PDA

View Full Version : rough idle in gear (Chevy)

projlightning
06-18-2009, 08:53 AM
Haven't had any luck on chevy forums...:(

63 Belair with carbed sbc 350 & TH400 (kickdown not hooked up)

I have rebuilt the edelbrock 1406, plugged power brake port, replaced intake manifold gaskets, new vacuum line from carb to trans modulator and from carb to vacuum advance. Other misc things I did was new plugs and adjusted valves.

Will start right up and idle around 950 and will occasionaly rise to about 1400 and go back down to 950 (In park/neutral)

When in D or R, will idle so low that it stalls in a few seconds.

Any ideas?

Would the missing kickdown have an affect on how it idles in gear? I'm thinking the modulator valve may be the culprit....

slick-svt
06-19-2009, 06:03 AM
Hey Rudy I have never had any luck with the edlebrocks, I'd put a holley 4779-6 on it.....check the modulator valve also check the plugs sounds like it loading up....These L's that I have are my first Fords Iused to live and breathe chevy...

charlie
06-19-2009, 08:01 AM
Hey Rudy I have never had any luck with the edlebrocks, I'd put a holley 4779-6 on it.....check the modulator valve also check the plugs sounds like it loading up......

+ 2 . Also make sure your timing is correct, and your mechanical/vac. advance is working properly.

slick-svt
06-19-2009, 11:45 AM
Put a vac. gauge on the carb put the parking brake on adjust the air/fuel mixtures until you get the most vac.

charlie
06-19-2009, 01:11 PM
Oh yeah. I for got about that. Damn computers!

projlightning
06-22-2009, 11:31 AM
thanks for the advice guys...
still haven't tinkered with it but will keep you updated..

I used to live and breathe chevy...

I may need your expertise to help me get this thing running... :tu:
I'm going to try an make this edelbrock work for now....don't have $400 for a Holley