PDA

View Full Version : My new Lightning crash

zforce77
09-12-2009, 04:21 PM
I purchased an 03 mint lightning Thursday and was driving back from Louisana and around Baytown 1 hour into the drive I was following a Caddy about 10 car lengths behind who ran over a semi retread tire and threw it right up into my bumper and grill. I couldn't have done anything to avoid it or I would have had a bigger crash. This truck did not have a dent or scratch in it, looked like it came off the showroom floor. I am sick about the whole thing and now looking and researching for parts to fix it. I am looking for a lower grill, heat exchanger and have to have the front bumper cover repainted. Where around the DFW area can I find some parts or suggest where I can get some parts. I have looked at a Afco heat exchenger and have a bid on Ebay for the grill. Any help I would appreciate.

Shiner1
09-12-2009, 04:33 PM
Welcome to the board Jeff. Sorry to hear about your truck. That sucks. I'll bet somebody here has a lower grill. Yours was stock I assume. Upgraded heat exchanger is a +. I have a Gen 1 so I can't help you with parts but I'm sure another TALON brother can. Again welcome to TALON. :tu:

zforce77
09-12-2009, 04:37 PM
Thanks for any help I can get. Glad it raining cuz the truck is sitting. Need to get her back up and running as soon as I can. I can get by with a heat exchanger for now and get it to my friends body shop for the paint work. Thanks again and looking forward to joining in on some meetings.

Ohmsby
09-12-2009, 04:48 PM
I may have a stock lower I will look at the "World Headquarters" Tomorrow

Welcome to the board

zforce77
09-12-2009, 05:16 PM
Thanks, just found a used stock heat exchanger here in S. Arlington from a post off a Ford150 site. Made my day. I still want to get together with a bunch of you guys and get some ideas on upgrades for my truck. Thanks again for the help. Any of you guys play golf, let me know as I work at a private club here in Grand Prairie.

L8 APEX
09-12-2009, 06:00 PM
Don't buy a new HE they are 6-800 bucks from the dealer the same with the lower grille. Either get used for 50 bucks or billet grills for 200. Aftermarket exchangers are 200-300 and much better than stock. The bumper cover is 650 at cost and is in low supply. Repaint will probably be around 250-400 for a good job that won't chip too quickly. There is nothing as tough as factory paint.

SS THiS
09-12-2009, 08:34 PM
Sorry to hear and X2 on what L8 Apex said

BC Lightning
09-12-2009, 09:04 PM
Clark Bros. in Arlington are the best painters around!!! They re-painted my Lightning after another shop messed up on it. Looks flawless now!! They also painted the bumper and hood on the Vette. It looks brand new now

zforce77
09-12-2009, 10:20 PM
I know Eric at Clark Bro's and they do great work and I will get an estimate from him also. Thanks again guys I realy appreciate all the inpute.

boostaholic
09-13-2009, 08:58 AM
i wish my ole man still owned his body shop in arlington for times like these, i use to get people hooked up all the time when i was with another 3rd gen camaro club.

Ohmsby
09-13-2009, 07:27 PM
sorry no lower in the loft

zforce77
09-13-2009, 08:39 PM
Thanks for looking. Anyone have a good spash gaurd as it got ripped off also. Put the used heat exchanger on today as there was a break in the rain and am back on the road for now. Now I have to title it and pay the taxes so this week has been a little expensive.

1stlightning
09-14-2009, 09:50 AM
Ouch! That is a ugly sight. I know how you feel. I was ran off the road 2 weeks ago and still working on getting mine fixed. Not much damage but I'm thinking of repainting the whole truck.

What golf course do you work at? I am thinking of playing this comming weekend. (not good, but I enjoy it)

dboat
09-14-2009, 07:01 PM
Thanks for looking. Anyone have a good spash gaurd as it got ripped off also. Put the used heat exchanger on today as there was a break in the rain and am back on the road for now. Now I have to title it and pay the taxes so this week has been a little expensive.

thats is just darned painful to look at.. but glad its not any worse than that too.

Dana