PDA

View Full Version : Carbon Fiber Project

PUMP
08-01-2009, 11:05 AM
I have been wanting to try some carbon fiber layup. So, I put a carbon fiber skin on the radiator air defector. This is easier than building a mold and then the finished part from the mold. Came out OK for my first try at a large part. Was originally going to go the mold route but didn't want to spend $50 for a spare air deflector.

Next I'm going to try making a mold of the battery distribution junction block cover and then lay up the cover with carbon fiber.
Isn't retirement great. Plenty of time to try some of the things that interest you.

boostaholic
08-01-2009, 01:38 PM
where do you get that stuff at?

nacklas
08-01-2009, 01:48 PM
Looks good!

PUMP
08-01-2009, 02:05 PM
I got the carbon fiber cloth on Ebay. Depending upon width and weave, 3K cloth runs $20 to $45 a yard. It comes in higher strength thread (9K, 12K) but you do not need that strength for appearance items. I got the epoxy resin at West Marine (US75 and Royal area).
Here is a good place to start your research. I reccomend that you do a lot of reading before you decide to tackle a project.

http://www.fibreglast.com/showproducts-category-Epoxy%20Resins-5.html

There is also a good site with DIY video on skinning an object but I do not have the actual link. Just Google on "carbon fiber" and you'll get a lot of hits.

Shiner1
08-01-2009, 05:55 PM
That's cool. I need a cover like that for the Gen 1.

04 RedApple
08-06-2009, 09:52 AM
That's a nice looking job! Well done!