PDA

View Full Version : How long do slicks last?

Sandman
03-27-2009, 11:48 PM
So, a set of slicks that are rarely used, when should the be replaced? 5 years? longer? less?

ONROIDS
03-28-2009, 07:02 AM
i wouldnt think age would matter as long as they werent cracked or dry rotted.

dboat
03-28-2009, 09:01 AM
So, a set of slicks that are rarely used, when should the be replaced? 5 years? longer? less?

wondered the same thing myself.. question is, does the compound get harder over time without cracking or dry rotting to cause a loss of traction?
Roids, I was thinking like you on this one but began to wonder if my prior statement makes a difference..

Dana

ONROIDS
03-28-2009, 04:27 PM
im really not sure ive seen shops selling some pretty old slicks before.

True Blue Aggie
03-28-2009, 06:13 PM
All you need is one good long burnout to take care of the slicks. Confirm that you dont have dry rot or something easy like that on the sidewall, and take care of the "slick" on that 1st burnout.

Should have no problems if you follow this tested method...:icon_twisted:

Sandman
03-28-2009, 06:13 PM
I bought these last year and I'm pretty sure they were 5 years old then. When I ran them I didn't really see any better 60' times, but then again I'm mostly stock. I don't remember them spinning, so I don't think the compound is hardening, at least not to the point that it matters for me. But more than anything, I don't want to be rocketing down the 1\4 mile and have a tire fail at 140mph :)

True Blue Aggie
03-28-2009, 06:24 PM
I bought these last year and I'm pretty sure they were 5 years old then. When I ran them I didn't really see any better 60' times, but then again I'm mostly stock. I don't remember them spinning, so I don't think the compound is hardening, at least not to the point that it matters for me. But more than anything, I don't want to be rocketing down the 1\4 mile and have a tire fail at 140mph :)

If they're screwed on the sides, make sure you have no loose screws, and they have no flat spots (assuming that you stored them inside and on their sides) and go racing.

And you will never hit 140......The track is a 1/4 mile, not a 1/2. ;)

tiffo60
03-28-2009, 08:39 PM
if they were in climate controlled room they will last a long time, but if they have been sitting in a shop and gone through a few cycles of the seasons(hot,cold,hot,cold ect.) they will harden up and loose some of there soft sticky features

Silver_2000
03-28-2009, 10:10 PM
if they were in climate controlled room they will last a long time, but if they have been sitting in a shop and gone through a few cycles of the seasons(hot,cold,hot,cold ect.) they will harden up and loose some of there soft sticky features

+1

Sandman
03-28-2009, 10:18 PM
If they're screwed on the sides, make sure you have no loose screws, and they have no flat spots (assuming that you stored them inside and on their sides) and go racing.

And you will never hit 140......The track is a 1/4 mile, not a 1/2. ;)

haha.. nice:icon_mrgreen:

Been meaning to hang them on the wall, but they're just laying flat on their sides stacked right now.

dboat
03-29-2009, 09:27 AM

thats what I was thinking.. I bought mine used from Tom Liss a few years back and they were used then.. now they have been on their rims and hanging from the wall plus used a few times.. I will get me some new tires when the L gets to Dallas.. thanks guys!!

Dana

TT_6SPD_95
04-01-2009, 12:51 AM
Slicks that have just been sitting around for a long time will definitely not do as good as slicks that are brand new.

I personally had a set of slicks sitting around for a long time because I was upgrading the car, etc. It took me a while because I was very busy all the time with other things, but the slicks were hardly used and when I got the car back out I had to turn down the boost and even then the slicks wouldn't even handle that 900rwhp level even in 4th gear (5th is 1:1 in this car BTW). It took halfway through 4th gear before the car would actually hook...when the tires hooked though you definitely knew it. :)

That first night I had the car back out with the old slicks I was racing an '08 Hayabusa that wanted to run that night. I absolutely had to turn the boost down because the car just wouldn't hook at all with the old slicks...we stayed next to each other all the way till about half way through my 4th gear where my car actually hooked and then the car pulled away from him rather quickly. :) There are videos around somewhere of this race and many others, but I will see if I can find a few of them.

Take Care

TT_6SPD_95
04-01-2009, 01:10 PM
I posted all that about the slicks spinning when they were just old with not that many passes on them, but I never posted an update after purchasing new slicks.

Well let me tell you it was absolutely NIGHT AND DAY difference after I put the new slicks on the car! I could actually put power down even in part of 1st gear and all of 2nd...the car puts you back in the seat very hard now. It maxes out my G-meter on the Pioneer AVIC-N1 pretty easily too. LOL

dboat
04-01-2009, 07:30 PM
I posted all that about the slicks spinning when they were just old with not that many passes on them, but I never posted an update after purchasing new slicks.

Well let me tell you it was absolutely NIGHT AND DAY difference after I put the new slicks on the car! I could actually put power down even in part of 1st gear and all of 2nd...the car puts you back in the seat very hard now. It maxes out my G-meter on the Pioneer AVIC-N1 pretty easily too. LOL

Thanks for posting this:tu:.. I do think I need new slicks at this point..

Dana

TT_6SPD_95
04-06-2009, 03:55 PM
Thanks for posting this:tu:.. I do think I need new slicks at this point..

Dana

No problem. Glad I could help. What size of slicks do you have on the truck anyway?

dboat
04-06-2009, 06:58 PM
No problem. Glad I could help. What size of slicks do you have on the truck anyway?

Tony, I dont know because I am not home in Erie to go see. But I am guessing that someone on the forum knows since Tom Liss used to run them before me..

Dana

TXLIGHTNING
04-06-2009, 07:27 PM
Tony, I dont know because I am not home in Erie to go see. But I am guessing that someone on the forum knows since Tom Liss used to run them before me..

Dana They are prolly 28x10's on 16" rims.

dboat
04-07-2009, 10:38 PM
They are prolly 28x10's on 16" rims.

that sounds about right..