PDA

View Full Version : Bow Hunters

Beaudee
09-18-2008, 10:12 AM
Southern deer huntin(Bow) season around the corner.Post the best rack Vs, deer vs, weight.I have a good feeling this year.Got bear/pig/deer/bigfoot pics under my feeder in Okla..Oct 1ST:bowsSome bucks gone 2 pay:DPost up,Yankee hunters 2.Heck East coast got the advantage.:rll::rll::rll:Everything bigger in Tx. and Esp. Okla...Ronald dont let us down:d

dboat
09-18-2008, 12:27 PM
Another guy and I are trying to book a hunt.. but the move is messing things up for me.. I would love to get a big buck this year.. but will have to wait and see. Good luck out there..

Dana

I dont think Ronald does bow and arrow though.

my2002lightning
09-18-2008, 04:25 PM
Actually, the http://www.talonclub.com/forum/images/smilies/ronald.gif has bow-hunted for whitetail successfully (sort-of) in OK. :icon_cool:. It was bow-season a few years ago. Well before the "pressure" of rifle-season as the bucks are not so nervous.

I'm sure I've posted this before here...

I'm about 15' off the ground in my stand overlooking a pecan pasture when a mature bachelor-herd about 150-200 yds away. NICE 8-12 ptrs. from what I could see with naked eye as I only had my bow.

It was was one of the most memorable experiences in the field. It was interesting to watch them and their "body-language" as they all walked there as group, communicated amongst themselves and the more-mature bucks went there way and the less-mature went there way.

I was watching all this and was nocking my arrow and seeing what was going to happen next. The younger group (8 ptrs.+) were headed my direction. Just my luck. :hammer:

The younger ones fanned out behind my stand in a creek-bottom and I took the best shot I could take at the lead one. I grazed his belly and he made a circle around and marched closer to me.

Alot of cover in the trees, but as the 4x4 approached....I thought I had a COM shot. The 2nd arrow hit foliage of some sort on it's way downrange and hit the buck square in the flank. I'll never forget that sound.

I tracked him for a while, but to no avail around dark-thirty. The grandparents, while checking their cattle-herd on this particular property, found the skull/antlers/spine soon thereafter.

I have the skull and 4x4 rack at home. Coyotes did a number on the nose portion.

I seem to have better luck with the steel (.30-06 / .300 Win. Mag.). Decent 4x4 and a higher-scoring 5x4. That .300 hit that 5x4 like a freight-train! :icon_cool:

I do have my eye on the PSE split-limb, twin-cam bow line. Very nice.

I have a new secret-weapon now, though, that goes "bang". :icon_razz:

slick-svt
09-18-2008, 08:30 PM
I'm ready 15ft up in a tree on the edge of my property right off the end of a big pasture and plenty of cover( were they think their safe) about 20yrds to the feeder.