PDA

View Full Version : Ticking problem....help!!!

1stlightning
05-18-2009, 10:44 PM
I am about to loose my mind.:flaming: Here is the problem. I am hearing a slight ticking from the passanger side by the fender well. It gets louder when I put it in gear and you can definatly hear it when I drive it. I sound like a small exhaust leak. I have taken it to a couple of exhaust places and they can't seem to locate it. They have looked around and even double checked the collectors. I was thinking it could possibly be the exhaust manafold gasket, but it is not as loud when I listen to it from under the hood. Is there a sensor or plug of some sort that I am not seeing? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. The temper is right at the boiling point.

L8 APEX
05-19-2009, 12:08 AM
It could be a spark plug about to launch.

1stlightning
05-19-2009, 07:24 AM
It could be a spark plug about to launch.

If that was the case, I would be able to hear the ticking better when I listen from under the hood. Is that correct?

Alpine
05-19-2009, 07:32 AM
Terry is right, I wouldnt drive the truck another foot until you check your plugs. Same thing was happening to me and a week later the plug launched.

02BOLT
05-19-2009, 10:43 PM
Is the ticking synonomous with RPM? If so, PARK IT & CHECK YOUR SPARK PLUGS IMMEDIATELY. Most likely, the infamous ticking noise you are hearing is air escaping around a plug that has worked itself loose, and threatening to launch, thus taking the threads with it. This is a known, common and well documented issue with all of the SOHC 5.4's and even V-10's of this era(including naturally aspirated Expeditions, F-150's, F-250's etc...not just the Lightnings).

1stlightning
05-20-2009, 07:34 AM
Thanks fellas. I'll check it out.

00SVT04
05-20-2009, 10:54 PM
Do 8 thread heads have the same problem?

02BOLT
05-20-2009, 11:33 PM
Mainly the '02 and prior. The 8 thread heads that came on the '03 and later trucks seemed to quell the issue(to my knowledge). Still a good idea to check them from time to time...

1stlightning
06-01-2009, 12:37 PM
Thanks for all the input fellas. The plugs were ok. I did however find out that it was the exhaust manifold gasket. Broke one of the bolts off in the head in the process of changing it. :flaming: Took a while but it is fixed now.