There's just no way. I could do it during the weekday if we scheduled it, but I know you have a job too.

Mark #2
06-02-2008, 08:16 AM
Mark do you have a specific part #/heat range that we should be using in our Gen 2s?

I'm most likely going to be taking mine to the dealer to have them install some plugs within the next couple of months. It's been awhile since mine were changed. The truck runs fine, though.

I use the TR6IX plugs.