PDA

View Full Version : good machine shop?

mustgofaster
12-27-2008, 09:17 PM
I need to find a decent machine shop that won't screw me over too bad. (preferably near the So. Arlington area, if possible) my gen 1 popped a good coolant leak on the lower intake today & with 217K on the clock, I just hate to go that far without pulling the heads. Then add the leaky rear main (bad leak) it seems logical to me to just yank the engine & go through the whole thing. (last compression check had about 17% diff from the best to worst cyl anyway)
So... I need to find a decent machine shop for a simple freshen up. Nothing real fancy, but quality is a must... It's got to last until I have the $$$ for my 393 stroker.
On the same subject, does anyone have a n engine lift and/or stand that I can borrow?

Thanks!
Steve

L8 APEX
12-27-2008, 10:10 PM
I use Wells in Duncanville

mustgofaster
12-27-2008, 10:26 PM
I use Wells in Duncanville

I was just checking out their website... Any idea how they are price-wise... I wasn't exactly planning on doing this right now, so I'm trying to stay under 2K.

I'll definately give them a call monday.

L8 APEX
12-27-2008, 10:49 PM
I have never heard them called cheap. I thought it was a reasonable price for perfect work.

yadisisp2
12-28-2008, 12:29 AM
Wayne Calvert is pretty good. But he's in Denton.

Shiner1
12-28-2008, 05:29 PM
Wayne Calvert is pretty good. But he's in Denton.
I have heard good things about this shop but no experience myself.

Chris94L
12-28-2008, 06:25 PM
Where at on the lower Steve? A gasket or the EGR coolant line? really I'd say leave the stock engine alone/fix whats wrong with it now and keep saving pennies for the 393 so you aren't spending the same money twice.

mustgofaster
12-28-2008, 09:51 PM
Where at on the lower Steve? A gasket or the EGR coolant line? really I'd say leave the stock engine alone/fix whats wrong with it now and keep saving pennies for the 393 so you aren't spending the same money twice.

I'm with you on that, but... The leak is on the lower where it meets the head; towards the front just behind the thermostat housing. At first I thought that it was the housing, but I now know that it is not. So; with the intake off, it really isn't much more work to pull the heads & with the miles, I know it needs it. That leads me to the bottom end. Honestly, it is probably OK, but I've got a bad rear main leak (pretty sure it's got a groove worn in the crankshaft) & If I'm already going to pull the heads anyway, they will be easier to pull out of the truck, & I can get @ the rear main @ that point. Of course, as long as it is out & torn down, I figure that it would be a shame not to freshen it up.. Mainly because with 2 little ones, (both under 2) I don't see me doing the 393 anytime in the near future. I think that I can afford a freshen up for the engine, & hopefully that will buy me enough time for the 393. I've been putting this off though, because I hate to do it twice... I'd rather just do the stroker & be done with it. Too bad I don't have more $$$ to play with.:icon_sad:

99WhiteBeast
12-29-2008, 01:05 PM
Let me know when you get ready to pull it- I would be glad to help out

mustgofaster
12-29-2008, 11:51 PM
Let me know when you get ready to pull it- I would be glad to help out

Thanks!... If you've got time, should be Wednesday. I plan on getting the tranny/fuel/elec/& cooling disconnected in the AM & Charlie will be by around lunch with a hoist so we can yank it out.

Do you still have my #?

charlie
12-30-2008, 07:35 AM
I have heard good things about this shop but no experience myself.

They are an excellent shop. But I have a friend that owns a shop and is very good, and willing to do it CHEEP! <---- Only because I work on his machines for a Pepsi or 2.

Steve, I will be there before noon. And the better half ain't coming. Have Pepsi ready! :tongue:.

Charlie

99WhiteBeast
12-30-2008, 09:51 AM
Thanks!... If you've got time, should be Wednesday. I plan on getting the tranny/fuel/elec/& cooling disconnected in the AM & Charlie will be by around lunch with a hoist so we can yank it out.

Do you still have my #?

Send it in a PM- I work Wednesday but probably can step out earlier if its slow

Chris94L
12-30-2008, 11:23 AM
give me a call steve im off tomorrow and wouldnt mind stopping by

charlie
12-30-2008, 12:17 PM
Stop by the house, I'll take you the rest of the way. (save a little gas)

Chris94L
12-30-2008, 03:27 PM
what time are you planning on leaving? I really think it would take about the same amount of time either way.

charlie
12-30-2008, 04:17 PM
9.30----10ish

Or when I have had my fill of my morning coffee

mustgofaster
12-30-2008, 09:21 PM
give me a call steve im off tomorrow and wouldnt mind stopping by

Looks like I lost your #... I'll PM you mine

Thanks!

mustgofaster
12-31-2008, 08:48 PM
almost got it out, but ran out of time. Just have the motor mounts & wiring harness to disconnect, hook up the hoist & she's outta there. Going to start late tomorrow though... After 2:00.

Chris94L
12-31-2008, 09:57 PM
Sorry I missed out today. Believe me I would have much rather been wrenching on trucks than what I ended up doing.

mustgofaster
12-31-2008, 10:14 PM
Sorry I missed out today. Believe me I would have much rather been wrenching on trucks than what I ended up doing.

No problem... I know that you'd rather twist a wrench on a gen 1 than play plumber any day.

PoorSvtman
01-01-2009, 04:52 PM
if ya still need a hand let me know.. Itd be fun to work on a L again

i also if your going to mess with the cams i have the valve spring tool so you dont have to use a big flat head or pry bar..